Desktop App: monitor multiple extensions via Softphone

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Implemented
  • (Edited)
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: Desktop App: access multiple ext's without logging in and out to different extensions

I am the only employee, however I've set up Ring Central to have three extensions to track my various businesses. Is there a way to monitor the activity of all three extensions on Softphone without having to log into each extension?
Photo of Ron Woodbury

Ron Woodbury

• 332 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Ron Woodbury

Ron Woodbury

• 332 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I was able to find a work around. However, it may be limited in use - since I'm a one-person-shop, using multi extensions to track different business units.

I have the messages (voice mails) for extension 1 and 2 redirected to the operator extension 101. The unique announcements for each extension are still in tact. Just the final destination changes. Now, regardless of the extension the caller originally selected, I can see all of the messages in one place, since they are deposited into the operator's mailbox.
(Edited)
Photo of Sarah

Sarah

• 60 Points
Hey Ron,
How did you redirect multiple extensions to the same extension?

Thanks
Photo of Michael Harrison

Michael Harrison

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Sarah,

For you or anyone else that needs it...

You can change the destination of incoming messages by going to:
1) Phone System, Users, click on a User.
2) On the right side select Messages & Notifications.
3) Click on Message Recipient,
4) Select the extension where you want messages delivered.

You'll probably want to double check Notifications as well.
(Edited)
Photo of Trevor Cox

Trevor Cox

• 74 Points
But won't that only deal with voicemail? What if you want to answer all 3 extensions?
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,466 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
That works.

Thanks for sharing

Chuck
Certified Ring Central Installer
Photo of Robert Sammons

Robert Sammons

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
We really need to be able to see what extensions are busy and not on the SoftPhone. I cannot recommend the system to others until this function is added.
Photo of J Maas

J Maas

I agree, this is too limited as is. Multiple extensions are the norm these days which sadly makes the RingCentral Softphone little more than a curiosity.
Photo of J Maas

J Maas

Okay, I set things up the same way as Ron Woodbury, but now, how does one tell which extension the caller used when recording the message? Even if I log in to the Overview page, I see all the messages that were left, but there is no hint as to which extension any of them were routed to just before leaving the message.
Photo of Luke Corbitt

Luke Corbitt

• 60 Points
For each extension over which you need SoftPhone control, go to Call Handling & Forwarding, then click the SoftPhones & SmartPhones button and choose Yes for 'Notify administrator's SoftPhone'.

If you do this for all 2 or 3 or however many extensions and then log into your SoftPhone as the administrator, calls from all extensions will ring the SoftPhone.
Photo of Brett Youngberg

Brett Youngberg, Champion

• 2,216 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Hasn't this been implemented on the softphones. I can see extensions of my favorites and in the HUD to see if they are on a call, unavailable etc?
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,378 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Yes Brett,  Thanks!    Here's a help topic showing how the HUD feature works. 

RingCentral for desktop Head-Up Display
Photo of Chris-Fortune

Chris-Fortune

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled SoftPhone and Mobile App- Multiple Extensions : Unnecessarily Required to Log-Out....

I have multiple Extensions and I am required to Log-out of the Mobile App or SoftPhone each time I want to access texting/fax/phone features for a specific extension.  It is unnecessary to require someone to Log-out and Login- in other words it is very frustrating and ridiculous.  The Programming Engineers should design the apps where you do not need to Logout and back in when go back and forth from one extension to another; it should be built into the app.

I should be anble to manage all of my extensions from within the app account.
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,574 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Please VOTE in the upper right corner if you'd like to see this feature added to the Desktop App.
Photo of Samantha Lee

Samantha Lee

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I totally agree! One thing I have done is to use google chrome and my iPhone app.. So I can at least monitor three extensions at once without logging into the online account.
Photo of Trevor Cox

Trevor Cox

• 74 Points
This is also a major issue without soft phones. If I want to have multiple extension #'s for myself (e.g. I handle both sales and support), I have to enter my phone number, hours, recordings etc. for each extension, making it a pain to make changes and keep things consistent. A one person business shouldn't be so much work to set up.

Michael Harrison

Just curious, since this is marked as implemented will it still get picked up by the development team? As a partner, we see this situation come up at almost every site we install.

We've worked around it with multiple shared inboxes for email notifications. It's not very elegant. Having this feature builtin to the Desktop App would be ideal. (Can I do anything with Glip to share inboxes?)
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,378 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Trevor and Michael,   Can   both of you create a new post here and explain in more detail the features/functionality you are looking for.  I think different people use the word "monitor" loosely so It's hard to tell if people just want to see who's actively on a call via HUD, or monitor inboxes for faxes, SMSs etc?   I'll take a look at your responses and can move them into new Idea topics if necessary so they can be considered. 

To help our Product Team understand your request and assure it gets more consideration, please include the following details in your request: 
  1. Account type  (U.S., Canada, UK,  AT&T, Telus, BT)
  2. A brief description of the business 
  3. A high level description of the product or feature being requested
  4. A typical use case scenario explaining how your business would use the feature
  5. Benefit of such feature
  6. Include any related case number if applicable

Michael Harrison

Mike,

I can see how this gets confusing. Here it is in the format requested:

1) Account Type - US
2) Business - Service Company
3) Brief Description - Ability for multiple users to monitor a common inbox for voicemail and faxes.
4) Scenario - Client has multiple people answering the phone. These same users need to have their own voicemail box while also monitoring the main inbox for voicemail and faxes.
5) Benefits - By enabling shared inboxes we can have general inboxes for the client to manage department voicemail/faxes much easier.
6) Case Number - N/A

Another example would be our office. We have a sales department, help desk, and admin department. Our users may be working in more than one department or multiple users are managing phone calls for a single department. So if a call happens to go to voicemail for the Help Desk all of the techs and the dispatcher can see that there is a message waiting. Currently we have to rely on email notifications and workarounds that don't work as smoothly as I'd like. If there was a way to view department voicemail/faxes (and maybe tag them to a responsible user so we can keep track of who is working the voicemail/fax) as well as personal/user voicemail/faxes it would solve a lot of problems.

Does that help? I can break it down a little neater if you need something more concise.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.