Call Handling : Group Pickup Feature

• Idea
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
We're a relatively small company doing software development for a number of customers. We work in an open plan office doing. Each staff member has their own DDI number, there's also a general office number handled by our office admin. All the staff have a cordless deskphone (Yealink W56P) and the RC app + wireless headset.

If a customer dials one of developers and they're not available their phone rings and will eventually go to voicemail. We're not keen on that, we'd much rather they got a human response - so we like to pickup those calls and see if we can help out straight away.

With our old analog system we could just key R*8 on any handset to pickup any currently ringing phone. We didn't need to know which phone was ringing.

Right now we can't do this with RC. We have to use presence and set presence for each user so that all other users can see it. Then everyone needs to add everyone else onto their HUD. Then when they hear a phone ring, they have to find it on the hud - hurry to get their headset on - and then click to pickup the call. They can't pickup with their deskphone. They can't pickup if they are away from their PC.

I'd like to see a feature "Group Pickup". Where I can define a group (for us it would be everyone), and that group would have an ID or maybe an extension number (e.g. 100) . Then when anyone in that group received a call I could pick it up from the hud, or better still from the desk phone. Maybe by keying *100 or something like that.

Then we would need this complicated presence setup and people can quickly pickup any ringing phone without having to know specifically who's phone was actually ringing.
Photo of Matthew Underwood

Matthew Underwood

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Rob Byers

Rob Byers

• 252 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I agree that a Group Pickup option would be great to have. This is one feature our users certainly miss from our previous VoIP system.
Photo of Rhys Davies

Rhys Davies

• 70 Points
Yes this is absolutely the feature we need too - why is it not in the system?  So simple to do.  Please push through ASAP RingCentral
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

• 14,778 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Best patch I can think of is if under each extension you make a "ring group" under call handling, this way after the intended extension rings say 4 times it can then ring the backup group and they can then get the call. This my cause an uptick in "missed calls" whenever that backup group rings and the phones who do ring do not answer the call.
Photo of Rhys Davies

Rhys Davies

• 70 Points
Yeah that's what we've done.  If the group misses it then it just goes back to the users voicemail.  I can't believe it hasn't been added.  Lots of people have asked for it and it's so useful.  They aren't giving a logical answer for not including it either which is frustrating. 
Photo of Matthew Underwood

Matthew Underwood

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We were really trying to avoid multiple phones ringing at the same time as we work in an open plan office. Also, with the "ring group" approach, the caller needs to hang on for the first 4 rings at a minimum before anyone can even begin to pick the call up. (I appreciate that this might be okay for some people though).

For the time being we've switched a few phones out from Yealink DECT units to desk based Polycom phones with 14 lines of presence being monitored. It's not ideal, but its the best option today given the limitations. As an aside, its annoying that you can't have two physical phones signed in as the same user / number so basically we've had to junk those Yealink handsets.