How do we change the outgoing caller ID on all phones to a number that is currently assigned to one extension?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: Caller ID: How do I change the Outbound Caller ID on individual extensions?

How do we change the outgoing caller ID on all phones to a number that is currently assigned to one extension? We are willing to change our "Main Number", but don't know how to do that. Thanks!
Photo of Jon Wright

Jon Wright

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Desiree

Desiree, Alum

• 7,250 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Jon,

Good question!

So you can update the outbound Caller ID per phone to whatever you wish:

http://success.ringcentral.com/knowledge/TOCArticleRendererPkb.apexp?id=kA280000000Gr56&popup=false&...

But looks like you need to do it phone per phone.

Are you asking for a quicker way to do this where you can set you set all phones to the same Caller ID? Or, is this enough?

Thanks!

Desiree
Photo of Jon Wright

Jon Wright

On a per phone basis, you can pick the main line, or the direct line. Right?

The number I want to use is neither.

Therefore, I need to "Change the Main Line"

Right? If yes, how do I do that?
Photo of Desiree

Desiree, Alum

Photo of Jon Wright

Jon Wright

Desiree,

Both of your links have taken me right to the "Getting Started" topic. I think you're trying to link me to something specific, but it's not working. You can email a PDF to tech@indygb.com if that's easier. Thanks again.
Photo of Desiree

Desiree, Alum

Photo of Desiree

Desiree, Alum

Hi Jon,

There hasn't been a reply on this thread in a while so I'm setting this to "Answered".

If this is not answered, please let me know right away and I'll reopen the topic!

Thanks.

Desiree
Photo of Ted Larsen

Ted Larsen

• 250 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hell Desiree,

I'm not sure you answered the question he was asking, which is the same question I have. How can we add more numbers in the list of numbers we choose in the Pull-down menu for Caller ID? Our company has many more numbers in our account, yet only a few show up to choose from. (Yes, some of thes other numbers are assigned to other extensions). Why are we limited to only a few in the list?

Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,696 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hey Guys, The only options you have on the outbound caller ID information is to

1. Display the company number
2. Display the specific DID of that phone
3. BLOCKED

You could not choose a number that is assigned to a different phone in your account.

The system will not allow that.

So sounds like if you want to have a specific number displayed and it is not your current company number then select a new Number and RC will have to make the change in the account.

Does this make sense?

if not, call me
630-975-1200
Chuck
Certified Ring Central Installer
ckfuscone@yahoo.com
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

Hey Guys, The only options you have on the outbound caller ID information is to

1. Display the company number
2. Display the specific DID of that phone
3. BLOCKED

You could not choose a number that is assigned to a different phone in your account.

The system will not allow that.

So sounds like if you want to have a specific number displayed and it is not your current company number then select a new Number and RC will have to make the change in the account.

Does this make sense?

if not, call me
630-975-1200
Chuck
ckfuscone@yahoo.com
Photo of Ted Larsen

Ted Larsen

Hello Chuck,

This was allowed previous to the upgrade why was this functionality removed? Our extensions that were around pre-upgrade still have their caller ID pointing to the proper numbers we want (Not the the phone or main account phone number). I only noticed we couldn't set this the same when we added a new extension/user today. So our old users are "grandfathered" in as long as we don't change them?

This functionality was critical for us, as we have several different companies under this RingCentral account, all having their own main numbers, which we need caller ID to properly represent the employee of the sub company they are working for. There is absolutely no way around this?
Photo of Ted Larsen

Ted Larsen

Hello Team, I'm bumping this thread again, trying to find a solution to this continuing issue.  Chuck, you stated that you cannot assign a caller ID to a number that is already associated with a different "user" extension.  This is why it does not show up under the list of numbers to select Caller ID.  Only "Company Number", "Blocked", "Main Number" or "Additional Number" are available options.  "Additional Numbers" are only numbers not currently assigned to extensions in the account.    IF the desired functionality isn't available, does RC allow for more than one "Company Number" per RC account?  Can we add additional numbers to be "Company Numbers"? Or is there only one Company Number per RC account allowed? 

Thanks for any feedback. 
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

Hey Ted, Yes you could add as many company numbers as you like to your account  Cost $4.99 per month per number.

Marketing companies do this all the time.

So the the answer is yes.  It can be done

Then the Company numbers will show up in the list for Outbound caller ID

Thanks

Chuck
ckfuscone@yahoo.com
Photo of Ted Larsen

Ted Larsen

Excellent, thanks Chuck!   Out of curiosity, do you know if you can convert an existing number in our account to a "company number"?  Thanks for the follow up!

Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

Yes.  Usually when you go to change a number you will get the option to make that number a company number

So if you have number 847-658-9988 assigned to a phone and you want to make that a company number, do the following

Go to that phone under Phones and Devices.  Click Change number.

Select a NEW number that will be assigned to the phone, then the system will ask you what do you want to do with the number you are changing?

Keep as company number for $4.99 per month extra or delete it

Select keep,  It will charge your card and then move that number to a company number

you will see it under company numbers.

Then you could point that number to the auto receptionist or a direct extension if you like

But now could you select this number as outbound caller ID

Thanks

Chuck
Photo of Ted Larsen

Ted Larsen

Ok, I'm following you, but I believe this is where my issue lies; I understand your instructions which show how to convert an existing number to a company number.  However, I'm specifically looking for a way to have multiple "Main Numbers".    The difference (if I'm understanding this right) is that multiple "users" or "extensions" can select the MAIN NUMBER as their Caller ID, whereas only one user/extension can select any given "company number" as their caller ID. 

For example; if I followed your instructions and moved an existing number to the "Company Numbers" Section, by default, it shows "Auto-Receptionist" being assigned to that number.  If left as "Auto-Receptionist", multiple users can select this number as their Caller ID.  HOWEVER,  If I assign that number to an extension at this point, No Other User then has the ability to use that same number as their caller ID.   I need a way to have multiple users have the same number (that's already assigned to an existing extension) as their Caller ID.  

The "Main Number" always shows up as an available option in Caller ID of every user in the system.  Multiple users can select the Main Number as their caller ID.   This is what I'm looking for, but with other numbers in our account.  Not just having ONE user select that company number as their caller ID, but multiple. 

Is it possible to have more than one Main Number per RC account?

P.S. I apologize for saying "Company Numbers" in my first response to the thread; I meant multiple "Main Numbers".  #fail

(Edited)
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

If you are just going to point a company number to an extension then I dont understand why it needs to be a company number.

The whole point is so that the caller ID is consistent and people call back the company and get main greetings ETC...

I guess I am not understanding your main goal here

Chuck
Photo of Ted Larsen

Ted Larsen

:)  Yes, I have a very atypical setup which I'm sure is why this is a bit confusing. 

We have multiple "companies" that use this one RC account for their Phone System. We are all under the same building, share the same space, but are very separate businesses, owned by a parent company.  

They way we have these companies' phone routing separated out for receptionist purposes is by using separate Extensions/Users assigned to the "businesses' main phone number" which handles call routing to the different departments inside these sub-companies.    All of these start-up companies are "owned" by a top-level company, which the RC account is setup under and is managed/paid for.

Since one RC account only allows for one auto-receptionist to handle the initial call to the Main Number, (which is being used by the parent company in this case) yet each company needed this kind of functionality specific to their own company (initial message, company directory instructions, etc.) we created user accounts/extensions with this behavior to handle call flow and assigned them to each of the companies main numbers (which are just extra numbers under the Main RC account).  

This system works fine, and functions properly as is desired.  The one area it is limiting is in the Caller ID area.   Each sub-company has a number in the main RC account that is their main business number.   It's that number that we want each employee in the system (that work for that sub-company) to use as their caller ID.   The problem is, users can only select the Main Number (which is assigned to the parent company, not their individual company) as their Caller ID, or their direct phone number (or as discussed, other additional numbers not assigned to extensions).    

This isn't a game stopper by any stretch, however there has been a request to make all sub company "employees" phones reflect the sub-company's number as their outgoing caller ID.     That's what I'm looking to accomplish. 

let me know if you need additional clarification.  I know this is very atypical setup.

Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

Hi Ted, I think the Multilevel IVR may solve this problem for you.  It is available in the Premium and Enterprise versions of Ring Central Office.

I was unaware that when a company number was assigned directly to an extension it was removed from the outbound caller ID list.

I guess I never tried or had the need for this.

So sounds like the core of the issue is that you need an autoattendent for each company and separate company numbers to match.

I think the multilevel IVR will give you what you need

Thanks

Chuck
Photo of Ted Larsen

Ted Larsen

Excellent, thanks for the insight.  I will look into this multilevel IVR further.   

Ted
Photo of Ted Larsen

Ted Larsen

Hi Chuck, quick question for you.   I believe you are correct, Multilevel IVR may be a solution for us, although it's not designed exactly for our situation (as I'm watching this demo video) but it may work for us.   If you have a moment to view this demo from RC (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkEIeYbj-RU) I believe what we are looking for can be done using the MultiLocation IVR example (which starts at 5:13 of the video).  We would want to create our company specific IVR (which would translate to a "location" in the video demo) and then assign the current "main company number" for that company to the IVR.  In the demo, I believe this would be done at point 6:20 of the video; but the demo shows the user purchasing a direct number to use.  My question is this:   Can we use an existing company number to assign to the IVR?   The video doesn't seem to show this as an option, only purchasing a new number.  Can we use existing ones?  

If so, I think we are in business with the IVR, should we choose to go that route.  

Thanks again for the feedback! 
Photo of Joe Satori

Joe Satori

• 176 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Ted...your situation is not all that atypical.  I use RC in the same way.
Photo of UC

UC

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Agree with Ted and Joe, not an atypical issue. 
AND, we used to have this functionality.
One other reason this capability is needed is if the "assigned phone" is busy and we want to call out to another customer, and display the "assigned" phone number, we are no longer able to do this. 
We cannot assign our phone number to more than one "phone".
This is an issue.
Photo of Joe Satori

Joe Satori

• 176 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Another aspect to this would be the ability to set the outgoing caller ID when doing business SMS from the mobile app.  I have different call queues for "sales", "support", "vip customer".  Some customers get a dedicated queue and phone number just for them.  They text that number, which is great I can receive their text...but I cannot text them back from the call queue number which they associate with me, which frustrates both them and me.

I have logged an Idea about this on the community but it hasn't gotten much traction.  Perhaps if folks voted for it we could get some attention.

https://getsatisfaction.com/ringcentral/topics/set-call-queue-phone-number-as-caller-id-on-mobile-ap...

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.