How do I transfer a call directly to someone's voicemail?

• Question
  • Updated 12 months ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: We have archived this topic as it has either reached a resolution has become inactive, or information contained in this thread is no longer accurate. If you have a related question on this subject, please post a new topic.

Is there a way to transfer a call directly to voicemail for another extension within the group? On our previous phone system, we could do * then the extension and it would transfer straight to voicemail. Can that be done with this system?

Example: Inbound call needs to be directed to another employee, but you know they are away at lunch. Instead of transferring and letting their phone ring and ring, can we transfer it directly to their voice mailbox? It saves our time as well as the person making the inbound call.
Photo of Sarah Coleman

Sarah Coleman

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 26,986 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Sarah, you could also send a call directly by transfering the call to *0 + the extension number

Example to transfer a call to Extension 300 voice mail

Transfer the call to *0300

Basically add *0 in front of the extension you are transfering to and the call will go directly to VM

The other way works good also but this is less work.

Thanks

Chuck
Certified Ring Central Installer
Photo of Cherie Courtade

Cherie Courtade

• 78 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
The *0+extension doesn't work on our Polycom phones. Any other way to transfer directly to the voicemail of another extension in the office (when DND is not enabled)?
Photo of Dan Maggin

Dan Maggin

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have SoundPoint IP 430 phones. I tried the *0 solution and it simply hangs up the phone for the caller. Any suggestions or setting that I may have wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 26,976 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Make sure you are using the BLIND transfer and not just the transfer.  Bline is the only way the *0 will work on this phone.

Try and report back

Thanks

Chuck
Photo of Dan Maggin

Dan Maggin

Thank you so much for the quick feedback. I am indeed using the blind transfer. The specific steps I am doing are:

Incoming call...
  1. Answer
  2. Transfer
  3. Blind
  4. *0
  5. 100 (extension's vmail attempting to send call to)
  6. Send

However, it hangs up the incoming caller's line as soon as I hit send.
Photo of Tarja Italuoma

Tarja Italuoma

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This was very helpful it just made my day :)
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 91,814 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
If it helps, the process is just slightly different for Polycom and Cisco phones. 

• Cisco: Blind Transfer key | *0 | Ext number
         See also: Transferring directly to voicemail on a Cisco phone

• Polycom: Transfer key | Blind key | *0 | Ext. number
         See also:  Transferring directly to voicemail on a Polycom phone 

(Edited)
Photo of Cherie Courtade

Cherie Courtade

• 78 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
It worked on my Polycom phones. Thanks! This is incredibly helpful.
Photo of Dan Maggin

Dan Maggin

I have a Polycom, and the steps linked are exactly what I did. (Or, if not, then I don't understand something in the steps). It hangs up on the caller.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

It sounds like you are doing it correctly.  Can you go into the account/number that you are trying to transfer to and make sure it's set to receive messages. 

(Edited)
Photo of Dan Maggin

Dan Maggin

It is. Everyone here uses voicemail. Also, I did try on multiple extensions (100, 101, 102, etc.). Each at the same result.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

OK... We'll have to do some more research or testing. We'll try to get back to you as soon as we can. 
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Dan, are you still having problems with this?  I have not found other instances of this or a solution.  You may want to try rebooting the phone and then testing it again and if you still have problems use this link to Open a Case
Photo of Steve van Niman

Steve van Niman

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Same issue
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,250 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
See article here for Function Key

(Edited)
Photo of IT

IT

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Just a SIMPLE Forward.....

What kind of phone system does not offer a Forward option from a phone?  ANSWER RING CENTRAL... Go figure of all the modern functions, bells and whistles, it takes an administrator of an account to Forward a phone when someone is out of the office for a few days or even a few min.  You can not pickup a phone and dial *72  you can't Press a button...  Nope...  it will take all most an act of congress to do some simple things.  I am hoping some SMART company employee will read this, call me and say all the other employees in the company have no clue and this is how it is done...  until then, this phone company will continue to disappoint.
(Edited)
Photo of FAQ

FAQ

• 2,498 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How do I transfer a call using my desk phone?.

How can I transfer calls using my desk phone?
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Official Response
If you wish to transfer directly to someone's voicemail via the desktop application, just click the Transfer button. On the next screen, just search/enter the person you wish, then click the To Voicemail button. 

Photo of Steve van Niman

Steve van Niman

This is great - now how to do this on the phone for the receptionist?
Photo of Receptionist Group

Receptionist Group

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Yes, this is my question as well.
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

Put *0 in front of the extension and it will go directly to the VM box

try this and let us know

Thank you

Chuck Fuscone
Certified RC Consultant
Photo of Pete

Pete

• 558 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
It would be a great feature addition to transfer to voicemail calls using a softkey or a more simple method.  This is something we do frequently and these instructions are so "un-user friendly" we essentially need a strange cheat-sheet next to the phone.  Transfer-->User--> Voicemail or extension seems like it can be implemented on the Polycoms, right?

Also your support documents site linked above isn't loading at all as of this writing.  Frustrating.
Photo of MARION

MARION

• 234 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I am having the same trouble.  I have a polycom 411 and I cannot transfer a call directly to voicemail.  Has there been a solution to this problem yet.  This is a feature that is used a lot.  Please help.
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

Hi Marion, put a *0 in front of the extension when transferring, this will send the call directly to the voice mail of that user.

let us know if that works for you

Chuck
Certified Ring-central Consultant
Chuck@yoritguy.com
Photo of MARION

MARION

I tried that more than once and it just hung up the phone.
Photo of Saadet - Community Support

Saadet - Community Support, Official Rep

• 41,798 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hello MARION,

You will want to make sure the Transfer Type is set to Blind. So what you'll want to do is press and hold the Transfer button -> Select Blind -> *0ExtensionNumber -> then end with #

Here is an article that explains how to transfer
Photo of MARION

MARION

How do you select Blind?  Is that what I have to change in my settings on the phone?
Do I have to change this every time to transfer a call to voicemail ?

Hello MARION,

If you read the article I linked it explains that you can set Blind as the Default for when transferring. If you would prefer not for that to be your default setting, then simply follow the instructions I listed above using your Polycom device. I've transferred like this many times with no issues.
Photo of MARION

MARION

Ok, but what to you press for the Blind Key ?  I'm a little confused on that.
(Edited)

There is no separate Blind Key on the phone. 

So, let's say I have someone on a call and want to transfer it directly to Jim's voicemail (ext. 1234). On the phone I would press and hold the Transfer key, then the options Blind or Consultative will pop up on the phone screen. Using the arrow pad on the phone I would highlight the Blind option and hit Select. After that I would then press the following *01234# to end the transfer. Does that help?
Photo of Cherie Courtade

Cherie Courtade

• 60 Points
After the last software update, there is no longer a Blind option on my polycom device. The *0 no longer works. In my experience with the Help Desk, this function is no longer available on Polycom phones. You can't transfer directly to voicemail--the recipient will hear call waiting beeps (if they are on a call) until the call goes to voicemail or unless they press "reject."
(Edited)

Hmmmm....I haven't hear this yet, Cherie. Let me do some research!
Photo of MARION

MARION

I will give that a try Saadet.  Thank you.  If you find out any other information when you research, please let me know.  I appreciate your help.
Photo of MARION

MARION

Is there anyway, you can transfer the call and have it ring only a couple of times before going into voicemail?  That might be easier than this way.  Except when I transfer a call to someone who is not in the office, it rings a long time before it goes to voicemail.  If I could have it ring once or twice that would be a lot easier.  Is it possible to change the # of rings?

Hello MARION,

Not that I'm aware of.

Hey Cherie and MARION,

A colleague and I tested this and we were successful using the steps I mentioned above. 

Here they are again. With the new update what's happened is that Warm Transfer is the default transfer setting.
1. Pickup call
2. Press and hold Transfer button
3. Choose Blind Transfer
4. Enter *0(extension number)#
Photo of Steve van Niman

Steve van Niman

Cherie & Marion,

Literally, anything other than the exact instructions above have not worked for us.  But those instructions do work

1. Answer the call
2. Press and hold the Transfer button until the Transfer Type menu appears
3. Using the arrow pad, change the Transfer Type to Blind. Press the center button inside of the arrow pad to confirm.
4. Type *0 and the extension of the person’s voicemail you are sending the caller to. Then press “Send.”
5. The caller has been sent to voicemail, and you can hang up the line.
Photo of MARION

MARION

This worked for me.  Seems like a lot of steps but it worked.
Is there a way you can reduce the amount of rings the caller has to hear when you transfer a call?  That might be easier since it eventually goes into voice mail.
Photo of Receptionist Group

Receptionist Group

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This didn't work for me, it gives a message to the caller that says "I'm sorry, your call could not be connected." Help???

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.