SMS / Text Auto Responder

• Idea
  • Updated 1 week ago
  • Under Consideration
  • (Edited)
Hello! An Auto Text Responder would be a huge benefit to Ring Central. I'm a US customer and am a Realtor. There are auto Text responses that would help me greatly to be able to tell clients I'll get back to them shortly-whether I'm with my family, in another meeting, etc. I can see this use being helpful in many other industries as well and really think this should be an immediate addition to your services. When all people need immediate responses these days, this would be priceless!! Thanks for any help you can offer!
Photo of Brooke Sines

Brooke Sines

• 1,830 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Josh Considine

Josh Considine

• 202 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
In our business, not having the auto-reply to sms/text is a liability. Even if we turn it off, through RingCentral engineering, clients would still not get a "this number does not accept texts" message. Clients/senders cannot tell the difference between the RingCentral number and just a regular cell phone. People, especially younger clients, expect that when they text, someone will receive it and respond. This means that clients may be texting at all hours, and we have no way to direct them to the proper channels. We don't have control over our own communication streams. The current RingCentral sms/text function hurts our business, and we pay RingCentral for that liability.
Photo of Glenn Hay-Roe

Glenn Hay-Roe

• 658 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
And this is why some customers have moved on from Ring Central to other solutions.
This issue has been discussed on these forums for about 2 years, and Ring Central has not yet provided this feature.
If you're expecting it in the near future, you may be disappointed.
Photo of Jay Nichols

Jay Nichols

• 2,820 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
This and several other items that have been floating around here for a few years.  RingCentral hasn't provided several features that have been requested.  I keep hearing excuses like "it isn't easy".  If it was easy, I'd do it.  But alas, we keep paying for an inferior product.  Eventually, we will all be gone to providers who listen and act.
Photo of Glenn Hay-Roe

Glenn Hay-Roe

Sadly, this may be true.
I've even seen sales reps for competitors trolling here, saying "we can help", and still RC doesn't act. 
Please share when you find a better option, I'd be interested.
Photo of Mobile Tech Computers

Mobile Tech Computers, Champion

• 214 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I really need this, I don't understand why it cannot be done. For example when I turn my extension to busy or "Do Not Disturb" it auto sends a txt message to every txt when activated.
I would like mine to say: 

AutoReply: Your txt has been received. I will respond when available.
For ER Service Please Call: 800-555-XXXX

I am getting so bombarded with txt messages its crazy, and everyone thinks they are more important than the next as well as giving me attitude if I don't respond or respond right away.

Then when I put my extension back on to normal or Available it turns off the auto texting feature.
This is needed, for meetings or even after hours or I can list an endless amount of reasons.

Thanks for hearing my rant, Jake
Photo of Thompson

Thompson

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled SMS Auto Reply.

Account type: US
A brief description of the business: Law office
A high level description of the product or feature being requested: A feature when a customer sends a text message to our main number the system will generate an auto reply 
A typical use case scenario explaining how your business would use the feature: when customer tested to text our main hotline number 
Benefit of such feature: no more misroute or wrong mode of communication 
Include any related case number if applicable: 
Number of Users and/or Digital Lines: 10

Photo of Jay Nichols

Jay Nichols

• 2,690 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Welcome to the party.  This has been going on  for 3 years or more.  Still nothing from RingCentral.  But it doesn't hurt to keep asking......   Excuse me Sir, can we have Auto Responder?  NO!  Pathetic customer support.

Photo of Timothy Garner

Timothy Garner, Champion

• 566 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Don't feel bad. I ran into them at ITNation a few years back and simply asked about an integration with ConnectWise. The response I got was sad and hilarious. They acted like they were too good to write the integration. Looked down their nose and stated it will exist when ConnectWise pr someone else rights it. Like they were too big and how dare I even ask them to integrate. Then bragged he could write the integration in a few hours but why would he. 

I walked away from that interaction laughing with the thought maybe that was just that one guys' personality but apparently not.
Photo of Jay Nichols

Jay Nichols

I can see that happening......   Some of the responses as to WHY they can't do something are pretty funny.  Like, writing the code isn't easy.  Well, it's been quite a while since I've done any programming, but it seems to me that it shouldn't be too hard to incorporate some of these requests into the current software.  But why would they?  When our contract comes up, we probably won't renew...  why would we?
Photo of David Lee

David Lee, Official Rep

• 290 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hi Timothy, I understand it's frustrating when a vendor is not able to fulfill an integration request like this; I have been in the same shoe when dealing with our own vendors.

Our policy around integrations is that we will build and support integrations based on customer demand volume.  This is why you see the likes of Google, Microsoft, Salesforce, Zendesk, Box, Okta, etc, with "published by RingCentral" in our App Gallery.  We have received a handful of ConnectWise requests over the years, but those customer asks simply have not been at the same level as requests for the 2 dozen+ Office integrations we build and support today.  And while it is true we have SDKs and embeddable widgets that makes writing individual integrations relatively straight forward for developers, maintaining and supporting each integration do add overheads that requires us to draw a line.

We do understand those integrations are no less important to customers who asks for them, which is why we rely on our partners to fulfill those asks.  I have reached out to ConnectWise to see if they have an interest in doing the work, but so far they're taking a similar position as us.  In the meantime, we do have 3 partners (Tenfold, Zapier, and PieSync) that operate ConnectWise integrations into RingCentral you should take a look at.
Photo of Carl Saytor

Carl Saytor

• 516 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Wow,  this request has been going on for years.  I am getting ready to jump ship to a new provider,  I just can not take it anymore that RingCentral will not give us an autoresponder for SMS.  Why are they not listening? Do they care?  Is this hubris or just negligence. I do not understand. Mr. Shmunis can you help us?
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

• 67,790 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Carl & Everyone,

I completely understand how frustrating it is to see a Feature Request be on the docket for years. I've recently asked for an update on this request since it was switched to Under Consideration - hopefully I receive more information about it!

Collaboration and communication is very important and, unfortunately, it has been lacking internally. But with some great people on my team and the Product Team, we’re really making strides towards showing how important the feedback we receive on the Community is and how it can immensely benefit all of our customers. Without all of you, RingCentral would not be where it’s at right now. So we can’t thank you enough! We truly hope to get the top most voted feature requests on the Community onto the roadmap  it’s at the top of this team’s priority list (among other really exciting things). I know you all have been waiting years for some things...we ask that you all bear with us just a little longer as we get this ironed out internally and prove to you all that we are listening and care.
Photo of Carl Saytor

Carl Saytor

Thank you Saadet from your kind response.  I think this is a sincere reply.  To put it simply some folks like me want nothing to do with SMS. Text messages are not a powerful enough way to work with my clients and we do not want or need another communication channel. But we can not stop our clients from texting us and we do not want to look like we are ignoring them. Other folks want and need SMS, but need a way to let their clients know they have received the message after hours or when they are occupied and they will get back to them.  The common thread is that we all need an autoresponder for SMS messages.
Please,  would you kindly forward this request to someone higher up who is empowered to make this happen. 
Photo of Jay Nichols

Jay Nichols

• 2,840 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Thanks Saadet, unfortunately unless someone high up in the pay grade at RingCentral realizes these "requests" by their customers are more important than "other really exciting things", "all of you" will become "some of them" as the rest of us will be somewhere else that already provides what has been asked for for years.  Not just SMS, but everything else on the customer's want list.  We don't use SMS in our business, there are other ways for our patients to contact us.  And since nobody monitors it closely, we'd rather just shut it off completely.  
I've been hearing words similarly to "prove to you all that we are listening and care."  Words without action become routine buzzwords that we all say "yeah, yeah" and go on our way.  
How  about something like this (which was implemented at a medical program we used 8 years ago...._)  Updates on the top 10 items to be implemented in the next release.  If the items that have been requested during the last 3 years aren't on the list, you just might see a mass exodus.  If they are on the list, we will be apprised of the progress periodically.  I think that would do more to retain customers than every once in a while telling us that "we're working on it".

Photo of Glenn Hay-Roe

Glenn Hay-Roe

So true, Jay, so true!

I had this response penned to Saadet, and have been dragging my heels on posting it, but am going to do so now.

Saadet, I agree with Carl, and believe that your comment is sincere and that your intentions are good. 
I mean no disrespect in saying this, but I'm afraid that for some of us, it's just too little, too late. 
For our company, SMS is critically important, and I believe that we may have just found another provider that is: 
(1) less expensive than Ring Central 
(2) supportive of SMS auto-response (and many other SMS features)
(3) very competitive in terms of voice features and 
(4) seems to be superior to Ring Central in terms of CMS integration. 
We'll know for sure within the next week or so, but it may be time for The Coin Trading Company to vote with our pocketbook, and migrate our services to a new provider. 
And the sad part is that if Ring Central had just listened to us before now, and implemented a relatively simple feature, it would not have come to this.
Best regards,
-Glenn Hay-Roe
503-354-1039
(Edited)
Photo of Carl Saytor

Carl Saytor

Hi Glenn,  will you post the name of the provider you are considering switching too?  Really appreciated. 
Photo of Glenn Hay-Roe

Glenn Hay-Roe

Carl (or anyone) that's why I posted my number, feel free to call or (dare I say) text me.... Thanks.
(Edited)
Photo of Josh Considine

Josh Considine

• 202 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Does anyone know of a third part plug-in that supports auto response SMS?
Photo of Glenn Hay-Roe

Glenn Hay-Roe

I received the recommendation of Zapier, and tried and tried, communicating with them as well as Ring Central, and was not able to make it work.
The add-in could not parse out the incoming DNIS digits (phone number) and could only send a message out to one number in response to the incoming SMS message. 
Obviously, that was of no value to me.
If anyone has been able to make Zapier work in the year since I tried, I haven't heard of it.
I could've engaged programmers, but was not willing to go that far. 
People keep recommending them, but I have not heard a true success story, as far as I know.
If you want to learn more, or hear the latest update I have, call or text me at 503-354-1039.
-Glenn

Photo of Jay Shoemaker

Jay Shoemaker

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This feature is important. Here is why. 
  • I have ring central so I can "turn off" my work phone. 
  • Customers after hours must be directed to the tech support line. 
  • After hours customers text me asking for technical support. 
  • They think I'm ignoring them. 
An auto responder would allow me to direct customers to the right channel after hours. 
Photo of Jay Shoemaker

Jay Shoemaker

Can someone list the names of similar services to RingCentral that does offer this functionality?
Photo of Jay Nichols

Jay Nichols

good luck, as you can see, this has been swirling in the porcelain bowl for quite some time now. 
Photo of HAY-ROE

HAY-ROE

• 434 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Yep, we got tired of not getting a response, and we have ported our main number and our service to Simplii. (www.simplii.net)

They're super-responsive, I can actually talk to them on the phone, and so far I get very fast results!
Service is better in every way, and the price is about half of Ring Central. Time will tell, but so far, we couldn't be happier!

As I'm going to write to my Ring Central Account Manager and the "RingCentral Executive Response Team" member that also wrote us.... (like a whole lot of good that "escalation point" did us!)

After over a year of seeing Ring Central ignore our request, as well as seeing evidence of many other customers asking for the same feature (and other features) for years before that, we've decided that enough is enough.

We've found another provider that:
-Supports text message auto-responses (which was the missing piece for us), 
-Offers a software client that operates as an extension to Google Chrome (great workflow efficiency for us as compared to running the client in a separate window as Ring Central does)
-Offers great CRM integration (something we really needed)
And....
-Is about half the price of Ring Central!

So, it's goodbye to Ring Central... our port request has been submitted!

Wishing everyone here on the forums all the best, and hoping that you find the right solution for your communication needs!
-Glenn Hay-Roe
The Coin Trading Company, LLC
503-354-1039
(Edited)
Photo of atari800xl

atari800xl

• 422 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Fixyourfunnel - it's in conjunction with Infusionsoft and it's fantastic.
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 37,222 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
But that does not help when a company, like mine and maybe many others, do not do email marketing or use InfusionSoft. It won't work without InfusionSoft.
Photo of atari800xl

atari800xl

Precisely why I noted this, Jan. RingCentral seems blissfully unaware that their competition is doing texting much better than they are. I feel it needs to be known that competitors are doing it better, since obviously these forums are nothing more than an echo chamber to voice complaints about RC's system.
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

I agree with Jay Nichols. I was about to add that if I was doing email marketing, I wouldn't want to have to pay for Fixyourfunnel in addition to RIngCentral....and if I was using something other than InfusionSoft I would have to pay for that as well.

Even though you noted it, it is somewhat like comparing apples to oranges. Normal business texting does not compare on the same level as email marketing and text marketing campaigns. We all would like a text auto-responder to work how most of us work.....WITHOUT having to purchase additional software or systems to act as a bandaid (as Jay mentions).
Photo of atari800xl

atari800xl

I agree with both of you. I don't have Fixyourfunnel. I just have been through their demos. They are a full-blown VOIP provider, meaning you could replace RC with them. They're centered on Infusionsoft though, it's a good market for them and that's the integration they've chosen. I just don't see RC doing anything until we take a different approach and bring to light the vendors that are actually doing what we want them to do. Case in point, this was posted 2 years ago. RC hasn't done anything to address this. There's a post 3 years ago regarding other texting capabilities like being able to text from the main line. FYF can do this. RC needs to know that others are doing what we're asking them to do, that it's not rocket science and these are features that every business owner would use.
Photo of atari800xl

atari800xl

Fixyourfunnel does this alongside Infusionsoft. It's amazing.
Photo of Jay Nichols

Jay Nichols

Is this another system to pay for on top of the one that SHOULD work?  A bandaid?  Or are you selling something.  Infusionsoft is an email and sales platform.  
Photo of atari800xl

atari800xl

Couldn't agree with you more Jay! Fixyourfunnel (FYF) would be a replacement platform for RC. I don't want to do that. I just want RC to handle texting better. (no, I'm not selling anything, I'm a paying RC client and have heavily considered FYF).
(Edited)
Photo of Kelley Sparacino

Kelley Sparacino

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Feature Request- Auto-text msg reply for sms disabled phone numbers.

I would like to make a feature request. We use Ring Central at our law firm. We have disabled the SMS feature for our main number but would love to have an auto response sent to the text sender notifying them that text messages are not received on this number.Please advise if this is something that can be done and soon. THANKS, Kelley Sparacino/Office Manager
Photo of HAY-ROE

HAY-ROE

• 434 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This feature has been requested by my company for over a year, and on these forums for about two years.
The "and soon" part is very unlikely, in my opinion (if at all...) 
We eventually ended up moving to another provider, though we have not yet cancelled all of our services with Ring Central.
Best of luck!
(Edited)
Photo of YippeeKayaye

YippeeKayaye

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Curious which provider and if they have the cloud PBX and a robust conferencing solution.  We are just getting started with RC.  The attraction is a cloud based PBX and conferencing provider.  We also use RC Rooms.
Photo of Al Gomez - 323

Al Gomez - 323

• 60 Points
I would love to hear the thoughts from the admin. It's been a couple of years, until now nothing has been in progress. Do you have suggestion, i would like to try other provider.
Photo of Jay Nichols

Jay Nichols

It would be nice to hear from someone with authority in this company, but it seems that nobody really cares.  This is only one of many requests that should be incorporated over the past 3 years or so.  I feel like every time someone jumps on the band wagon here all we get is a middle finger.

Photo of Jonah Dupont

Jonah Dupont

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled RingCentral must create an auto-reply feature for text messages. It's a major voi....

auto reply text messaging 
Photo of Gloria Jenkins

Gloria Jenkins

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled SMS Auto Repsonse , SMS Batch Communication to mass incoming callers (API), or in....

SMS - Auto Repsonse , and SMS Batch Communication to mass incoming callers (API), or integrated Ring Central without manual entries?
Photo of Shaun Hollis

Shaun Hollis

• 172 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Is there a way to put a notice out there that says this number does not accept te....

We have a main business number that does not receive text messages.  We would like the ability to have a message returned to a customer that texted the main number, telling them that is does not receive text message and that they should call the number and speak with an agent.  U.S. account, we provide roll-off containers to retail and commercial customers.  The benefit of such feature will ensure that revenue is not lost due to lost communications.  We have 7 digital lines that tie into 1 main line.
Photo of BullyingCanada Inc

BullyingCanada Inc

• 162 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled SMS Messages -- Auto Reply?.

Is there a way to be able to use a auto reply option for incoming text messages by chance?
Photo of Jorge Fernandez

Jorge Fernandez

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled sms auto reply.

sms auto reply 
Photo of Weilun Fu

Weilun Fu

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled An auto replay text message to people while you are driving on the roads?.

when you are driving on the roads, you get a text msg in Ringcentral phone app. You want to notify your client that you are driving and will get back to them when you stop the car or pull over to the side. Can we add that function in the Ringcentral phone app?
Photo of Ralph Milone

Ralph Milone

• 712 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Just an FYI, what we did was actually create an IVR menu where callers can request a customized text that directs them to a link on the internet that allows them to submit an online form.   That IVR choice goes to an extension that has a mobile device that is set to not answer but text back any incoming calls.  This prompts the custom text message.  Its unfortunate that we had to "Think outside the box" but it works.  Im sure businesses would benefit greatly from an automatic custom text back off an IVR selection and there are no companies offering such solutions out there.  Think this would be a gold mine for ring central if they were able to implement such a feature.  Being they already offer SMS textng in the network, this really shouldn't be too hard to create.
Photo of Ralph Milone

Ralph Milone

• 712 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled IS THERE ANY FUTURE PLANS FOR A TEXT BACK OPTION.

I had addressed this in the past.  We needed the system to send out automated text messages on user extensions as part of a way to automate an IVR option where the customer can request to have a text message dispatched to them with a customized url link to access certain information of the internet.  For a short time we had to use mobile devices attached to those IVR extensions.  Those devices were set to drive mode to dispatch the texts.  We came across another service that does this and are temporarily using them to automate the texts.  Its cheaper than using mobile devices and I dont have to keep those phones active and constantly plugged in.  Here is the service we are now using for text backs.   Are you guys planning anything like this?  With the issues that the new interface has been having and lack of this feature, we may be looking to move.  You can review this feature on their website... https://phonewagon.com/automatically-send-text-messages/  I really like Ringcentral.  Upgrades to admin portal have soured me as there was nothing wrong with the old interface and its constant work to try and restore something that wasnt broken.
Photo of GeneralMailbox

GeneralMailbox

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled main number rejected text autoresponse.

We sometimes receive texts to our main office number from people trying to reach individuals. These texts could be read from the desktop app and email notifications once the office was open, but being the main number they could NOT be replied to or auto responded in order for the sender to find out their message was not delivered to the intended recipient.  The 'fix' suggested was to turn off SMS to our main number.  This fails as now people can still send a text but NO notification is sent to them their text did not reach the party and no notification comes in for us to reach out to them later and let them know that.

If a number is set up to receive texts, it should also be set up to reply to them.  It would be more helpful to have the text rejected outright and/or reply with an auto-response the text was not delivered.  This flaw is a big reason I currently would not use or recommend  RingCentral for the other company I work for.
Photo of Aaron

Aaron

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Out of Office - Text Replies.

I was wondering if there is any plan to add automatic text message responses to texts when I have an out of office enabled? I spoke with a support agent who told me it wasn't available and this would be a great feature to add!
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

No...that doesn't solve it. It adds additional expense plus an additional phone number.
Photo of Kat Milano

Kat Milano

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I highly recommend adding an auto response feature to your texting service as wel....

It is absolutely critical to offer templates and auto responses to your texting serivce!!!
Photo of Nancy Johnson

Nancy Johnson

• 62 Points

Well, THIS is disappointing that here we are in mid 2019 and we still cannot do an automatic reply.  This is a real problem for those of us in mental health care who may have clients texting about more than appointment times. We need an auto reply feature NOW. 
Photo of Serena Motelewski

Serena Motelewski

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Ring Central auto-replies for sms/text messaging.

A lot of businesses use RC to text with clients. When we are out of the office and texts come in, it would be helpful to have an auto-reply set up (much like Outlook provides with emails) to remind clients we are out of the office. This would be especially helpful for workers who are on vacation and don't have RC access to respond to client inquiries. 
Photo of Beaux Pilgrim

Beaux Pilgrim

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled auto reply.

Please add auto reply as an option for text. If a person is out of office they should have the option just like voice mail.