Caller ID: select Outbound Caller ID on desk phone

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
We have a number of clients that have multiple outwardly facing numbers and have requested the ability to select the outbound caller id on a call by call basis from their Polycom VVX desktop phones. Is this even an option? In my research, I have not located any information that suggests that it would be possible but, admittedly, I have limited experience with the system and am always learning. :)

I have suggested that, if the client want's to do this that they can initiate the call from their desktop or mobile app and set the outbound caller ID that way and either complete the call using the app or flip it to their desk phone as a workaround.

Thanks to the community for sharing their experience and knowledge!
Photo of Midwest Protech, LLC

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,864 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Try Desktop App

(Edited)
Kim, thanks for the reply. So, the pre-call routine would be to select the outbound caller ID with the desktop app then place the call with the desk phone? I was thinking that was going to be the way to do it but was also researching if there was any functionality on the desk phones themselves to do this.
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,814 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Correct - This will be the fastest and most efficient way to do it! :-) 
Great! Thanks for clearing that up. On a related note, is there a way to select numbers that are assigned to a call queue as a user's outbound caller ID ?
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

Yes, but only if the user is a member of the call queue! :-) 
Ok, could a user be a member of a call queue without incoming calls ringing to their extension?
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

If the user needs to be in the queue for Caller ID purposes, but doesn't actually want to take calls - they can turn "Accept call queue calls - OFF" on the Desktop App. 

This is a great possible solution, I've setup a test call queue internally using one of our external numbers assigned to it and have added myself and another extension to the queue. The incoming calls to the queue work great, ringing only one of the two extensions. However, I am having intermittent success with the outbound caller ID. I can see and select the queue number as the outbound caller ID in the web interface for my extension but am unable to see it in the desktop app. I have logged in and out, stopped and restarted the app with no change.
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

How are you logging in to desktop app? Do not use the Main Number + ext.  You must use your Direct Digital Line.
- Try that & let me know.  
I am using my direct line number to log into both the web interface and the desktop app.
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

I can create an RC Meetings with you and we can check your settings together and test if that works for you today? 
(Edited)
I would very much appreciate that. Could it be later this afternoon? Say 4PM Eastern?
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

So that is 2PM MT?  That works for me!

What is your extension number and I'll send you meeting request. 
 x.107
(Edited)
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

Thank you Jerry for meeting with me today - here is your case number:  04859119 

To update this case with further information please login to http://success.ringcentral.com/RCContactSupp Select “contact support”, and you will be able to see “view: all open cases” at the bottom of the page. 
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

Official Response
Jerry - I saw that you and Marco discussed this and that a possible work around is for the number to be on assigned to the Auto-Receptionist and then it can be pulled for the Caller ID.  Then an Advanced Rule can be set for inbound calls to that number to be directed towards a call queue.

Vote here:  
Caller ID: allow Call Queue members to use Queue Number as their Outbound Caller ID on Deskphone & Softphone
(Edited)
Photo of Anderson

Anderson

• 244 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have the same issue. I own 3 businesses and would like to be able to call from my deskphone showing business a, b or c as the caller id. On the desktop app and phone app I can select my caller id. But on the deskphone I can't.

Would be great if i could press one of the lines softkeys, that if I select the first one it would be equivalent to doing an outbound call through caller id a, and the second softkey/line would be caller id b....

Any suggestions as to how this can be accomplished through the deskphone? I don't see how this works through the desktop app...since it makes the call from the desktop app.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 94,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It's not possible to change the outbound caller ID from the deskphone, however, if you frequently need to change it, I can see how this would be useful.  I will move your post to create a new Idea topic so our product team can take this idea into consideration. 

If you frequently need to change outbound caller ID it's probably best to use the desktop application. 
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 94,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
new idea topic

Please reference the new conversation here: Ability to change outbound caller ID from deskphone
Photo of akmark

akmark

• 64 Points
That link goes to 'Page not found'.  I also need this feature as we service three states and often are not answered because the number is not local.  It creates a very poor impression with the potential customer.
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

• 67,810 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey akmark,

Here is the conversation that Mike mentioned above