Call and Text - Choose Outgoing Numbers

• Idea
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
1.  Several clients all over North America
2.  Many types of businesses operating in several area codes.

Here's my feedback/concern:

With the hard launch date of the new Glip app looming (October 2019), I wanted to ask if anyone else will have problems with the new way calls and text messages are sent.  1) The (old) platform allowed users to send and receive calls and texts from any of the additional numbers on the RingCentral account.  With Glip, this apparently won't be possible. For my clients doing business in several different area codes, this will greatly affect how they operate.  This was a big selling feature for RingCentral.  Thoughts?
Photo of Howard

Howard

• 172 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

• 2,148 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Selectable Outbound Caller ID for Calls works fine in the new RC desktop app. Selectable Outbound Caller ID for Texts does not work, even though the feature now shows under the Preferences Menu option.
Photo of Howard

Howard

Got it.  When will the select outgoing number for texts feature be implemented?
Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

Technically, it's there. It just doesn't work. I believe the right question is.. when will it be fixed?
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

• 4,138 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
On Desktop, I don't think the 'launch' is coming until 2020.  I think they are further along on mobile.  Maybe I missed a change in those dates?
Photo of Jessica - Community Moderator

Jessica - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 8,272 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hey Bob, you're right. It'll be a rollout in 2020. Keep an eye on your email as you'll be receiving specific info :) 
Photo of Howard

Howard

Thank you Bob/Jessica.  Do either of you know if a (functional version of the) select outgoing number for texts feature will be included in the 2020 release?  Perhaps sometime before?
(Edited)

Hi Howard, 

The function does exist, and does work. I just tested it on my personal account and was able to send two text messages with different caller IDs within seconds of each other by changing the settings in preferences. 
Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

How'd you force sending a text from the Main Company Number to work?

You can't set up the SMS caller ID from your mobile device, but through the RingCentral desktop app, I just flipped through the numbers under Texts for Outbound Caller ID and sent test texts out to a mobile number. They went through just fine. 

Photo of Howard

Howard

Jessica - this is exactly what I was looking for.  Thank you!
Photo of Howard

Howard

Jessica - this is exactly what I was looking for.  Thank you.  However, for some reason,  I am unable to change outgoing texts to another number.  It'll work for the fax drop down just below it, but not for the texts.

You need to have more than one phone number assigned to the extension in order to select an alternate caller ID. Can you confirm that you have more than one number assigned to your extension?
Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

Did you try selecting your Main Company number and sending a text from the RingCentral desktop app? Selecting your Main Company number does not work.
Photo of Saadet - Community Moderator

Saadet - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 67,620 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi all, I wanted to provide an update. We are experiencing a slight snag with the ability for the Company Fax/SMS Recipient to change their outbound SMS ID to the main number and for this change to be obeyed. Our Product Team is aware that this is not working properly and looking into it. You can open a case and include JIRA GLIP-25850 in your notes. You'll receive an update when the issue has been fixed.
Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

Shameful that your method of responding to RingCentral customers is to (in specific order):

1. Ignore them
2. Tell them that they're wrong and that there is no problem
3. Unabashedly inform them of them of the very problem that they were tirelessly trying to bring your awareness to

Photo of Becky - Community Support

Becky - Community Support, Official Rep

• 1,146 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi, Account.
Our Community team does the best they can to support our customers in this forum.
They are juggling numerous posts and customer issues, but do their best to update and inform members as information becomes available.

I would ask you to respect the work they do and approach this space being conscious that these are human beings who are perpetually engaged in the work of being as transparent and supportive as they are able.

Trolling and negativity do not aid in rectifying issues and only create an unpleasant experience for other customers that are using the Community as a resource. 

If you would like to discuss your issues directly, please reach out to us at Community.Support@RingCentral.com and we'll work with you to address your concerns. 

Be aware that Terms of Use supports the removal of posts that are not conducive to civil conversations. 

I'd ask that you consider this, as you continue your membership in this forum. 
Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

Wow! I've put forth a lot of effort to help the RC community, specifically regarding this feature. I created this mock-up 10 months ago that was used as a GUI reference for the Outbound ID feature: https://community.ringcentral.com/ringcentral/topics/feature-request-glip-ringcentral-app-align-outb...

I also helped to create the SMS messages case with tech support and create tracking number GLIP-25850 10 days ago.

Your response to my help, calling me a troll and suggesting my posts to be removed, is really aggressive, wow. I was not expecting that at all from an RC employee.

Photo of Becky - Community Support

Becky - Community Support, Official Rep

• 1,146 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Account, we appreciate your participation. 
We don't appreciate it when you criticize other members of the forum and talk down to the moderators.

This post was just a reminder that the people on this forum are human beings that are working to find fixes and support one another.

All are welcome, but our Terms of Use are non-negotiable.
Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

There are mostly business owners in this community who live and die by their ability to communicate with their clients. Ignoring RC user's posts, comments and concerns because you don't like the way it makes you feel only creates more frustration in the community and frustration with RingCentral.