Call Handling: Unable to pick up a call on hold?

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)

I am using Polycom VVX 410 phones. I want to be able to place a call on hold and pick up that call on any handset.

I've tried going into Users -> (Phone I want to edit) -> Phones & Numbers -> Presence -> Select Users To Answer My Calls - and have selected all of the phones.  I still am not able to answer a call on hold from any other phone then the one it was placed on hold on.  In fact the line does not even show that it's in use on any other phone. I've also tried selecting "enable me to pick up a monitored call on hold" and it does nothing as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Photo of Barry

Barry

• 264 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Dieter Rencken

Dieter Rencken, Employee

• 262 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This feature is possible with the Shared Lines feature. However bear in mind that this was not designed for handing off calls between different user's phones but more for a retail/small business environment where all phones ring as a group and calls can be answered on any one of them and handed off to another phone via hold/unhold.
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,790 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Barry, how are the calls coming in that you are looking to answer, put on hold and then pickup?

Are they coming directly to an extension or through a queue or a simultaneous ring scenario?

I know that if calls are coming in through a queue you need to give rights to pick those calls as they are treated separate then others

Little more information will allow us to figure out the issue.

Thanks

Chuck
Certified Ring Central Installer
ckfuscone@yahoo.com
Photo of KRISTEN

KRISTEN

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
WHAT IS THE SOLUTION?
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

In general, rights is the solution.  Make sure you are granting permissions to be able to see the call and then pick it up.

What are you trying to accomplish Kristin?

What phone are you using?

Chuck
Photo of KRISTEN

KRISTEN

I have 4 Polycom phones. I would like to put a call on hold and then go to another phone and pick up the call there without doing a transfer or flip or anything else.
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

Here are the phones that support that feature

• Cisco 508G 509G 504G 303G
  • Cisco SPA 525G2
  • Polycom IP650 and IP550
  • Polycom VVX Series, 310 410 and 500
What exact phone do you have?

Chuck
Photo of KRISTEN

KRISTEN

polycom VVX 310
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

Well, that is good, so for each extension go to Phones and then presence and add to each available button the other users you want to have presence show up on the phone.  there is also a permissions tab there to give rights to others to be able to pick up a phone call etc...

you could enable Intercom also.  It is an options under phones.

Do this for each phone.

Make sense?

Chuck
Photo of KRISTEN

KRISTEN

ALL DONE W/ PERMISSIONS TOO. PRESENCE ONLY SHOWS IF YOU TRANSFER THE CALL ON HOLD TO ANOTHER EXTENSION. IF YOU JUST PUT IT ON HOLD, IT DOES NOT SHOW ON OTHER PHONES
Photo of KRISTEN

KRISTEN

DO I HAVE TO RESTART THE PHONES? THEY HAVE BEEN SET THIS WAY FOR QUITE AWHILE. I DO BELIEVE THIS DID WORK AT ONE TIME WITH THESE SETTINGS.
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

What is your call flow like?

When a call comes in what is the first thing that happens to it?

does it go to a call queue?

or another extension.

The devil is in the details,  Explain fully what happens exactly when someone calls the main number and I am sure we will figure it out

Chuck
Photo of KRISTEN

KRISTEN

WHEN A CALL COMES IN ON THE MAIN NUMBER, ALL 4 EXTENSIONS RING. CALL CAN BE PICKED UP BY ANY OF THE EXTENSIONS
Photo of Barry

Barry

• 264 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

I had this feature working for a while but it for some reason doesn't work any more.

I have in the "presence" menu all of my phones visible to each other. 

Here's my setup:

Call comes in it's set to ring all phones simultaneously.  Any phone can pick up the call.  When you put someone on hold, however, you cannot pick up the call on another phone and the call must be transferred instead.

Photo of Ashlynn Kaplan

Ashlynn Kaplan, Champion

• 1,150 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Barry, I just tested this with our phones. We have a Cisco 508G and a 525. Called in to the 508, placed on hold, it appeared on the 525, and we were able to pick up that line on hold from the 525. We have all presence enabled: monitor line on hold, enable to pick it up, and permissions. 
Photo of Niki

Niki

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Hi Chuck - Are you able to tell me the details as they pertain to calls that come in through a Call Queue? 

When a call comes in through our Call Queue, if we put the caller on hold, no one else is able to pick up the call.  We have presence set for all of our extensions, we have checked the box for each extension to allow a call on hold to be picked up and we have set the permissions so that all users are supposed to be able to answer all of the other lines.  We have the Polycom VX410 phones.  I assume our problem is related to the fact that the calls are coming in through the Call Queue, but I am not sure what settings to change.  Thanks for any help you can provide!

Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

Hi Niki, sorry for the delay.  I Missed this one.  I have this type of setup working in a Doctor office setting.  Calls come to a queue and then of the total 5 phones 2 are in the queue (Front Desk) and then others are rooms or doc offices.  This works where they could put someone on hold so there must be something with the call routing.

I would have to see your setup.

Assuming that calls come in and users are members of the queue it should work.

So what happens when you put a call on hold?  None of the other phones even register that the call is there?

Check the call log to see if anything pops out.

I may be able to work with you

chuck
Certified Ring Central Installer
ckfuscone@yahoo.com
Photo of Leo Coyle

Leo Coyle

• 0 Points
I have same exact issue as Niki. Any solution here would be most helpful. This seems very basic.

Please help us.
Photo of OC

OC

• 60 Points
Seems that I have this same issue daily. Another issue when on hold is that when i try to resume the call it will pick up the line but the party on the other end can hear me but I can't hear them. Only after I put the call on hold again and resume the call can I talk to the customer. I have spent approx 60 min two separate times talking to tech about this issue and they say it is in our settings. I have set everything on the phones as instructed and still continues. Not only on my phone but on all our phones. 

THIS IS VERY DISAPPOINTING. SINCE WE HAVE INSTALLED THE NEW RING CENTRAL SYSTEM WE HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT DIFFICULTIES. 
Photo of CARR

CARR

• 60 Points
Having a similar issue here with not being able to pick up a call that is placed on hold by one phone in particular. This phone is the line designated at the line for Company Call Handling. When this extension picks up the call and puts the call on hold, none of the other phones can pick up the call on hold unless the call is transferred. The other phones don't even light up to show that extension has a call on hold. We would like to be able to pick up calls put on hold by that phone extension without transferring the call. We have Polycom VVX310 phones. Thank you.
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,984 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
This is usually an issue with the local network configurations.  Please see HERE to verify that RingCentral Port Ranges are open on the router to help solve this issue. Your local IT Dept should be able to set this up.

If the issue continues after port ranges are verified, please let us know here or open a web case. If you open a web case, please attach screenshots of router port ranges for verification.
(Edited)
Photo of Lance K

Lance K

• 282 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I am trying to figure out how to use a Park Location Group. Set up a Park Location Group extention. Have presence set on all extensions tied to the new extension. All phones are Polycom 310. I think I need to have the Group Park Location extension displayed on the Polycom 310 on a soft key, but I cannot figure out how to change a softkey on a Polycom 310.                    
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

• 16,838 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
got to make sure theres a button available to put the park on. each phone has 2 buttons reserved for that specific phone so if theres only 2 buttons it may not work as easy as putting it on the park and picking up from anywhere with the touch of a button. changing the button is pretty easy, go to a user you wish to have access, and then under (phone and numbers) click presence and change the key available key to the park. Always make sure that user is given permission to have have use of the park location (thats set under the park location "extension")
Photo of Lance K

Lance K

• 282 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
First, thank you for your response. 

I am having a hard time figuring out how to change the button on the phone to the Park extension. I going into the extension under phone & number, clicking presence, but how do I change key available key? Here is a screenshot. Am I in the correct area?     

Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

• 68,382 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Lance,

Here's an article that goes over Park Location. Let me know if it helps!
Photo of Christina Feile

Christina Feile

• 346 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

I too am having this problem and am extraordinarily frustrated..... I am having loads of problems and am very close to giving up on RingCentral
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

• 68,382 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Christina, it's best to contact Support so we can help you with any issues you are currently having. It's much easier/more efficient to troubleshoot live with you.