Mobile App: Customize Alerts and Ring Tones

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Under Consideration
  • (Edited)
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: Add Custom RingTones for Mobile App, Desktop app and Deskphones

Is there a way to change the ringtone that I hear in my bluetooth Blue Ant Q2 headset when receiving a call through the mobile app on my iPhone. The ringtone is Marimba and is not selected as a ringtone for any setting on my iPhone. I tried other bluetooth headsets with the same result.
Photo of Doug

Doug

• 642 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Richard

Richard

• 124 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This would be a great update, i hate the default ringtone and its a bit of a nightmare when 4 of us are sitting in the same room and we are all using the app........you get the picture!
Photo of Jheck Taruc

Jheck Taruc

• 668 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This is not what I meant. When a caller called my number they I will hear a tone on my iPad. It is not working. I can only see them calling me but I am not being notified. It seems on silent mode though my volume is on max..
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,968 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The app does not have it's own volume controls, rather it just uses the standard controls on the mobile device.  It is possible that (on an iPad), the mute button located on the side of the device has been turned on. 
Photo of Dana Cramer

Dana Cramer

• 460 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I agree that this would be an added feature.  I use the Ring Central app on my personal phone.  It would be very nice if calls coming through the app could be different than my personal calls.
Photo of Joe Jones

Joe Jones

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This may a deal breaker for me. I want to use my iphone as my main incoming phone line.
Photo of Dawn Flemming

Dawn Flemming

• 286 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Is there a way to get a separate ring tone for my RingCentral calls on my iphone?....

Is there a way to get a separate ring tone for my RingCentral calls on my iphone? I'd like to know the difference between work calls and personal.
(Edited)
Photo of Kasia Mikurda

Kasia Mikurda

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Any updates on that subject?
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled different ringtone between personal and business to differentiate call on cell ph....

I need to be able to tell from my cell whether or not a call that is coming in is for my business or personal
(Edited)
Photo of Danno

Danno, Champion

• 28,170 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Charene Beauty Services  you can set a preferencing alert in your Ring Central Call handling tab so you can discern that the call is coming form your business number.  Works like a charm.  
(Edited)
Photo of Ginger

Ginger

• 268 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I don't see anything titled 'preferencing alert' in the "call handling and forwarding" tab. Is this only for the i-phone?  I have an android and cannot find anywhere that I can change my ringtone. On my android, the ringtone that is being used for my "business" line is the same as my personal phone number. I want them to have different ring tones.
Photo of Danno

Danno, Champion

Charene Beauty Services 

Go to Call Handling for the user, at the bottom of the screen you’ll find Incoming Call Information, there is a section Play announcement before connecting – select the “For non-RingCentral phones only” and Save.   

Photo of Ginger

Ginger

Hmm.  Maybe this is still an android thing, but I have that option checked, but it is still the same ringtone. I'm not exactly sure what "play announcement before connecting" even means. To me, an announcement is words... I just have a ringtone (same as the personal ringtone on the device).
One thing that does happen is, in the first few seconds of the ringing, the "RingCentral" screen shows on my device, and then after about 3-5 seconds the screen changes to my normal 'phone' app screen. Other than that, the ringtone is the same from start to finish.
Photo of Kymberly Kelly

Kymberly Kelly

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Sme problem,  I only see RC banner for a second before it switches to a regular incoming call screen.  If I don't get a chance to see or hear the "notification," like if I am in another room, then by the time I get to the phone, I cannot tell whether it is a business call or regular call.   Is there a way to keep the banner showing until the call is answered, or have a separate ring tone, so I know if it is a RC call?
Photo of Danno

Danno, Champion

Sorry, I thought the ring tone comment was covered by the other posts. Ring tone is a function of your cell phone so that’s why any carrier (including RC) or any VoIP system (even CISCO) can’t control that.  My suggestion was receiving a preferencing message at the front of the call.  For example, I have a client who owns 4 different companies, and with this setting he can answer his one cellphone with the proper company name by the preferencing message he receives before he answers the call. He is very happy with the feature. Or, you can install the RC app on your phone since that plays a different ring tone than your cellphone’s ringtone.  That would tell you it’s a business call by the ringtone. 

Photo of Ginger

Ginger

Sorry to be such a nuisance... Where can I set the 'preferencing message at the front of the call'?   Because, even though i have the "For non-RingCentral phones" item checked, there still is no "message" playing, only the same exact ringtone. I am just confused by this. I have the RC app on my android, and the ring tone is still the same as my personal calls on my android device. Maybe I have not made that clear... I have an android phone with t-mobile cell service... which is my personal phone... I have the RC app installed on my device so that my RC business number is being forwarded to my personal-t-mobile-cellular device.  I thought that was a normal set-up, but the explanation given in this thread has began to confuse me.  Also, those in the thread above are talking about a default RC ringtone (iPhone?). I only hear the one that was already present on my phone, before the app was ever installed (the one that rings when I get a personal call).
Photo of Kasia Mikurda

Kasia Mikurda

• 84 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Changing notification tones for iPhone app.

I wonder if I can change notification tone in my Ring Central iPhone app? I mean the tone that notifies me when new SMS or voice message arrives? Thanks!
(Edited)
Photo of Jheck Taruc

Jheck Taruc

• 668 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled how to change ringtone for mobile app.
(Edited)
Photo of Allyssa

Allyssa

• 108 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
People have been requesting this for 2 years!? Well add me and my office to the list of users who would like to see this feature sooner than 2 more years. We are a single practitioner doctors office, and taking after hours call would be much better if this were an option! 
Photo of Jose Pastor

Jose Pastor, Official Rep

• 690 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
We do read all of these and like is actually a very effective way of moving a topic to the top of the stack.

This thread has several requests in it some of which are solvable.

Case 1
In the case where you are using the mobile app for VoIP calling on your phone you should receive a different ring on your phone than a cellular call.  The way to set that up has two parts.
1. Log in to the service.ringcentral.com
2. Click Phone System (if you are an admin)> Users and select the user who will be receiving the forwarded call
3.  Click Call Handling & Forwarding (if you are not an admin just click this under Settings)
4. Set First ring to Desktop apps and Smartphones to ON

When you click this button make sure to set it so that the mobile app rings long enough that you can answer it like this:

and click save.

This way when someone calls your cell phone you will get whatever your phone ringer is set to, and when you get a RingCentral call you will get a "data ring."

Case 2.
In the case where you are having call forwarded to your cell phone, the best option for a custom ring is to make some configurations to have a custom ring for a contact.

Here is how you do it.
1. Go to your Call Handling & Forwarding (as described above)
2. Click Incoming Call Information
3. Set the incoming number displayed to the called number

4. Go create a contact on your phone with that number and set a custom ringtone for it.

Either way you should be off to the races.

Jose
Photo of Doug Catiller

Doug Catiller

• 200 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
What is the "Data Ring" you are referring to and how do I get it? The problem I am having is that I receive VOIP calls on my Android phone. When those calls come in, I want to be able to have a different ringtone than the native cellular ringtone. Right now it defaults to the native cell ringer for VOIP calls. If I change the phone's native ringtone, that is what the RC app uses. A separate built-in ring would solve my problem, but I don't even seem to have that. 

On a separate note, the RC app vibrates when a call is coming in, which I personally cannot stand. I would love to be able to turn that off too. I'm not a software developer, but I can't imagine that this is such a  complicated thing for the app to be able to do (unless it is a web app, then it completely makes sense). This is frustrating because it is the one feature I've felt is missing since I started using the service and it seems like a pretty basic offering for a mobile phone. I can't imagine ever wanting the ringtones to be the same for VOIP and cell on the same device, and I definitely can't imagine most people being okay with not being able to change the VOIP ringtone. 
Photo of Emily Magnuson

Emily Magnuson

• 174 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Add option to change ring tones on the RingCentral Mobile App..

I work in a tight office with co workers who also have ring central on their cell phones. When ring Central rings, it's the same ring tone for all of us. So it's hard to tell who's phone is ringing with out walking back to the desk and picking it up. Please make it so you can choose from multiple ring tones! Please!
(Edited)
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 37,222 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Emily,

The RingCentral mobile app's ringtone uses the ringtone of the user's cell phone. If you all have the same ringtone for regular calls on your collective cell phones, that will occur. If everyone selects a different ringtone for their cell phone, this will not occur.
Photo of Stylee

Stylee

• 312 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Jan, you are incorrect. I work in a 24/7/365 industry and I require my phone to wake me. The ringtone my phone makes when I receive an incoming call via the ringcentral system is completely different than if someone just calls my cell phone directly. What Emily has been trying so hard to tell people is that there is absolutely no way to change that ringtone. I have checked everywhere possible. Any call received on my iPhone via ring central has a particular ringtone that cannot be changed.

Admins, this is a simple question that has been danced around for 2 years now within this thread alone. Either admit you cannot change the ringtone of an incoming ring central call on your iPhone or tell us how to do it. Poor Emily seems to have given up.

Here's the question made super simple:

You call me at my office, I am at lunch so the call rolls to my iPhone. My iPhone makes a noise to alert me of your call. How do I change the noise my iPhone makes?

If this CANNOT be changed, please just say it can't be changed. I understand you don't want to admit to a limitation of your product, but this will end a discussion that has been going on for 2 years.
(Edited)
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 37,222 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Please re-read my answer to Emily. I stated that in her situation, or for that matter ANY CLOSE proximity situation, if everyone had a different ringtone set for their cell phone they could tell whose cell phone was ringing. I never said that a RingCentral incoming call ringtone would be different than a "regular" incoming cell phone call ringtone.

Emily made one post here and she simply stated that all the members of her office had the same cell phone ringtone and therefore they couldn't tell the difference when a RingCentral phone call came. Yes, she did ask that RingCentral make a separate ringtone functionality for RingCentral incoming calls but it's possible that my response to her satisfactorily solved her/their situation. My response was not incorrect but rather a workaround for Emily's small office situation.

Having said the above, I agree that a separate ringtone being able to be set for an incoming RingCentral call would be nice but I am not an engineer and I don't even know if that is possible.
Photo of Doug Catiller

Doug Catiller

I'm with Stylee. The question that I'm seeing repeatedly asked by multiple people for the last 2 years is very simple. The only way I think that allowing a changeable ringtone is not possible or difficult is if the RC app is a web app that is installable from Android and IOS. If the RC app is a simply a web app, then please say that and I'll stop looking to your "app" to do this very basic thing. If it is truly a native app, then a changeable ringtone AND control over whether or not to vibrate are basic functions that are entirely possible. I've been using the Bria app on both Android and IOS to overcome this limitation on the native RC app. I would love to not have to use a third-party app for this, but that is really not a possibility right now. 
Photo of Stylee

Stylee

Doug,

The will not admit that you cannot change their tone. It is a limitation to their software their engineers somehow cannot fix. For some reason they won't outsource this option to make countless customers happy. They will beat around the bush on here and give you fixes for something completely different, until you get annoyed and spell out the problem in the most basic of terms, as I did.

I finally got them to admit that you cannot change the ringtone at all. They just didn't post it pubically. They said something about the phone software not allowing this, even though other IP calling apps can do it.
Photo of Doug Catiller

Doug Catiller

I agree, Stylee. I think it is a limitation of how it was implemented. It looks mostly like a web app in a wrapper, but I'm no expert. I think a web app would be restricted in how it can interact with native functions of the device. 
Photo of Robert Marks

Robert Marks

• 22 Points
I used to use Ring Central last year in Georgia.  I am now in Denver and convinced my new employer to switch to Ring Central.  One of the selling features I mentioned was that the Ring Central calls had a different ring on my iPhone, so i IMMEDIATELY knew if I was receiving a business call versus a personal call.  

Soooo, we switched and guess what?  The Ring Central calls that get forwarded to my iPhone DO NOT have a different ring.  I've been on the phone with customer support for over 45 minutes and STILL can't get that feature to work.

HELP!!!!!!
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,998 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hello Robert Marks , 

Sorry if you received wrong information.  Can you tell us who gave you this info?  Was it a RingCentral employee? 
Photo of Robert Marks

Robert Marks

• 22 Points
Thanks for getting back to me Mike.  Unfortunately, it WAS a Ring Central employee.  We were on the phone for almost an hour and basically got nowhere.

As I mentioned, I used to work at a company in Savannah, GA that used Ring Central and it was that very feature, i.e. knowing that a call to the iPhone was a business call because it had a different ring, that I used to convince my new employer to switch to Ring Central.

So?  Is it still possible?

Robert Marks
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,998 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Robert, Sorry for the confusion. This appears to be a misunderstanding from  your first post and my question.  I was with the understanding that a RingCentral rep told you this feature existed.  
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,814 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Mark - Are you receiving calls forwarded to your cell phone carrier, or answering them through the RC Mobile App? 

The RC Mobile App on a iPhone always pulls the cell phones default ringtone. 

If the calls are forwarded to your cell phone, then you can create a contact for yourself in your iPhone (add new contact with your work extension phone number), then set that contact to have a specific Ringtone in your iPhone settings.  Then in your RingCentral settings under Call Handling & Forwarding > Incoming Call Information select "Called Number".  
Try that - test it and let me know. 
(Edited)
Photo of Robert C

Robert C

• 108 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Ring+tone.

Change ringtone for android app... it would be extremely valuable to be able to change the ringtone on the android app. If you can do that and be able to change it based on queue or something even better.

A lot of times i dont get to see whos calling just hear the ring, because im in my car. Hearing the standard phone ring tone i end up answering with, "hello" rather than the company name, and it then becomes confusing.... "is this.....?" Im sure you can see the need for this. Ive read other posts which hit on this but i wanted it to be clear.

Thanks
Photo of Stylee

Stylee

Just so you know, people have asked them for this feature since 2012. I have been for over a year now. It won't happen. Ever. They just don't know how to do it. I'm sure it all comes down to it being forgotten during development and them not wanting to fork out the cash to have the programmers return and add that very useful feature. I actually scrapped the app. I just use the standard phone company features to forward my calls at work to my cell phone. If I receive a call from the office, I have it set to a different ringtone for that number. Works like a charm! It just bypasses their whole app altogether where I deleted it off my phone. My phone runs much better and my battery lasts a lot longer because of it. I wouldn't waste time trying to research this. I wish I had the countless hour back trying to make it work. I have an iPhone, but we both have the same issue. Best of luck.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,968 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hello Stylee,  Sorry, we know that waiting for features to be implemented can be frustrating. I assure you this idea has not been forgotten. However this Community is just one of several sources where we collect information. We receive dozens of requests each week from this Community and several other sources.  Our Product Team reads and reviews all idea submissions on a regular basis.  Because of the large number of feature requests that we receive, there is a rather complicated prioritization process that each idea goes through. Unfortunately some ideas on on the table for a long time before they become implemented. The best way for users to be heard is to use the vote button on these community topics. 

Thanks
Mike 
Photo of RIVERA

RIVERA

• 66 Points
Stylee, that is a great work around but for me I need the RC app for outbound calls.  Since I work remotely and use my personal cell phone, I don't want my clients having my personal cell number.  I wish RC developers would just integrate this functionality, it seriously can't be that difficult.
Photo of HENRY

HENRY

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Need volume setting on app for inbound ring.

The inbound ring on the app has become very soft.  Making it louder BLASTS the ringtone for incoming cell calls. So either need to sync the volume or have a separate ring volume setting for app.
Photo of McLaughlin

McLaughlin

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I agree it would be ideal to allow a different ringtone so a user can distinguish a business/personal call without even having to take the phone out of his/her pocket. I'd add that silence or vibrate should be options as well...some like to see the notification on the screen but don't want the audible ring (however don't want to fully silence their phone, either).
Photo of Amanda Adams

Amanda Adams

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Change RC App Notification Sounds for iOS app.

When using the Ring Central app for Apple iOS and Android operating systems, we need to have the ability to change the notification sounds. We use the app to "page" the physicians for urgent hospital calls during the day and night and the notification sound is not near loud enough. It does not wake our physicians up during the night and is often not heard even during the day hours. We have tried setting up notifications through email and email apps however you cannot differentiate between non-work and work related emails or the apps also do not have the capability to change the notification sound.
Photo of Back Office

Back Office

• 64 Points
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I request that the developers create a unique ring tone for new texts, phone call....

I request that the developers create a unique ring tone for new texts, phone calls received on the mobile app. we are now using the phone for business, and unlike when I get a call on my iphone, the RC mobile app doesn't notify me that I have a new text or call. Mayb just give the message a identifiable ring tone.
Photo of Stu Sambell

Stu Sambell

• 84 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Ring Tone on my Android.

Ringcentral Canada - Cell Phone App - I recently switched to an Android cell phone and now when my personal Cell Phone Rings, it has the same Ringtone as the Ringcentral App.  I can not change it on Ringcentral. If I change my personal phone ring tone, the App adopts the same ring tone - A total nightmare as I can not ascertain if I have a private or business call.  This has GOT to be placed in the line for development.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.