Block or Text 5 Digit Numbers

• Idea
  • Updated 12 minutes ago
  • (Edited)
I'd like to be able to block these type of numbers. We receive 1-2 SPAM messages a week from 5 digit numbers.Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Unable to send SMS to a 5-digit number.
Photo of Zarios Hair Salon

Zarios Hair Salon

• 996 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Carrie Weyer

Carrie Weyer

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Please allow us to block these numbers.
Photo of RCUserSince2007

RCUserSince2007

• 676 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
We have been receiving a few robocalls - and live telemarketing calls - per day on our RingCentral phones for years.  Sometimes a dozen or more per day.  Now we're beginning to receive the junk SMS messages, too - both from the 5 digit senders, but also from presumably spoofed regular looking 10 digit numbers.  It sure will be nice once RC begins to take meaningful action to offer useful tools to block all this spam - it really makes the service cost a lot more than it seems.
(Edited)
Photo of Danno

Danno, Champion

• 28,044 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Example of 5 digit SMS

Photo of Ian

Ian

• 200 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
There needs to be a blacklist created by RC with a Database of these spam/robo callers.
Photo of William Avon

William Avon

• 296 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Unfortunately, RC can't blacklist phone numbers or 5 digit short codes because:

1. the scammers change numbers like I change my underwear - so when a new customer gets the old spammers phone number, no one will be able to receive a call from them if they are on RC. So a global blacklist won't work.

2. there are a finite number of shortcodes. There seem to come in 5 or 6 digits, so that's 99,999 total shortcodes (using 5 digits).

Multiple businesses use the same short code. For example, 31313 is used by real businesses for reminders AND I've received total crap that I never opted into as well. 

Just a perspective to put out there so there is a little more understanding.

Scammer and Spammers Suck!

HOWEVER! The simplest solution is RC allowing us to send and receive SMS with shortcode numbers so we can reply "stop" in the thread to opt out. 

Hope that helps! Wasn't coming "at you" with my reply... just posting some other technical scoop around it. 

Upvote RC for us to allow SMS with 5 and 6 digit shortcodes!!
(Edited)
Photo of Ian

Ian

Why can't they block alll 5 digit numbers from texting? Spammers change numbers, but I highly doubt a customer or user will get that same #. Still think a blacklist would be better then manually doing each one on our end everytime. When users across RC receive these I blame RC for allowing them globally through the system.
Photo of Peter Yagecic

Peter Yagecic

• 194 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Yes, please allow my RC line to reply to 5 and 6 digit SMS numbers! Without this functionality it's WAY too easy to sign up for an SMS campaign with your Ring Central line and then never be able to STOP the messages. I signed up for Shine texts (https://premium.shinetext.com) a while back using my RC number and when I wanted to stop getting them I couldn't reply STOP to the service from RC . I had to reach out to Shine directly to ask them to remove my number (which they did), but I should have been able to do this from the RC side.
(Edited)
Photo of Peter Yagecic

Peter Yagecic

• 194 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Blocking all 5/6 digit numbers from texting to RC is not a good solution.  There are legit services (not just spammers) that use shortcodes of 5/6 digits.  If RC is going to permit any SMS use on its platform, it needs to embrace the entire standard (including allowing replies).  By not allowing RC numbers to reply to legit 5 or 6 digit senders, they have only half embraced SMS communication and created a serious flaw where people can't reply STOP to legit senders.
I agree...I do not need a home warranty three times a day or texts from a 5-digit number to "Jameson" about what is going on in the world.  I can not disable text messages because some are actually legit.  I am just the admin and I will not put RingCentral on my personal cell phone.  Blocking the number automatically puts a "1" in front so that is no good. This needs a solution please, it has been way too long to figure this out.
Any updates on this? Our organization has been getting unsolicited login codes from apps we don't use, and would like to be able to block the numbers out of concern someone is trying to scam us (I do not want to reply because that would let a potential scammer know our number is "live"). Here's an example:

(Context: MAZON is an anti-hunger advocacy organization. Sammy is an Administrative Assistant, Barb is our COO. Neither had even heard of the Cash App that claimed to be sending the message, and we do not use it in our operations.)

Photo of Saadet - Community Moderator

Saadet - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 66,364 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi all!

I'm unable to test this myself, but if you block the 5 digit number on the RingCentral (glip) app and via your online account, does it work? I'm being told that it should be working now so I wanted to verify with you :)

If it's not working, can you please share some screenshots?
(Edited)
Photo of Ian

Ian

If you read through the thread most don't want to block individual users with each spam they get after the fact.
Very time consuming and frustrating for users and admins alike.
Photo of K McDaid

K McDaid

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Can you explain how to block a text in glip, the only option I can see is to delete the individual message, I see no option to block.