Network: How to setup Cisco 2911 Router?

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Hello, my company is switching over from a Cisco small business router (RV325) to a Cisco 2911. Our phones were working fine on the RV325, but we are having trouble when connected to the 2911.

We called Ringcentral support and they basically told us that we need to forward ranges of ports on the 2911. However, the 2911 doesn't actually support forwarding port ranges. I noticed that the 2911 is listed as a supported router, so one would think there would be a way to get the phones to work with the router.

Has anyone else gotten their Ringcentral phones to work with a 2911 or are we just going to have to invest in some different equipment?

Thanks,
-Dan
Photo of Daniel Zamadics

Daniel Zamadics

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Dave Herron

Dave Herron, U.S. Tier 3 Support

• 768 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hi Daniel,
This is actually going to be a little more complex than just setting up the port forwarding. You probably need to familiarize yourself with Access Lists if you aren't already. Here is one I just googled https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2Otbr9bDRY. You can probably find a few more if you need. Once you are able to create access lists appropriately you can then design one specific to your network, and ensure you open up all traffic to and from our IP ranges:

199.255.120.0/22
199.68.212.0/22

If you want to further secure it you can specify the port ranges as well:

5060–5099

16384–16482

8000–8200

Hope this helps.

-Dave

Photo of Andy Thompson

Andy Thompson, Sales Engineer (SE)

• 756 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I would also recommend disabling any SIP inspection policy that may be present.
Photo of Daniel Zamadics

Daniel Zamadics

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thank you guys for your help, I was clearly over thinking it with the port forwarding. I applied a few simple access lists and the phones were able to register almost immediately. Lesson learned!
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 88,774 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the follow up Daniel! 
Photo of Steve Grosz

Steve Grosz

• 60 Points
Do you have a sample of the access list you used that worked on your router?