Can you send or receive business SMS texts from the main line?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: We have archived this topic as it has either reached a resolution, has become inactive, or information contained in this thread is no longer accurate. If you have questions or comments related to this to thread, please create a new topic, or post to anot

Using my Android app, I cannot seem to send/receive texts and it asks me to use a direct number. I don't want to use a direct number; I want to use my main number, for both send and receive. Is this possible?
Photo of Hassan

Hassan

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Desiree

Desiree, Alum

• 7,250 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Hassan,

You can only send / receive SMS text messages using local numbers:

http://success.ringcentral.com/articles/RC_Knowledge_Article/RingCentral-Business-SMS-Frequently-Ask...

Is your main number an 800 number?

Thanks.

Desiree
Photo of Hassan

Hassan

No, my main number is a local number, but I can't seem to send/receive texts from it and it's very important that I be able to do this. Can you help?
Photo of Desiree

Desiree, Alum

Hi Hassan,

Are you logging in using your company number + extension?

Thanks.

Desiree
Photo of Hassan

Hassan

Yes, I am logging in with the main number (a local one) with my extension. I also tried without an extension. I am able to make calls with no problem, and incoming calls to my office that I want routed to my cell phone come in with no problem. It's just the texting. It makes me choose between two direct numbers, and I haven't received any business texts since I ported my main number to RC on 8/30...please help!
Photo of Hassan

Hassan

I really need this answered. I don't seem to be receiving all the text messages on my main number (a local number) and I cannot send anything out on the main number. I spent a lot on an advertising campaign assuring my clients they could text my office number...I need this to work. Please help! Thanks.
Photo of Desiree

Desiree, Alum

Hi Hassan,

Sorry about that.

Does this happen when you text anyone? I know this happens when you try to text someone also in your company that does not have a DID.

Also, can you please send me a screenshot of what you see in the mobile app (when asked to choose a direct number)?

Thanks.

Desiree
Photo of Hassan

Hassan

Actually it doesn't ask me to choose numbers anymore; that was because I had a separate alias number I had pointed to my extension but it is no longer associated with it.

Yes it happens when I text anyone. The caller ID is my direct number, not the main number. I'm receiving text messages - but I'm concerned that I might not be receiving all of them.

Please help!
Photo of RingCentral Social Team

RingCentral Social Team, Alum

• 2,224 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Hi Hassan,

Are you still unable to send messages? Or, was that resolved when you removed the extension associated with it?

Also, why do you think you're not receiving text messages (are people reporting that to you)?

Thanks.

Desiree
Photo of Hassan

Hassan

Because I can't see any of the texts on my RC app. I get emails with some texts, but given the number of texts I used to receive, the number has gone down so much that I'm afraid I'm losing a lot of them.

I am still unable to send texts from the main number. I had an alias phone number which I associated with another phone number, so now I have only one. I just need to be able to send and receive from the main number as opposed to the direct extension.
Photo of Jennifer Kellogg

Jennifer Kellogg

• 134 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I am having the same problem. In the RC ios app I set caller ID to the Company number, but anytime I send an outgoing text thru RC it sends from my direct line #, not the company number.

This is happening for all my employees also. Please help - we need this fixed!
Photo of Ben Foster

Ben Foster, Alum

• 6,124 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi guys - the first step is to go to the app's settings menu > My Mobile App Settings > Outbound Caller ID and set the caller ID number to your direct number. What happens when you create a new SMS? On my tester account, I can select either the company main number or one of my direct numbers when I write a new SMS. Note that I am an admin on this account.
Photo of Bob Beauchamp

Bob Beauchamp

• 62 Points
I have the same problem. On iPhone I choose my main number as caller id but texts sent still show they are coming from my direct number. My main number is local. Also, texts to my main number don't show up in my app. In fact I don't know where they go.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.