Call Handling: label for incoming phone numbers

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
 Append text or assign a text label for incoming phone numbers

We have several people that manage more than one incoming phone number. It would be nice to be able to add or append a text label or something similar so that the person answering the phone would know a certain number was called and then answer accordingly. They can memorize the number or look on a sheet every time a call comes in so it would be nice to see it right on the screen. For example, we have two phone numbers. 888-555-1213 Company A and 866-555-1743 for Company B. Right now it shows the caller id number being called. So if someone calls 888-555-1213 it would display Company A or Comp A or COMPA or CMPA8885551213 or something like that so we know and answer thank you for calling Company A how may I help you.
Photo of Keith Hanley

Keith Hanley

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 36,908 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Keith,

That functionality is available now. In the Admin Portal for the extensions involved, go to Call Handling & Forwarding, then Incoming Call Information. You can configure the first option,  Incoming Number Displayed to Me: to be "Called Number".

To further assist you, or in place of, you can have the extensions for each company read out the extension name by selecting, Include mailbox name in announcement at the bottom of the screen. Note that the "announcement" referred to is an announcement that the call taker will hear...NOT the person calling you.  (See the screen shot below)

(Edited)
Photo of Keith Hanley

Keith Hanley

No, it is not available now according to what I see and what you sent me unless I am missing it which is entirely possible.

In other words, the number is being displayed according to your instructions for showing the called number but like I said, they manage several numbers and it is hard to remember all of them sometimes so it would be nice for it to display something like the extension name by itself or along the number called. This is for the benefit of the person receiving the call on the desktop app not  to be announced to the incoming caller as you indicated on the screen shot you attached.

Similar but not exactly to what you can do here. But if you pick called number this option disappears.

For example, I am part of several extensions. In the call handling section of these extensions we have groups setup to roll through sequentially in case the first group is not available. There are multiple people that are setup in the call handling for each group. So I am part of Receptionist and Infinix and my own direct line. At this time, when I get an incoming call, it shows the called number. I see the incoming number and then look at the phone sheet attached to my wall so I can answer the call Thank you for calling Infinex or Thank you for calling UFC and by the time I figure out which number it is then the call has gone to the next group or to voicemail. It is Friday and I am slow looking it up. Ha

Does that make more sense?

Using a call queue is not an option at this time because of the way calls are handled once they enter the queue. There is no escape if there is no one available. That is why we setup the rolling groups in the extensions. Call queues are too restrictive at the present time. I was told that work was being done to the way the queues work but I do not know when it will be rolled out or exactly what is being enhanced.

And the mobile app is too restrictive as it only rings for calls to my direct extension and not call queues or any of these other extensions established.

Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

Keith,

You only mentioned two companies and two phone numbers. I would have no idea that there are multiple numbers for them to memorize.

Did you try the second part of my message to you?
"To further assist you, or in place of, you can have the extensions for each company read out the extension name by selecting, Include mailbox name in announcement at the bottom of the screen. Note that the "announcement" referred to is an announcement that the call taker will hear...NOT the person calling you."

You wrote:
> "This is for the benefit of the person receiving the call on the desktop app not  to be announced to the incoming caller as you indicated on the screen shot you attached."

You did not read that part of the message properly. I did not say it was for the caller! I said it was for the call taker (i.e., the person answering the call) and NOT the person calling! The screen shot does NOT indicate that the caller will hear that announcement. I can see where you would be confused with the word "announcement" but announcement means an announcement to the person answering the call.

When you pick up the extension it would tell you, "Company A has a phone call. Press 1 to answer, 2 to .....etc.)

I hope that clarifies it. Try it out yourself as a test.
(Edited)
Photo of Keith Hanley

Keith Hanley

I only included two for the example. We have about 20 incoming phone numbers. 

Yes I did misread/misunderstand the announcement part. The announcement will announce the number called but not the name (which is what I am trying to suggest) and then the person would need to memorize it and scan down the list to see what  company it is and then answer appropriately. There are various numbers not in any sequence to make it easier to remember. 
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

Official Response
> "The announcement will announce the number called but not the name (which is what I am trying to suggest) "

No, that is not correct. It will announce whatever the mailbox NAME (a.k.a. User Name) is. NOT the mailbox number or the business phone number. If you name the mailbox XYZ Corporation, it will announce "XYZ Corporation". I know this because I use it every day and have for a number of years.

Here is the location it will get the mailbox name from:

Have you tried it yourself? If you had you will see how it works. You can always change it back moments later if it isn't to your liking. Just change one of your least used numbers, then call that number.

Repeating from my last message, here is EXACTLY what the person accepting the call will hear, based on the above screen shots:
"Hello Software Support. You have a caller. To accept the call press 1. For more options press star [*]."
(Edited)