Deskphones: Add Cisco 8851 as a supported model

• Idea
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • (Edited)
Has anyone been able to get the Cisco 8851 or 8800 series working with RC?

I am looking at the 8851 for a receptionist set with the optional expansion module

Any input would be appreciated

Thanks

grw
Photo of grw

grw

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

• 19,550 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I would recommend Polycom VVX with expansion. They are well supported by RingCentral. You might get an 8851 to work, but I suspect it might end up a waste of time. There is an ongoing thread about unsupported 3rd party devices you can search for too.
Photo of HOLCOMBE

HOLCOMBE

• 136 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
that wasnt the question.   He asked if the Cisco 8851 is supported.  I didnt see where he asked about Polycom.    These type of irrelevant answers just screw up this forum question and make it difficult to find answers.   Please reserve your answers for something on topic.
Photo of RodneyD

RodneyD

• 936 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Yes it would be nice to see Ring Central be able to use the 8800 series Cisco phones. I work at a location with 900 users we currently have 8841,8851 sets and are considering moving all users to Ring Central but the cost to swap the phones may just be too much to make us re-consider that thought.
Photo of RandyS

RandyS

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
One of the factors that tipped us towards RingCentral was the ability to use many of our existing phones for the service.  We were lucky that we happened to have some of the Cisco SPA models, all supported by RingCentral.   Clearly it would benefit RingCentral marketing to offer wider support of Cisco phones.  I found that some competing phone service vendors require purchase of their specific models, even sometimes the same SPA models we had, but the competitors refused to support our existing stock.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 91,080 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
gw,  I'll change this to a feature request to see how much interest there is from other users who would also like to have this phone supported.  

You are welcome to repost on the following thread as it might find someone who is using, or at least tried this model. 
Help with Unsupported or 3rd party equipment.
Photo of HOLCOMBE

HOLCOMBE

Please support the Cisco 8841/885 VOIP phones.   I havent see that RingCentral is doing anything to support new Cisco phones.   It's the same list of phones that has been listed for years.  I don't expect RingCentral to support every type of VOIP phones, but you should do something to keep up with the main phone providers that you do support.   Nothing can be more bread and butter than Cisco phones.    It's so frustrating that we're still stuck with using phones that are over 4-5 years old.
Photo of Deshazo

Deshazo

• 60 Points
RingCentral doesnt give a damn about adding new phones.  They are just sucking the life out of the old phones they do support.  I dont even get responses from RingCentral when I ask about new phone support.   They just ignore it.  There are so many new types of phones, and new Cisco models but none are supported.  I'm not suggesting that RingCentral support every phone (not practical), but they can keep up to date on more popular models from Cisco. 
Photo of awesomebase

awesomebase

• 60 Points
I too would like to see the RingCentral Platform on this model phone. There are many benefits to being able to use newer phones.
Photo of Brandon

Brandon

FULL Cisco product support would be amazing to have with auto provisioning! I've tried the best Polycom phone and it is worthless compared to the Cisco 8800 series ip phones --especially when it comes to call and voice quality.

I have the 8851 working. It takes a lot of setup and you don't get some features. You first have to buy the right 8800 series model. You need to make sure your model says 3PCC (third party control center).

If you don't have that model you CANNOT downgrade to a 3PCC firmware from enterprise. Cisco made it to where you can't do it. Although you can upgrade from 3PCC to enterprise firmware which is dumb...
Photo of HOLCOMBE

HOLCOMBE

RingCentral needs to support the Cisco 8800 series phones.   I"m tired of asking.   Please give us a response!!
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 90,988 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Sorry but we don't have any ETA for this if, or when it might be supported.  The best thing to do on a thread like this  is include a good use case scenario with features and benefits explaining how it will help you business. 

Mike
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

I am curious if anyone knows of any other provider like RingCentral that even supports these phones?

Cisco's model has never been wide third-party support, but mainly about Cisco "lock in".  The SPA phones were unique a bit since they were really Linksys phones from that acquisition. The 7900 series was always ridiculous to get working on non-Cisco.

Polycom's entire business model, on the other hand, is to be supported by everyone and everything.

I guess I just want to point out that it may be a little misguided to be pointing the finger at RingCentral about this.
Photo of HOLCOMBE

HOLCOMBE

Thanks for the information Brandon.  It would be nice if RingCentral could explain that rather than remain silent.   Cisco phones have a SIP capability in addition to their SCMP function.   Since the SIP is generic and can be managed by other systems, it seems like it should be easy to control it.   I would appreciate an explanation from Ring Central.
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

It is true that Cisco finally gave into industry and customer pressures to support SIP late in the game, but still to this day if you look at a feature matrix for their phones with SCCP "skinny" vs. SIP firmware you will see the SIP loads only support a fraction of the features that the SCCP loads do.  Having some experience in the industry for the last 30 years I just feel like Cisco never wanted to go "all in" on the SIP standard and as much as they did was with reluctance.

Anyhow, the more you know.. ;)
Photo of Brandon

Brandon

If RingCentral started supporting more Cisco phones I think more companies would switch to the service. Companies don't want rebuy tons of phones just to use a service like RingCentral.

For example, there's a service that is like RingCentral called Mitel that we thought about using. The problem is you must use their phones only and companies aren't willing to switch from reliable Cisco phones to use Mitel phones --don't forget  about the cost also. I also bet you can't use them on a different provider, thus they're also provider locked, but I digress.

I personally can't stand these Polycom phones and if I wasn't able to use my Cisco phones I wouldn't use this service.

Also I was able to configure my Cisco 8851 by buying the 3PCC version and using the configuration utility to work with RingCentral. Now RingCentral already has support for some Cisco phones and they both have similar configuration utility interfaces so why can't RingCentral auto provision the Cisco 8800 series phones and thus officially support 3PCC versions?

The only feature I haven't been able to get work is the corporate directory because RingCentral doesn't have an LDAP configurable (to us anyway) server. On my Polycom this feature was available because they use LDAPS at ldaps://cd.ringcentral.com and using a certificate to authenticate. The problem is that they don't have any information on setting it up yourself. The only way I was able to find out was by looking at my Polycom settings that was provisioned by RingCentral. If they allowed/told users how to configure it, etc. I'm sure it would work.
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

If RingCentral started supporting more Cisco phones I think more companies would switch to the service. Companies don't want rebuy tons of phones just to use a service like RingCentral. 
That is a good business case.  Who knows?  They may be considering it already and working on it.

I did a little research and found that some (but not all) of the largest VoIP providers are supporting at least a few of the Cisco 8800 series so I suppose it may be on RingCentral's radar by now.  It also looks like Cisco may be charging a premium for the 3PCC versions.  Did you find that to be the case?
Photo of Brandon

Brandon

Yes it seems that providers charge more for 3PCC versions. If you have existing Cisco phones, depending on your Cisco provider, they might offer a buy back or swap program to make the cost of switching over less --but again that depends on your provider.

I believe the main reason for Cisco releasing the 3PCC versions is for VOIP companies to buy, pre-provision, and sell the IP phones to their consumers like RingCentral already does for some Cisco phones.

It would be nice to see RingCentral provide high-end/more recent phones than they currently do (at least for Cisco).

I haven't tried Grandstream or Yealink, and it seems they don't have a "Cisco lock" type thing. I wonder why RingCentral doesn't support those IP phones for people that don't like Polycom?

On a side note, I really hate that even though Polycom is fully supported by RingCentral there is NO way currently to import or sync contacts. The corporate search feature works, but you can't import or sync business/personal contacts.

I contacted Polycom about this and their excuse was, "Our customers (big corporations) don't need this feature as they use LDAP". Which is funny because I see Cisco phones everywhere (I assume the #1 IP phone provider of big corporations) and they allow you to import/upload contacts. I've never even heard of Polycom until I started looking for cloud VOIP PBX solutions.
Just FYI, 

The Cisco 8861 has been added to the line of devices for RingCentral, FINALLY!  I, just got my phone yesterday, and so far so good.  The only thing is that they are restricting the setting on the device, for example, no wallpapers, just the one they loaded them selfs.