Caller ID: Warm Transferred & Parked Calls

• Idea
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • (Edited)
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: Show Original Callers Number in Caller ID when Transferring calls

I noticed that incoming calls transferred to my voice mailbox have the caller id of the extension from which it was transferred rather than the original caller id.  When this happens, the return call button during playback on my softphone app rings the extension who transferred the call rather than the original caller.  
  • Has anyone else noticed this?
  • Is there a setting that I should change in order to see the caller id of the original incoming call?
  • If this the way RingCentral handles transferred incoming calls, does anyone know if there is a plan to make this work a little better?
Photo of Todd Frusti

Todd Frusti

• 1,854 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,716 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Morning Todd, check the Incoming Caller ID information for each extension.  The options are in there to either pass the original caller ID info or the caller Id info of the person transferring the call

Make sense?

Chuck
Certified Ring Central Installer
ckfuscone@yahoo.com
Photo of Todd Frusti

Todd Frusti

Chuck,  thank you for your reply I think I've figured it out.  Is this where the setting is found:

Users>USER NAME>Call Handling & Forwarding>Incoming Call Information>Display this Information on: All phones.
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,696 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Yep.

do some test calls to make sure but yes, you are in the right spot

Chuck
Photo of Sarah Armstrong

Sarah Armstrong

• 260 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I tried this and it did not work.  However, someone at RC tech support told showed me the trick of using ## instead of the transfer button, and that does carry the caller ID to the 2nd call recipient.
Photo of Ashlynn Kaplan

Ashlynn Kaplan, Champion

• 1,130 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Are you saying that when you use ##ext with a warm transfer, it will send CID info opposed to using the "xfer" key?? 
Photo of John Covello

John Covello

• 156 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
##Ext will do a blind transfer.  It will disconnect the call as soon as the extension is entered and therefore the originating CID will carry through.

Photo of Ashlynn Kaplan

Ashlynn Kaplan, Champion

Ah okay. We have a recent customer that uses attended transfer for all transfers and the problem I see is that when the call is transferred, the caller ID is the ext that transferred it. If they transfer the caller to voicemail, the voicemail says, "you have a message from (ext in office that transferred the call)...." rather than the actual caller. So you have to hope they left their number in the message, otherwise, when you use the call-back function (dial 4 after message) it calls the extension that transferred the call! Yikes what a flaw. 
(Edited)
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,808 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Just letting you all know I've switched this to an Idea thread.  So it gets seen by our Product Team.

Please VOTE in the upper right corner to request this app.
(Edited)
Photo of john

john

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
has this been fixed yet?  it is a major issue as far as I am concerned
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Sorry this feature has not yet been added. 
Photo of Claudio (Customer)

Claudio (Customer)

• 14,010 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I think is just a matter to instruct the people how to use the cold transfer.
This solve the whole problem of the Caller ID.
Photo of john

john

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I might agree but for the fact tech support became close to non-existent after the first 30 days.  I also think my question applies to both cold & warm transfers that end up in my voice mail.  I want the caller id of the outside caller not the main extension of my system to show.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Hi John,   I can't promise that this feature, or any other features requested here on the Community will be implemented as we receive requests by the dozens.  However regarding any technical, or product support issues, you have had in the past  you are welcome to post questions here on the Community and we'll do our best to help you out and/or get the right people involved to support you. 

Mike 
Photo of Lee D

Lee D

• 392 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I think that transferring the caller ID for an incoming call is a basic function. This should be especially true for calls that come into the main number and are handled by a live attendant (Rather than the autoattendant) which is how many companies work, and which in general RC Seems to handle badly.  

The fact that it works fine with a blind transfer implies it CAN be done, it's just a matter of implementing it properly in the scripts.  

One of the things that would make RingCentral more awesome is if you optionally allowed your partners and end users to tinker with the phone setups (with an easy way to reset them to their default settings) to experiment with this sort of thing. Also forming a beta group where new features in say beta test stage could be optionally turned on to try would be awesome.  I think you underestimate how many features like this one the end user community can discover and feed back to you - improving your service for everyone.
Photo of Ashlynn Kaplan

Ashlynn Kaplan, Champion

Thank you, keep us updated! 
Photo of Rick Justis

Rick Justis

• 338 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Caller ID on parked & warm transferred calls.

When transferring calls announced, the caller id of the original caller never switches to the originating callers ID. Also when I park a call then pick it up using the "*80x" extension, the caller ID never shows up there. Can I manipulate these two somehow??
Photo of Amy Shumway

Amy Shumway

• 212 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We'd like to see the feature for both cold and warm transfers
Photo of Todd Frusti

Todd Frusti

Is there any progress on this feature request?
Photo of Tim

Tim

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled incoming call to transfer to show original caller id.

incoming call to transfer to show original caller id.  right now it only shows on the receiving call who the transfer is from. example, I take a call from a customer and transfer it to extension 102.  extension 102 says they are getting a call from 101 (my number) not the original caller.  I want this feature to transfer the original caller id to the transfer phone.
(Edited)
Photo of Todd Frusti

Todd Frusti

Tim, Thank you for voicing your interest in this request. RingCentral has been responsive to customer requests in the past I am hoping that they are working on this feature/option as well.
Photo of Hoopdy

Hoopdy

• 540 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Remove Transfer Message.

Hi! So one of my co-workers say that once he transfers a message, it tells the caller who's transferring him/her. 

Ex.
1. Tiki (Caller) calls Ricky.
2. Ricky transfers to Mickey.
3. Ricky's phone tells Tiki that Ricky is transferring him to Mickey.

Ricky is set as the operator.

Is it a setting on Ring Central or is it a phone setting? (I'm sorry if this is a completely separate issue from Ring Central)
(Edited)
Photo of Brett Youngberg

Brett Youngberg, Champion

• 2,336 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
This problem reared it's ugly head again yesterday. Tracey (ext 220) transfers a caller to my extension and the caller leaves a voicemail. But it shows as Tracey's voicemail in my call controller messages. I call Tracey later that day and she asks if I got the voicemail from the caller she spoke to. I hang up and start to go through my messages and don't see any calls from people outside the company that match watch she is referring too. I call her back and ask when it was so I can track it down. Finally I realized that it was the voicemail labelled "Tracey" and not from the caller she transfetred. Please fix it so it shows the Caller ID of the person who called in when they leave a voicemail , not the person who transferred (and if being transferred so I don't say "Hey Tracey" when it's someone else). If you guys feel really compelled to show us who transferred the call that goes to voicemail, show it somewhere on the call controller when I click on the message or in the little info "i" or the icons along the bottom and/or in the email notification. But since her number is associated with the message, i can't then easily click to call them back, or add it as a new contact. I have to listen to the message and hope they left their info clear enough for me to figure it out and get back to them

And once the person who warm transfers the call hangs up, the caller ID should show the incoming caller ID so when don't address them incorrectly and have that info to save/call back etc
Photo of alex d

alex d

• 2,488 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Common sense says this the way it should be,...
Will RC demonstrate common sense?
Photo of timothy mague

timothy mague

• 60 Points
The answer to the transfer issue is as follows.  If you desire the transferred call to transfer as coming from the original caller you must hit 'trnsfer'  THEN hit 'Blind' then hit the extension you wish the call to go to and hit send.  This will transfer the call as coming from the original caller with their caller id and if a message is left it will be left as from the original caller. Note: If you just hit 'trnsfer' and then dial the extension you wish to transfer to - you will have the issues that you are describing - the call appears to come from an internal extension and does NOT appear to be an outside caller.  Now the trick is to alert everyone transferring calls to learn this method.   Hope this helps
Photo of John Lemon

John Lemon

• 138 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I agree that this would be helpful. Our company likes to let another employee know who is calling before transferring. It would be great to see the caller ID of the internal extension when they call to announce the transfer. Then the caller ID of the actual caller when they complete the transfer.
Photo of Ed Milne

Ed Milne

• 234 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Warm Transfer of calls does not show the number that called..

When a call is Warm Transferred to our support the number that comes up on the call display is the number from which the call is being transferred from.  For our support reps that are using Salesforce.com, it takes some extra steps to have the account autopopulate in Salesforce.com, namely a cold transfer has to be done which is an extra step.

The way that this should work is that when a call is transferred (warm or cold) to a Call Queue the calling parties number should be displayed so that the account will Autopopulate in Salesforce.com saving time and steps in the process.
(Edited)
Photo of Roksana Dahl

Roksana Dahl

• 154 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Is there a way to pass through original identification?.

Is there a way to pass through original identification? Just to explain: If my colleague transfers me a call, I see his phone number, not a number of a caller. How can I see the number of the caller if the call is transferred to me?
(Edited)
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,716 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Roksana, When using ## to put the caller on hold this feature will then pass the Callers Caller ID information along with the call.  If you use the Hold button on the phone, it will pass that Phones extension info.

Try it and let us know if this is what you are looking for 

Thanks

Chuck
Certified RC Installer
Photo of Donovan Day

Donovan Day

• 156 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
In our company, we have a receptionist who takes all the calls and distributes them to the staff.  All of our agents need to know who is calling to provide them with the best customer experience we can give them, thus the warm transfer is the only type of transfer we'll do.  All of our agents are extremely annoyed that the caller ID shows our receptionist's extension during a warm transferred call.

We have implemented a work around where the receptionist puts the caller on hold through the RingCentral app, calls the user on Microsoft Teams (or Skype), then blind transfers the call after letting the agent know who is calling and what they're calling about.  That said, the workaround shouldn't be necessary - I'd think this would be a very easy fix for RC.  Please create an option to allow the external caller's number to come though on the caller ID of a warm transfer.
Photo of Javier Lozada

Javier Lozada

• 106 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
It's very embarrassing to have to tell our users to hold transfer then hit blind in order to show the original caller ID when transferring a call. Blind transfer is not the solution.

We need to be able to see the original caller's number when completing a warm transfer. Our old PBX System was able to do this. This needs to be a priority.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.