Calls from extension 100

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: Ghost/Phantom Calls (from 1000, 1001, 120 etc.)

Has anyone else experienced receiving calls from extension 100 and when answered is just dead air.  The calls also don't show up in the call log.
Photo of Justin Murphy

Justin Murphy

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Rich Garrett

Rich Garrett

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Yes.  It started this weekend.

Rich

Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,914 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Sip Visous

Google it.  Something is scanning your phones from the Internet.

Adjust your firewall to only accept traffic to your phones from ring central SIP servers

This does not happen to everyone but those that are getting scanned for what ever reason have done this to block at the router

Hope this helps

Chuck
Photo of alex d

alex d

• 2,528 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
A better / easier solution is required.
This is supposed to be a simple phone system.
I don't want to be a system programmer, i.e. adjust my firewall.
RC should allow blocking on non-existent extension numbers.
Even better, why is a non-existent extension even ringing through?
Photo of Stewart Robinson

Stewart Robinson

• 60 Points
Yes, I keep getting a call from extension 100, 1111, 101, 202, 2001, 303, 200, ect. NONE of these are actual extensions and have nothing to do with my system. I would love to "adjust" as noted by RC-Installer but I do not know how. Can you explain.
Photo of alex d

alex d

• 2,528 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Why is a non-existent extension even ringing through?
RC should allow blocking on non-existent extension numbers.
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 44,144 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
see merged post
Photo of Rich Garrett

Rich Garrett

I have the same problem from time to time.  Resetting the phone by unplugging the power seems to help for a time.

Rich

Photo of Rich Garrett

Rich Garrett

I did create a case for this issue and was asked for my phone serial number.  It seems that the tech did something to the phone to correct the issue.

Rich

RC-Installer, thanks for the tip, but perhaps you can take it a step further: what are the specific router configurations needed to ensure that the only SIP traffic allowed is from RC servers?
John
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,914 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Firewall rules are different for every different router manufacturer ETC....  So I could only explain what you need the firewall to do.

Basically you ONLY want your IP phones to talk to the below IP address ranges.

You may need to consult a local consultant to assist but at the end of the day you want your IP phones to only talk to these IP addresses.

Any one experienced in configuring firewalls will be able to understand this.

Chuck
Certified Ring Central Installer
chuckfuscone@gmail.com

1. If the modem is a gateway, have it on a bridged mode to disable the NAT and have the NAT of the firewall enabled so there will only be one translation for the whole network. 
2. If the gateway is already bridged or half bridge wherein they need to put in certain information like Account Internet Access(usually these information are provided by your ISP, Internet Service Provider). 
3. Steps 1 and 2 should be configured by your ISP(Internet Service Provider) 
4. If everything has been configured as mentioned above, the next step is to configure the firewall with the help of your IT guy. It might require for them to create services and policies for our service and these are the information that is needed. Please remember to enable NAT and disable SIP ALG. Remember if there are more than 1 NAT enabled on the network, voice data and registration of the phones will not work because there will be no way for those phones to communicate with our servers and vice versa. 

Ports that we use and if the firmware doesn't change the information for the assigned ports inside the IP Packets, it should follow these rule(Sonicwall uses a different algorithm and that is why a wide range of port is opened for the LAN side) 
• RCPorts1 – 5060 to 5090 UDP, User Diagram Protocol, used by RingCentral Softphone(Mac and PC versions) and SIP Phones(Polycom, CISCO, Android App SIP Phones, IOS App SIP Phones, etc.) 
• RCPorts2 – 16384 to 16482 UDP, User Diagram Protocol, ports being used by actual voice data delivered to and from SIP Hardphones and third party SIP phones(Polycom, CISCO, Android App SIP Phones, IOS App SIP Phones, etc.) 
• RCPorts3 – 8000 to 8200, User Diagram Protocol, ports being used by actual voice data delivered to and from RingCentral Softphones(Mac and PC versions) 

RingCentral Servers 
• Time Server – IP Address Range: 208.87.40.0 to 208.87.43.255 
• SIP Server1 – IP Address Range: 199.255.120.0 to 199.255.123.255 
• SIP Server2 – IP Address Range: 199.68.212.0 to 199.68.215.255
Thanks Chuck! Our network is pretty basic. We have one Netgear R6300 router, set up with NAT working and SIP ALG disabled. I have used port triggering to open up the UDP ranges you specified above. What I can't figure out is how to open those up ONLY to the RC server IPs you listed. Maybe a static route? What do you suggest?
Thanks
John
Photo of Haley Wilson

Haley Wilson

• 60 Points
If your on AT&T's UVerse network, I called their tech support and they were able to put these firewall rules into place pretty quickly.  The good news is that these calls have seem to stop!

H. Wilson

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.