Call Logs: Call Queue not to show 'missed call' when a call is answered by another user in Queue

• Idea
  • Updated 3 days ago
  • Not Planned
  • (Edited)
We are a small business where anyone of our four employees can answer any incoming call.   We have a Call Queue set up so that all the phones ring simultaneously, and this works well.  The issue is that when a call comes in to our main number, it is forwarded to the Queue, and it is answered by one phone, the other three phones show missed calls.  

The call was not missed in fact, it was answered by a different phone.  This should not appear as a missed call on the phones that did not answer the call.   This creates a problem for us because now every call we get is a 'Missed Call' on all the phones that did not answer it.  This makes the Missed Call feature useless..
Photo of Ryan Oley

Ryan Oley

• 1,580 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
  • sad

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

• 16,738 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
When I set my office up I have it set sort of old school my main number rings an extension that is just acting as a ring group with all the phones in my office in it. I have the same issue, when a call comes in for the main number and my co workers answer it and i dont, i have a new "missed call" on my phone. It does seem odd that it cant just not show at all if i dont answer. hopefully this can be further addressed by techs who watch these boards. this isnt a huge problem for me, but for some i can see it is, and a solid answer or fix would be much appreciated. 
Photo of Nate Price

Nate Price

• 154 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Reply from RingCentral

I left you a message regarding your open case about call queue missed calls.  I'd like to inform you that our product engineers are aware of this feature request, and currently no time frame when this could be possibly implemented.  It is a core principal of our system that a call that is not picked up is marked as "missed". To change this would require making changes to the base code in the system, this would take time as this would affect 100 thousand plus of our customers who owns businesses.  As of yet this hasn't been possible, but is still being considered by our development team for possible future updates.  If you would like me to contact you at a different time, feel free to email me. 

Regards,

Marco Sidro

Supervisor

Global Customer Care

RingCentral, Inc. 

Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 94,088 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Photo of Shelly Roth

Shelly Roth, Champion

• 1,962 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
once you click on the link the additional link on the site is no longer active.Is there another link for a survey?
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

• 67,970 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Shelly, the links that Mike and Elliot posted are both over a year old and are no longer active
Photo of Shelly Roth

Shelly Roth, Champion

thank you for your response, Saadet.  I did realize they were old, just wondering if there were more up-to-date survey links?
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

• 67,970 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Shelly, not at the moment. These surveys have been closed for quite some time. If we open up any new ones, we'll be sure to post them :)
Photo of Shelly Roth

Shelly Roth, Champion

thank you.
Photo of Godfrey Mubiru

Godfrey Mubiru

• 168 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

"Nate Price

• 154 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Reply from RingCentral

I left you a message regarding your open case about call queue missed calls.  I'd like to inform you that our product engineers are aware of this feature request, and currently no time frame when this could be possibly implemented.  It is a core principal of our system that a call that is not picked up is marked as "missed". To change this would require making changes to the base code in the system, this would take time as this would affect 100 thousand plus of our customers who owns businesses.  As of yet this hasn't been possible, but is still being considered by our development team for possible future updates.  If you would like me to contact you at a different time, feel free to email me. 

Regards,

Marco Sidro

Supervisor

Global Customer Care

RingCentral, Inc."

Hi RingCentral,

Based on the response Nate (See above post) received from RC Global Customer Care, I can only conclude that the RC Product Team has failed to reconcile reality with "a core principal of" your RC phone system.
This time it's about a basic understanding of Missed or Answered Call and I cannot believe this is now a three year mystery for your Product Engineers. 
All changes RC or customer fronted "require making changes to the base code in the system" and this is exactly why you have these Product Engineers.
"100 thousand" or more customers around the world have relied on phones systems for over two centuries and we really shouldn't redefine missed or answered calls, etc... in 2019. Just solve the simple problems and move forward. 

PS. This is not directed towards Mike or Saadet, just my opinion after a lot of frustration with RC.
Photo of Elliot Beaudoin

Elliot Beaudoin, Alum

• 944 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Please see the survey above ^^^. Also, there is a smaller survey on specifically Call Logs as well that I'd love to see our customers who are passionate about Call Logs complete: https://goo.gl/forms/WxSCbyyt7qGo9j1H2
Photo of Shelly Roth

Shelly Roth, Champion

• 1,528 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
not working any longer. :(
Photo of FENTON

FENTON

• 62 Points
We have a small remote office with a handful of phones.  The call queue goes to a ring group, which rings all of the phones in the office.  If someone is on a phone call at one of those phones when the new call comes in, they do not see a missed call on their phone nor do they see it in their call logs.  They have to physically go to another phone to find out who the caller was.  This can be pretty frustrating during busy times.
Photo of Patrick Horan

Patrick Horan

• 688 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
We are a small US based company with 17 users that utilizes Call Queue groups with simultaneous ring for each group.  And we have the same issue reported by others where a call answered by one group member results in all other queue members showing a missed call.  All of our users are using the RC Desktop application on Windows 7/10.  It is frustrating to them as they constantly feel they missed a call.

And I can only imagine how frustrating it would be for a company who actually grades their team members by answered/missed/voicemail calls. 

Is there an update on when this might be resolved?
Photo of William Robinson

William Robinson

• 70 Points
HI, we are having this issue which is compounded when we link the system to zoho crm.  as it logs a missed call, when the incoming call was actually picked up by another user.  Please can you add a feature into the notifications that group calls are not notified if you untick,  all our groups calls have voicemail, thus if someone does call us and doesn't get picked up we still know as we can see the voicemail.  As the groups calls are coming from a main workplace number rather than to the direcct extension its would be unlikely that someone would not leave a message if promoted
Photo of Philipp Knobel

Philipp Knobel

• 220 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We just switched to RingCentral and also us the simultanous Ringgroups and it shows missed call to everyone who didn't answer the call even if someone else answered the call? This makes it impossible to find the real missed calls. Anyway we can set a setting so if the call in the queue is answered by someone else it doesn't show up as missed?
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

• 16,276 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I have not dealt with queues too much but i know if a call comes to an extension with a "ring group" in it the call will show as missed on every phone other than the one that answered. Looking through the reports tab may be the best shot at seeing which calls went "unanswered" fully rather than just missed by several phones in a ring group.
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,626 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Try using the call queue instead of Ring groups.  You may have better results.  that is what they are designed for.

Thanks

Chuck
Certified RC Consultant.
Chuck@yoritguy.com
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

• 16,276 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
thanks for clearing it up Chuck !!
Photo of Philipp Knobel

Philipp Knobel

• 220 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Chuck: We are using Call Queue with Simultaneous.

(I did not found the Ringgroup option in RingCentral yet, this is not a pure Asterix system....)
Photo of Travis Nichols

Travis Nichols

• 174 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
It's been over two years on this one. Missed calls stats in historical reports are still inaccurate for queues using simultaneous ring. This needs to be corrected. Adding "abandoned" calls to historical reports also needs to be added! Please!
Photo of Anif Momin

Anif Momin

• 124 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Need solution to stop showing missed calls on simultaneous group ring if call is ....

We have a group specifically for support that has 6 agents.  We have set to get calls in simultaneous ring, which means that if 3 of the 6 agents are off the phone, those 3 phones will ring.  The problem we are having is that if 1 of the 3 agents answers that phone then on their app, hard phone or desktop app it will show as missed call for the other two agents.  This causes for the other 2 agents to call the customer back and that customer has been helped.  So our customers 5k+ are getting duplicate call and some of them are blocking our numbers.   We need a solution to show the call as picked up if another agent got it so my agents do not call the same customer.
Photo of Howell

Howell

• 156 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We have 16 different locations with their own RingGroups and one with the Queue setup. They all have the same problem. As RVP's and upper management travels around they always see Missed Calls on the Phones so they automatically think that location is not answering the phones. Can't wait for this to be fixed.
Photo of Eli Schweyer

Eli Schweyer

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
We have this same problem. As a Customer Support Team, we have a policy from management that we are to call back any calls that are missed. This task has become overwhelming since switching to Ring Central because we have to check call log in order to tell if a call was actually missed (vs our current up-to-date Phone App) - We have about 10 reps. The first available should be able to see the missed calls that did not get answered (truly missed) -

Right now what we have to do is have everyone log into the call log and query the missed call phone numbers - then see if the missed call had a recent call back already from another rep. If not - they call them. There is no way to even "mark" that a missed call was claimed and returned. The easiest solution I can see is to either have a way for all reps to see all missed calls within their phone app and mark missed as returned - or - they can just manager their own missed calls knowing they are truly missed and not actually answered by the next round robin rep that did pick up.
Photo of gary.bradshaw

gary.bradshaw

• 492 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This has been an issue for years.  We solved it by moving support to another phone system. :)  We still use RingCentral for certain things.
Photo of Anif Momin

Anif Momin

• 124 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
what other phone system? :-)
This is becoming more and more of a struggle espcially when we have incentive based bonus for the support team and reducing missed calls is part of it.
Photo of Jen Miescke

Jen Miescke

• 94 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I would like to know what system you moved to and what parts of Ring Central you kept?
Photo of Lisa

Lisa, Champion

• 1,870 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I am also interested in knowing what other phone system solved your problem, Gary. 
Photo of Whitney Nottage

Whitney Nottage

• 202 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Also interested in what system you moved to... specifically as well - were you able to keep your number? This issue is so bad I'm ready to leave Ring Central as long as I can keep our number.
Photo of Stephen Westrip

Stephen Westrip

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Missed Call notifications from a Group call.

When you are a member of a Group that is set to ring Simultaneously, you always receive a Missed Call notification when another member of that Group answers the call. What we would like to see is that Missed Call notifications were only sent to all members of the group if no-one in the group answered the call. The problem at the moment is that, without scouting the call log, you do not know whether the Group call was actually missed or not.

The benefit of this feature would allow genuine missed calls to be dealt with in a timely fashion without having to check the call log each time.
Photo of Brett Crowther

Brett Crowther

• 338 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I've only just joined RingCentral and today is my first day with my staff using Call Queues with Simultaneous Rings. The very first problem I have is that everyone in the Call Queue shows a "Missed Call" except the person answering. To see that this has already been going on for years is incredibly demoralizing. 
Photo of Steven Rumble

Steven Rumble

• 60 Points
Would also like to add our name to the list of customers with this issue. The phones we currently use did not have this problem on our previous phone system, so it is an issue.

As for replies from Ringcentral that say this is a fundamental change that would affect 100 thousands of customers. Can I ask what the case is where people want to know that a queued call was picked up by a colleague, but they missed the call on their phone?? I can't think of any scenario where this would be useful. So why not just switch it to stop us all moaning and see how many people moan about the new way before using that as an excuse.
Photo of Tom Mekeel

Tom Mekeel

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
For a queue, it should only show missed when the Queue (entire group of users) missed the call, and for that matter only if it was never picked up by anyone, in the case that your queue rolls over to another group.
There is no use case for a missed call that wasnt missed that I can think of.  The queue should be considered as a unit, and if the unit missed the call that is different.  Queues are being treated as individual users it seems. 
For whomever likened it to a cell phone missed call, what group of users do you have clamoring to answer your cell phone?  Doesnt make sense.
Photo of Travis Nichols

Travis Nichols

Sorry, I think you misunderstood. The problem is that the users within the queue are showing missed calls when the queue is set on simultaneous ring. 
Photo of Tom Mekeel

Tom Mekeel

I understand.  All users ring at the same time.  Someone in that queue answers, all other users of that queue see missed call.  We have that too, and it's awful.
What I'm suggesting is that it only show missed to all users if nobody answers the call.  Otherwise it wasn't missed.
Photo of Travis Nichols

Travis Nichols

Ah yes. Agreed. 
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,736 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Not sure why so many people have all the phones ring everytime a call comes in.

the system is only doing what you are telling it to.

Maybe turn that feature off on the phone?

Cisco or Polycom.  Seems useless at this point.

Chuck
Certified RC Consultant
Photo of Tom Mekeel

Tom Mekeel

Chuck, it would make sense if the system could understand not to ring someone if they are on a call already, unless all users of that queue are on a call, and in that case move the call to another queue, or show everyone a missed call message when it goes to voicemail or becomes abandoned.  There are many ways to draw the tree, depending on what your organization is doing.  Scaled at 20 users per queue and over 100 users this missed call thing is annoying.
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,736 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
In my call queue setups, if someone is on a call the system does NOT try to ring that phone.  Are you using call queues correct or Ring groups?

Let me know

Chuck
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 37,222 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
@TomMekeel...I can kind of understand where RingCentral came up with that functionality thinking that the call was "missed" by the other members of the queue who didn't answer the call. However I definitely agree with what you are saying.

I think it would be far better to have the other members of the queue show the call as "Answered in Queue" so they know that it was answered and also keep your suggestion of only showing a "Missed Call" if NO ONE in the queue answers the call.

That would make it so much easier to understand for other queue members as well as supervisors, etc.
Photo of Tom Mekeel

Tom Mekeel

Indeed. That would be perfect.
Photo of Whitney Nottage

Whitney Nottage

• 222 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
It might make sense to show a missed call if you're simply doing call forwarding. But we're not. We're ringing directly into a desktop app, which means it never leaves the RC system. Which means it should be capable of knowing that a call was not missed as someone else in the call answered.
In my group, for example, it's used for customer support. If they choose customer support on product X, then the call queue calls every expert on product X simultaneously so whoever is available can take the call (6 people in this example).
Once the call is accepted by 1 we are all posting in the RC chat "did anyone take the call?" because we all see the call was missed and need to see who took it. If that person who took the call is still on the call and thus busy, they're not answering, and we're all messaging back and forth to try and figure out if the call was taken or if we need to return it. What a waste of productivity.

THEN, as the manager of the group, I have to report weekly the % of calls that were accepted, who's accepting the highest percentage of calls, etc. So I have to open EVERY call compare it to the answered/missed calls of each user in order to MANUALLY count how many were actually missed. 
Photo of Brendan Lim

Brendan Lim

• 60 Points
+1 on this
Photo of Bastress

Bastress

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Call queue issues.

Everyone in call queue gets a missed call even when the call was picked up and answered.

It looks like this problem has been going on at Ring Central for at least 3 years now.  Obviously this is a well documented issue that the developers should be addressing.  My company is bringing almost 400 numbers over to Ring Central.  We aren't going to put up with this for 3 more years.  This is poor customer service on behalf of RC and we aren't going to pass this problem onto our customers when we have dozens of our employees calling a queue caller back dozens of times because RC can't get their act together.  It's a pain to change phone companies, but non responsive / customer no service won't be tolerated by our CEO. If RC wants to continue to grow in market share their leadership needs to listen to their customers issues and fix them in a timely manner.
(Edited)
Photo of Whitney Nottage

Whitney Nottage

I'm only dealing with this problem on a team of 6 people. I couldn't imagine dealing with it for 400 users. I'd be gone in a heartbeat.
And apparently it's STILL an issue. This does not speak well for Ring Central. We have only had the system for about a month and it's got so many issues and glitches it's ridiculous. I was coming on to see if I could find a resolution for the faulty missed calls notification. Clearly I won't find that here. If you're reading this and considering going with Ring Central, DON'T. Keep shopping around.  
Photo of BLUVSTEIN

BLUVSTEIN

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Missed Calls.

When our organization receives a call, and an agent answers, it shows every other agent has missed the call. How do I turn that function off since the call was in fact handled or answered and not missed. 
Photo of Melissa Fischer

Melissa Fischer

• 76 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
We're having this same issue.  The person who was trying to help me on technical support told me to post a request here, but it seems like RC hasn't responded to all of these requests so far ... so for whatever it's worth

The difference on our side was that we originally did have our account set up in a way that the email notifications we received for missed queue calls, and it was appropriate - they were actual missed calls that needed to be followed up on.  Then something happened with the call queues.  Different ones were set up for messages, and then we started getting the "incorrect" missed call emails.  And it's been trouble ever since.

I understand having someone's phone display that there was a missed call, but the actual email notifications that go out ... there HAS to be a way to have that notification go out ONLY if the call queue call goes unanswered.  Maybe the resolution is that that becomes a different notification.  Not missed call, but unanswered call queue call?? I think that's all everyone here is asking for.  
Photo of Shaun Hollis

Shaun Hollis

• 172 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Call Logs: Call Queue not to show 'missed call' when a call is answered by anothe....

Repeating the question that was brought up 3  years ago.

We are a small business where anyone of our
four employees can answer any incoming call.   We have a Call Queue set up
so that all the phones ring simultaneously, and this works well. The
issue is that when a call comes in to our main number, it is forwarded to the
Queue, and it is answered by one phone, the other three phones show missed
calls.  

The call was not missed in fact, it was answered by a
different phone.  This should not appear as a missed call on the phones
that did not answer the call.   This creates a problem for us because now
every call we get is a 'Missed Call' on all the phones that did not answer it.
 This makes the Missed Call feature useless..

I don't need to see that the call was missed when it was truly answered.  Our agents are paid extra based on the number of calls answered/missed.
Photo of Matt McDonald

Matt McDonald

• 166 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Simultaneous Call Issue - Agent 1 gets 'Missed Call' Notification - Yet call was ....

https://prnt.sc/mhkyqp

First things first, Open the screenshot Above and you'll begin to grasp the concept i am after.

When a 'Seller' Calls my marketing number (Group number w/ Agents attached) it will ring the Agents Simultaneously - Perfect! The issue is when one agent answers the call first, it lists the call as a 'Missed Call' for the other agents. 

This becomes a problem with this example; Agent 1 Didn't get a chance to answer the simultaneous call for whatever reason and Agent 2 picks up and sets an appointment.  Agent 1 will see that he missed a call and instinctively will want to return it, when in fact Agent 2 already spoke with him and did the run-around. That will be pretty awkward - but:

At first it will tag the call with an 'Inbound' tag in the phone feed on both Agent 1 & Agent 2s RingCentral App -http://prntscr.com/mhlk5q- That's great and what i'm after! A short time later, it switches to a missed call Tag for Agent 1..   Yet the call WAS answered - i managed to snag a screenshot of how it looked before the call 'updated'
Photo of Jessica - Community Moderator

Jessica - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 5,872 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Matt, 

We're following up with a Product Manager to see if any additional information is available on this situation! 
Photo of Matt McDonald

Matt McDonald

• 166 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
That's so comforting - considering I've read that generic response on 3 separate threads that date back nearly 6 months. It's clear costumers are having a real issue here caused by your product. It MUST be tweaked to accommodate considering a practical 0 downside. Their is simply no excuse for the absence of insight on this issue.

I appreciate it.

EDIT: This issue was brought up 3 years ago? Check to see if the PM is still alive it's been so long
(Edited)
Photo of Whitney Nottage

Whitney Nottage

Jessica - official reps have been saying "we'll follow up" for three years and then never following up. Please do something. 
If you cannot follow up on this specific topic, can you provide me a recommendation of a new phone system to go to since i'll be taking my business elsewhere?
Photo of HEINRICHS

HEINRICHS

• 238 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Every time I see release notes, I'm hoping for this fix to be in there.  Really hope you guys are actually looking at this.  I've never seen any other phone system handle call queues this way.  It is extremely confusing to the end user and I can't really justify it - the call wasn't missed.
Photo of Cathy Bernoski

Cathy Bernoski

• 98 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This is the reason we are looking at other phone providers. This has been a known issue for 3 years per this thread. It makes all of the analytics unusable because the call is counted twice and a missed call is added incorrectly. 
I would sincerely rather have this fixed than move to another provider. We have been happy with everything else. 
Photo of Cathy Bernoski

Cathy Bernoski

• 98 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I am incorrect. The analytics seem to handle this correctly.