Caller hears echo when talking

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: kb exists

Problem: When using the RingCentral Android Mobile App on the Verison Network - all callers hear an echo of themselves when they talk.
Photo of Richard Callaway

Richard Callaway

• 2,452 Points 2k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,698 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Richard, 

Network issues could certainly cause echo on some calls, but also, it could be something as simple as someone no being muted while on the call.  The first thing to check when you hear echo is to ask an attendees who aren't talking to mute their phones. If it's all users hearing themselves, then I suspect it's the latter and muting other users will likely solve the problem.  If the problem persists you are welcome to open a support case and include as many details as possible, ie. which users are hearing echo, what the joinded the converence, their numbers, their carriers, etc.  

Mike 
Photo of Richard Callaway

Richard Callaway

• 2,452 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Thank's Mike, although it's not an issue with the User, it's the caller who hears everything they say echoed back to them, not what anyone else in the room is saying".

Also, this issue is not in a call center, it's one user in a room using the "RingCentral Android Mobile App" to call out or receive calls.

Our solution is to not use the speakerphone function, only headsets.

When a headset is used the echo stops, although the sound from the cell phone mic is so poor we have to use a headset even though the user is in an office all by themselves.
Photo of USA

USA

• 296 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I have this issue from time to time as well but only when on speaker phone. Not sure why there is no echo while on speaker phone at times vs. other times.
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 36,178 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Richard and USA,

This can also be a result of either you or someone else on the call having "noise reduction" set on their phone. This has been known to be a problem before with cellular phone calls. Phone vendors and/or service providers often provide this functionality to try to reduce or eliminate ambient noise while a person is on a call. That setting can however cause other issues.
Photo of Bharken

Bharken

• 262 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Is there a list of best practices to help users avoid echos? We've had the same issue Richard mentioned.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,658 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The best thing you can do, is make sure the network is properly set up.  See
Network requirements, and troubleshooting call quality (QOS) issues.
Photo of Bharken

Bharken

Thank you for the quick reply! I'll check out.
Photo of Hector Camero Jr.

Hector Camero Jr.

• 70 Points
How about if they're using the DATA service? So the echoing is happening on both connected via wifi and using the data service...
(Edited)
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,698 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
There are a ton of variables here. Even in on Data service, an echo could be present depending on the quality.  However, if all network settings are correct per the document above,  and anyone  is still hearing echo, it's time to start looking at other settings as Jan suggested.  It might be best to call in  or open a support case and include all the other related details.  Users info, deskphone, softphone, mobile app, hand set, headset, Wifi, ethernet, cell/data network,  ping plotter reports, etc. 

Mike 
Photo of DJ Service

DJ Service

• 144 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I too have experienced this issue when callers are on speaker phone when the call is connected to my cell phone using the RC app. Other apps such as Vonage and FreedomPop do not experience echo when calls are on speaker, just the RC app.
Photo of Gary Leon

Gary Leon

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I am having this problem as well and the workaround is to switch it to carrier - however, it is rather annoying to have to do that every call!
Photo of Saadet - Community Moderator

Saadet - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 62,226 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Gary, I would suggest sending us a Feedback email within the Mobile App after a call occurs that has this issue. This way we can investigate what might be causing it.

Steps:
1) Tap your profile icon
2) Tap About
3) Tap Send Feedback 
4) Include the issue description in the body of the message
Photo of John Martin

John Martin

• 62 Points
Having the same problem. Callers are finding it very annoying to hear their voice repeated one second later! Can this be fixed?
Photo of DJ Service

DJ Service

I also have the same problem, mostly when on speaker and other times when a head set is plugged in.

• 62,346 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hey Everyone,

There are a few things that can cause echo. Most importantly, you need to check your Network Settings (your internet source)

Sometimes this can also be caused by hardware volume settings - not something that we can control.

In order to figure out the cause of the issue, you will need to contact our Support Team
(Edited)
Photo of hiigaran

hiigaran

• 138 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This is the most useless response you could give to Ring Central customers.  I am having the same issue, and this forum is not helping.

• 62,346 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi hiigaran,

Please contact technical support so that they can look into what might be causing the echo you're experiencing. There are many variables at play and some instances are more complicated than others.
Photo of DJ Service

DJ Service

This also happens when using wifi.

Hey DJ Service,

As I mentioned above - it could be network related (your internet source). Especially if there's a weak WiFi signal. Or it could even be a bandwidth issue if your network is under a lot of strain from other usage. There are a lot of things that can affect echo. Especially if it happens sporadically. 
Photo of Gary Leon

Gary Leon

This occurs on a consistent basis through bluetooth, speakerphone, headset, or handheld.  Regardless of whether I'm using wifi or my 4G LTE.  I have to switch to carrier every time (as every client complains about it).
Photo of Gary Leon

Gary Leon

And it seems there may be confusion - but my polycom is fine.  The ring central android app is not.
Photo of Bharken

Bharken

In the past, we checked on and tested our network settings, we have tons of bandwidth, and were not able to resolve the echo issues. In some situations, we found replacing the handsets/handset cords on the Polycom VVX phones helped. 

Yep, I've seen phone hardware be the root cause of the issue sometimes!
Photo of mojtabaghanidel

mojtabaghanidel

• 60 Points
I have the same problem, On every network, I connect to there is an echo, the only option I could find was to plug a headset on my phone.
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 36,178 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Here's a worthwhile article about echoing on VOIP systems and some of the possible culprits.

https://getvoip.com/blog/2012/12/18/the-biggest-causes-behind-echo-in-voip/

Photo of Bond007DMC

Bond007DMC

• 1,456 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I know this thread is a few months old, but maybe this info will help someone. This may or may not apply to every, or any other user, so check it out and be the judge.

I had a user recently tell me that on every call he makes from his cell phone (new employee - first time phone issued), the caller on the other end hears their own voice echoing back at them. My user was just speaking into the phone - no headset, and I am not sure about speaker phone use or not, but says the conversation on his end was fine. I can hear the echo in the call recordings, so it is real. It didn't matter whether it was a call using the RC app or the cell phone direct. Analytics showed green all the way. On a hunch, I removed the phone case and tested. Problem solved! He has not had any issues since with echo. Perhaps this is what is going on with SOME of you. By the way, the particular phone was a Asus Zenfone Live V (Verizon service).
Photo of Lori

Lori

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have the same issue but when answering the call from my computer using the RC app - I never use my cell phone and it's usually not charged or on. I use my speakers and microphone on my laptop and people calling in say they hear an echo of everything they say. Any suggestions how to resolve it? 
Photo of Bond007DMC

Bond007DMC

• 1,106 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Most likely, due to your audio system on the laptop, they are getting feedback by using your speakers. A headset SHOULD solve your problem if that is the cause.
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 34,682 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
In addition to what Bond007DMC mentioned, that issue can also happen if your network and router are not configured properly. You can end up with higher jitter and ping values that can definitely affect the QoS (Quality of Service) regarding VoIP calls.

Here is the link for RingCentral's network requirements. It is VERY comprehensive. If it reads like Greek to you, have your network administrator or other networking professional take a look at it and compare it to your current router/network settings.

https://support.ringcentral.com/s/article/9233?language=en_US
Photo of Lori

Lori

Yeah, I don't have a network - I work from home by myself with at&t fiber internet and router. 
Photo of Lori

Lori

I cannot stand headsets - they annoy the crap out of me so don't use them :(
Photo of Bond007DMC

Bond007DMC

• 1,106 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Your equipment (router plus Internet provider and related system) settings and capabilities (computer audio system and subsystem) could still be part of the equation. Like it or not, trying a headset (even earbuds with built in mic will suffice) is going to be the quickest and cheapest way to determine if the problem stems from the computer speaker/mic system itself. If you try that and your problem is solved, then you will have some decisions to make. If that does work and you still refuse to use a headset of any kind, you could invest in an external speaker/mic set up that has very good echo /noise cancellation, but that will take some research and/or trial and error. Good luck.
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 34,682 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
@Lori ... what you described IS your network. A network does not have to be a large enterprise type. A computer and a router are a network.

I have a home office as well and it’s necessary for me to have my network “VoIP ready”. If you don’t have the correct ports open and primary for VoIP traffic you can and will have issues like what you are seeing.
Photo of Lori

Lori

oh sorry, I meant to type I don't have a network tech. It's just me. I've had voip for 14 years. 
Photo of Andy Garrison

Andy Garrison

• 60 Points
Guess there isn't a solution yet for the RC Phone app creating significant echo on every call?  We just added 700+ users to RingCentral and it's very neat, but I can't handle calls to clients via my Samsung S10+ with the RC app. 

I've tried 13 different people with TM, Sprint, VZ, and AT&T. Everyone hears their own voice on echo. Probably ought to get this fixed ASAP since it is ONLY on the RingCentral app.  Thank you
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 36,168 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
There are several things that can cause echo. Here's a worthwhile article about echoing on VOIP systems and some of the possible culprits.

https://getvoip.com/blog/2012/12/18/the-biggest-causes-behind-echo-in-voip/

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.