Google Contacts: Chrome Extension integrate with Gmail Contacts

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: Add ability to synchronize your contacts with your Googlemail contacts list

I love the Chrome extension and integration with Gmail, except the contacts integration fails more often than not.  When I want to call a contact, I click the Contacts button, then type in a name. The contact usually appears, but when I click it, it says "contact not found."  Am I doing something wrong?
Photo of Craig Daniel

Craig Daniel

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 94,790 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Craig,  I'm not sure if I'm following you completely, but after you click the Contacts link and you are viewing your contacts,all you need to do is scroll down and find the person you wish to call, and click on the number (in the 3rd column)  you want to dial. 

Mike 
Photo of Craig Daniel

Craig Daniel

Thanks, Mike.  When I click the contacts link, I get a search bar. I type the name of the contact I want, and either (1) the name does not come up even though it is in my Google contacts, or (2) the name and number come up, but when I click them, it says "Contact Not Found."  Alternatively, when I click the + in the Dialer, I get a list of contacts that includes some, but not all of my Google contacts.  Does that help?
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

It sounds like something is wrong with the gmail if the contacts are not found when you search. What happens if you just skip the search tool, and scroll down and click the phone number?
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Also, I don't believe it will work the way you are describing. If you type and search for a name, then click that persons name, it takes you to a different page. If you click the phone number from that page I believe it calls out with the Google talk/hangout feature. Basically, if you see the RingCentral logo next to the number, you should just be able to click on it. 

Mike
Photo of Craig Daniel

Craig Daniel

Thanks. To answer your first question, I don't get any contacts when I click the contacts button. I get only a search bar.  I've attached a screenshot.  If I type a name, it usually comes up (2d screenshot),but then I get "Contact not found" (3d screenshot).

Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Sorry, I'm referring to the Contacts link in Google. Look in the top left corner of the page when you are logged into your gmail. 

Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

After you click "Contacts" the page will display all of your Google contacts and their phone numbers, you'll just click the phone number and it will copy over to the phone. 
Photo of Craig Daniel

Craig Daniel

Now I see the confusion.  So if I understand correctly, I need to use Google's contacts to ring out.  
The problems with using Google's contacts are: (1) I can't search for a contact (I have 843 contacts) and still use RC because the search result appears in a format that does not have a RC logo next to the number.  (2)  I can't choose among different numbers for a given contact, such as mobile or office.  
What is the purpose of the contacts search within the RingCentral extension? Is it not possible to search and call my Google contacts through the RC extension? 
Thanks for your help on this.
(Edited)
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Yes, you have to click on the numbers that have the RC logo.  I can see how this is an issue for you if you have over 800 contacts and some have multiple numbers.  About the only thing you can do is copy and past the number you wish to dial into the softphone.  Sorry it doesn't work the way you need it to at this time, but it's our first release and it's only been out a few weeks. We are getting a lot of feedback  on other features that users would like to see so I'm sure our product team will be releasing more features at a later date. Unfortunately there might be some things that are not possible or that Google may not allow, so I can't make any promises. 
Photo of Craig Daniel

Craig Daniel

Got it.  Thanks for all the responses, Mike. I really like the extension, but I don't think the claim that you can "Search Google and RingCentral Contacts to call or SMS easily" is correct.  I can search Google contacts in Google, then copy and paste them into RingCentral, but I can't do everything in one place.  Good luck with future versions--it's a great start.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

You're welcome, and we appreciate your feed back.  I think it's a good start but I agree that it has a little way to go for some business applications. 
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 37,870 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Craig,

When I first implemented the RC extension in Chrome it didn't show any Google contacts. It did show me a button which stated I had to authorize RingCentral to access my Google contacts. As soon as I clicked on that button and authorized it, both my Google contacts AND my RC contacts show up. I then have to simply click on the correct number then click on either the phone icon or the SMS icon.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Thanks for helping out Jan!

Craig, below is the box Jan is referring to. If you click the Authorize button and don't see anything happen, take a look at the top of your browser. Sometimes you'll get a warning that you have to accept.   But then after you authorize it, you can use the search field in the app to search for your contacts.  

(Edited)
Photo of Roderick Bley

Roderick Bley

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Have there been an updates to this?

Currently have over 2500 contacts in Google where most have multiple numbers of which the copy/paste to softphone functionality is impractical.

Using the Google Phone Type (work, main, mobile) would be a good place to start
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Sorry Roderick, there have not been any updates or new releases at this time. 
Photo of Roderick Bley

Roderick Bley

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Considering that Google is such large part of many business workflows it is sad that this has not been addressed yet...
Photo of Jason Maklary

Jason Maklary

• 424 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I am having the same type issue.  Only some of my contacts show up in the google app.  
Photo of Jason Maklary

Jason Maklary

I am having the same type issue.  Only some of my contacts show up in the google app.  
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Are you clicking the "Contacts" link?  See my post above dated March 26th. 
Photo of Jason Maklary

Jason Maklary

Hi Mike, Yes.  I also have a case open that I sent in screenshots.  Case # 03889094  
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Ok. thanks for the follow-up. That is the best thing to do, in case they need to escalate it further. 
Photo of CHRIS BARBER

CHRIS BARBER

• 50 Points
Same issue - many contacts are not showing up in the Chrome extension
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Hi Chris,  If you are still having this issue, please open a support case and include the account info plus screenshots. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.