Call Monitoring feature.

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Implemented
  • (Edited)
Need to support having a supervisor monitor calls (for quality assurance, etc.) as well as support "Call Barge" where a supervisor can jump on a call and/or even take over the call. This is basic functionality for a call center and really should be included by default with call recording, etc.
Photo of jtr02a

jtr02a

• 442 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of OWL Admin

OWL Admin

• 184 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How can I listen to calls that my staff are making?.

We have a staff of salespeople, and for training purposes we would like to be able to listen to the call while it is happening. How do we do that? Thanks!
(Edited)
Photo of OWL Admin

OWL Admin

• 184 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How can I listen to calls that my staff are making?.

We have a staff of salespeople, and for training purposes we would like to be able to listen to the call while it is happening. How do we do that? Thanks!
(Edited)
Photo of stacy

stacy

• 104 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Feature Request--Ability to monitor live calls..

I would like to be able to monitor live calls of our employees.
(Edited)
Photo of Jason Heidkamp

Jason Heidkamp

• 550 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled RingCentral for Windows Feature - Call Barge.

Need the ability to listen into Sales Reps phone conversations with the ability to coach them.  So they can hear you if you choose,  yet the 3rd party cannot hear you.  Essential for Sales Departments.
(Edited)
Photo of Justin Hoggatt

Justin Hoggatt

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Sales Manager Call Monitoring.

I have a sales manager in another location from our main office and I'm wondering if there is a way for him to monitor other sales reps calls by muting himself into the call. I don't see a way but want to know if anyone else is doing this some how. Thanks.
(Edited)
Photo of Rob Benn-Frenette

Rob Benn-Frenette, Champion

• 5,010 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi guys, I *think* this is planned to come out at somepoint soon within the next few months I would say
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 94,088 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Correct Rob!!!  I don't have an exact date yet, but should't be too much longer as they've been working on this feature for a while. I've merged several related threads into this one and will update this post when the date is confirmed. 
Photo of Jason Heidkamp

Jason Heidkamp

• 550 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Awesome.  Most other VoIP carriers already have this as does most ILEC providers depending on your PBX system.  This is a vital feature for sales offices for training purposes.  
Photo of Andrew Babic

Andrew Babic

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled When will we be able to listen to live calls and barge into the call?.

Listening to live calls and barge into the call to help out...
(Edited)

Mike, can you drop me an email? Rob(dot)frenette(at)bullyingcanada(dot)ca
Photo of Owen Pragel

Owen Pragel

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
So this can now be done, but only with specific hardware? No way to do it from the Softphone app? Not useful for our organizations until that happens.

This has now launched, it's a great feature
Photo of Owen Pragel

Owen Pragel

Just kidding. The documentation is just bad. Dial *80 in the softphone app and it will allow you to input an extension to monitor.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Here are a few pages that have more detailed instructions. If you find the instructions confusing, or unclear, you can comment here, or at the bottom of the article you'll see a field to leave comments. 

Call Monitoring Overview

Setting Up Call Monitoring

IMPORTANT: The phone that needs to monitor calls needs to be setup for Presence.
(Edited)
Photo of Owen Pragel

Owen Pragel

I do think the instructions on those pages is unclear. I've left my comments on the Call Monitoring Overview article. A copy of them is below for posterity. 

Comments left on RingCentral knowledgebase article Call Monitoring Overview:

This article was unhelpful because it does not describe how to start call monitoring from the RingCentral for Desktop app, and makes it seem as if the desktop app may not even support monitoring features - even though it does. The sentence "The following deskphones support presence and can be used for Call Monitoring" could make it seem as though call monitoring features may not function if you do not have one of the supported handsets.

Should have simple table describing how to activate call monitoring functions from any phone. Hopefully some better copy than what I drafted about the features below exists somewhere:

Dial *80 for call monitoring. When prompted, enter the extension you wish to monitor and press pound. Call monitoring allows you to listen to all parties in an in-progress call without transmitting any audio yourself.

Dial *81 for call coaching. When prompted, enter the extension you wish to coach and press pound. Call coaching allows you to speak directly to the extension you are coaching while they are in a call, without transmitting audio to the other party.

Dial *82 for call barge. When prompted, enter the extension you wish to barge and press pound. Call barging allows you to join another extension's in-progress call and communicate with all parties as if you were added via intercom.

Dial *83 for call takeover. When prompted, enter the extension you wish to takeover and press pound. Call takeover allows you to disconnect an extension while they are in a call and take their place as an active call party member.

Note: On-demand call recording will NOT work from the RingCentral for Desktop app when monitoring another call. If you need to record calls that are regularly monitored, consider automatic call recording. It is your responsibility to consider local legal responsibilities when recording phone calls.

Want to say that the features actually work quite well, but the documentation is poor and the RingCentral sales & support teams are unable to communicate accurate information about them because they haven't been provided proper documentation or training on the newest release.

This article is more helpful but doesn't properly describe how to use the features for many users: https://support.ringcentral.com/s/article/8050?language=en_US
(Edited)
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Owen,  Thanks for taking the time to send us this feedback.  We definitely want to know if the "help topics" are unclear.  
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,864 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Thank you Owen for the clarification on this article.  The team is working on updating it.  

Kim 
Photo of Regina

Regina

• 2,750 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Mike, help!  I am trying to set up Call Monitoring, but in the "add a group instructions" I do not see the Call Monitoring option listed:

Using just *80 gives me a message that This feature is not available in my current service plan.

Any ideas?
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Official Response
This feature has now been implemented.  The following links will direct you to more details instructions for setting up and using the feature.  This feature is currently available  on Office Premium and Ultimate plans, not the Office Standard plan. 

Knowledge Article: Setting Up Call Monitoring

http://netstorage.ringcentral.com/datasheets/call_monitoring_datasheet.pdf
(Edited)
Photo of Brooke Harper

Brooke Harper

• 260 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Thanks, Mike!