SMS: Can't send/receive SMS Text messages on my Ring Central Account

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: We have archived this topic as it has either reached a resolution has become inactive, or information contained in this thread is no longer accurate. If you have a related question on this subject, please post a new topic.

I recently started service with RC. Everything seemed to be working fine, but I discovered a major bug on my setup. I run a locksmith business and need to have full access to my SMS texting client on my Iphone 5. Currently I can send out SMS text message but i can't receive inbound SMS text messages. This is a major problem for me because most of my clients send me their personal name and address via SMS text for security reasons. In most cases it is the only PROOF that I have the authorization to be on their property. I do a lot of work for banks and property management companies and they sent me this information in an SMS text.

I decided to change my phone service to RC so I could have my personal cell phone remain personal. The only work around to this problem until it is fixed is for me to give my clients my private cell number and have them text me their information. The problem is I don't want anyone to have my personal cell phone number because the phone won't stop ringing it will go off 24/7. I only provide locksmith service by appointment only during normal working hours. We don't offer emergency locksmith services. We leave that to all the SCAMMERS.

One thing that I have noticed is people who have Verizon cell service I am receive their SMS text messages. As far as the rest of the cell companies no luck.

If you have any suggestions I would love to hear them.

Thank You
Bruce
Photo of Bruce Peterson

Bruce Peterson

• 310 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,438 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Anyone having problems receiving text messages from a specific carrier feel free to Open a Web Case  and provide Support with the specific carrier and examples if possible.

Mike
(Edited)
Photo of Robert Stoeber

Robert Stoeber, Champion

• 1,788 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
This seems like an ongoing issue, and I've had my Ring Central account for one year now so I'll toss in my updated comments. (See additional information about my troubles earlier in this thread.) I switched from a long-time 8x8 account specifically because RC offers text messages to my business phone number.
These are U.S. only comments.

First, it seems like everyone with a new Ring Central account can send text messages with no problem. But receiving messages always requires opening a support ticket and going through a process I described in my earlier post in this thread. (Have several people send you text messages. Note the date, time and sender's phone number and carrier. Put all that information into a support ticket and RC staff will quickly fix your incoming message problem.)

Since they fixed my account to receive messages I believe it has been 100% reliable. I'm not aware of any text messages sent to me that didn't arrive.

However, you can't depend on Ring Central for any automated systems that send you text messages. For example, the new 2-factor authentication systems that send you a code as a text message when you log in. I have tried a lot of these, just to see what would happen and mostly they don't work. I wish someone from RC would explain that since those systems are designed specifically to work with the cell phone SMS network, but I have been unable to get any answers. Some systems do work, but it's unpredictable until you test it, so I gave up on that.

So, here's what I do. Whenever I am giving a phone number to be used by a computer to send me a text message I give out my actual cell phone number. Whenever I give out my number to a human for calls or texts, I give out my Ring Central number. This actually works fine for me because I don't care about giving computers my cell phone number, it's the people who should only have my RC number.

Hope this helps someone. I also hope RC is working on a solution so that all text messages work properly - more and more security and notification systems depend on SMS so RC needs to increase their reliability.
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,634 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
For those having this issue, have some co-workers test this with you... grab someone with each carrier (T-Mobil, Verizon, AT&T, etc.).  Also test from RingCentral - to - RingCentral.  See if you can limit it to a specific carrier, or is it all carriers?  Once the carrier is isolated, open a webcase with Support and they will reach out to have this resolved.  

In your case notes, Support will need a few text samples of failed SMS: 
Date: 
Time: 
Texted to: (number + carrier) 
Texted from: (number + carrier)

Note: if you have recently ported in your number, please allow 7-14 days to be able to SMS from a ported in number. If after 14 days you are still unable to text, please open a web case.  

Regarding the verification codes, there are 2 types of code and RingCentral does not do short code.  That is why those verification codes will not be accepted.  To request this feature please see HERE and select the LIKE button. 
(Edited)
Photo of Robert Stoeber

Robert Stoeber, Champion

• 1,788 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Kim, is the "short code" issue something that is a technical limitation in the RingCentral system so it will never work?  Or are you saying it doesn't work today, but you are working on a solution?
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

Robert - please like feature request SMS: receive verification code via text messages  to request verification codes. 
Photo of Joe Mahlow

Joe Mahlow

• 324 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I am having issues not sending and receiving
texts... we need a solution and do not know where to start
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 35,424 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Joe,

Two questions:
1. Do you have a RingCentral Office account?

2. Are you logging in with a toll-free number + extension or are you logging in with a Direct Dial Line? SMS texts will not work with a toll-free number.

You need to have a RingCentral Office account to use SMS text functionality. If you don't have an Office account (i.e., you have a Professional account instead) you will need to speak to your sales associate. If you do have a RingCentral Office account, log into your RingCentral mobile app or your RingCentral for Windows application using your direct dial line to be able to send/receive text messages.
Photo of Joe Mahlow

Joe Mahlow

I'm not sure if we have an office account. We have been with ring central a while and we switched over to business SMS recently about 4 months ago and everything was working fine until yesterday when we tried texting in and out with different cellphones from our employees and no one was getting the text or able to text our line. We usually log in the desktop app with our local number and no extension. We were told by ring central yesterday to login in with the 800 phone number and same thing no texts were being received.
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

Joe, please e-mail the number that is having issues to community.support@ringcentral.com and I'll take a look at it for you. Please reference this topic.
(Edited)
Photo of Joe Mahlow

Joe Mahlow

Thanks Kim! I just emailed you the info, been sitting on hold with Ring Central for 45 minutes now
Photo of Joe Mahlow

Joe Mahlow

90% of our business is done through text, so this is a huge blow if they do not correct it
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

If you have isolated the issue to T-Mobile, AT&T, Verizon, etc...note that in the case b/c Tier 2 will have to open a case with the carrier.
I'm having this issue now and I can see it seems to be common with Ring Central! My business relies on SMS 95% as well and I'm just sitting here watching money go down the drain.
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

If you are having this issue, please isolate the carrier and open a support case so that our team can open a ticket with the carrier to have them resolve the issue.  
My carrier is ring central i have and i am waiting patiently.
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 35,424 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I believe that Kim is requesting to know your cell phone carrier...not your VOIP business phone provider.
Im using the soft phone desktop app. Ive ported my numbers to ring central.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Main Pink Calls and Text ,   Are you having a problem sending SMS messages?  What Kim & Jan are saying above, is that we'll need to open a case with the cell phone carrier that the problem is with.  Can you identify if it's AT&T, Verizon, Sprint etc?   Once you figure out who the issue is with, then if you open a case, we can report it to the carrier. 
Its been over 24Hours and still no texts. The amount of money Ive lost will never be accounted for. What Im trying to say to you people is weve ported our numbers from Rogers over 7 months ago, we were texting just fine yesterday at 9am and then by noon it stopped sending, all msgs turned red and that was that. Still not able to send and receive. I have a business package with ringcentral that includes SMS I wasnt aware of another carrier dealing with SMS I thought I pay ring central ONE BILL and they are my sole providers. If you cannot understand what Im saying please have a manager call me IM EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED and will take this to another level if necessary.
(Edited)
Photo of Teana Yap

Teana Yap

• 226 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have been trying to resolve the same issue with RC for two months now.  I can make outbound texts but can not receive inbound.  Tech Support keeps pushing me off with no resolution.  My business also depends greatly on the reliability of Text messaging.  This is a huge issue.
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

Teana - 
  1. What is the case number?  
  2. Have you isolated the issue to one specific carrier or are all sms not working inbound?  
Please e-mail the DL + Ext number that is having the issues to community.support@ringcentral.com
Photo of Teana Yap

Teana Yap

Hi Kim thanks for your reply. The case number is 04109408.

We are having the issue with all numbers. SMS is not working on any inbound number. Perhaps you could explain the carriers involvement. We ported the two numbers from an external carrier to Ring Central.

Mainline number is 416-534-3476. The direct line is 416-549-1676 and 416-534-3476 extension 101. We are operating out of Toronto Canada.
(Edited)
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

Teana - are you logged in with your Digital Line number (no ext) and your password? Do NOT log in with the Main Number + Ext. 

Regarding carriers, test sending SMS with some different carrier's to your DL.  See if you can isolate it to not receiving SMS from just one carrier (see above thread). 

I'm checking into your case now....
(Edited)
How long did it take them to fix this issue?!?!?
Photo of Teana Yap

Teana Yap

Still not fixed and has gotten worse. Kim. I can't even text you back or make internal texts now. What is going on?
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Teana,  I reviewed your case, and the original problem is still being worked on. Our support team had to open a case with another carrier to resolve your issue. As for the problem being unable to send texts, that is actually something new.  Our support team has identified the issue and is already working on a fix, but will take a few hours to fix all the affected accounts. 
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

Teana - I received an note from that team that your SMS should be fixed now.  Can you please test. 
Photo of Teana Yap

Teana Yap

Thanks for your help and hard work Kim.
Photo of Teana Yap

Teana Yap

Main Pink stay on this forum. This really helped and the issue has been getting resolved much quicker through here.
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

Great! Glad to hear Teana that the issue has been resolved. Happy to help speed things along! :-) 

Kim 
Photo of Justin Harper

Justin Harper

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Cannot Receive SMS Text Messages.

We use SMS texting to communicate with our clients, and while we can send outgoing messages (and have tested to know that those messages are truly being sent), we cannot receive responses. This is a huge issue for our practice since we rely so heavily on SMS text messaging. We use iPhones (on a variety of carriers) and the Mac Desktop app, and neither is receiving inbound texts. Has anyone else experienced this problem, and does anyone know how to fix it?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.