Deskphone: Displaying incorrect name

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Hi! I'm having this weird problem where I changed the name of the user but it's still displaying the old user's name. I have tried rebooting it and still no improvement.

Is this a common issue? Thank you!
Photo of Hoopdy

Hoopdy

• 540 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
  • unsure

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Danno

Danno, Champion

• 26,484 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
You need to change the name of the phone. Here's a screen print for ya:
Go to the settings for user in question and click on PHONES & NUMBERS.

(Edited)
Photo of Hoopdy

Hoopdy

By via the portal, do you mean the reboot after changing the name? If it is, then yes. I tried via the portal, by the setup key and by unplugging it.

Yes, it is!
Photo of Hoopdy

Hoopdy

Update:

I tried changing the name again but it did not reboot by itself. I tried rebooting it via the setup key instead.
Photo of Danno

Danno, Champion

Then you get a Gold Star - because you are doing everything right.  I changed the name on my phone (to test) and it took just fine.  Sounds like you need to open a ticket.  My suggestion is to wait until tomorrow and see if it took before calling tech support - unless you love talking with them. 
Photo of Hoopdy

Hoopdy

Yay! Gold star! Will follow your advice and call tomorrow. Thank you very much!
Photo of Danno

Danno, Champion

Photo of Danno

Danno, Champion

This screen will appear - Enter new name in the Phone Nickname field.  Still have to reboot after you Make these changes.

(Edited)
Photo of Maar

Maar

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This is a chronic problem with our phones.  When I call RC they can't resolve it, however, one time when I called Jessa resolved it for me over the phone.  Unfortunately there are no notes in our profile for how to do this again.  We have Polycom VVX601 phones, and our phone runs on a different cable account than our computer internet.  Any thoughts?
Photo of Saadet - Community Support

Saadet - Community Support, Official Rep

• 38,106 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Maar,

When a phone is properly provisioned to the User's extension it should display the correct name. However, I've seen it where this name gets stuck because someone logged into the Web GUI of the phone itself and changed it.

Our Support Team can do a screen share with you and log into the phone's GUI and update this setting for you as long as the computer you are logging into the GUI from is on the same network/subnet as the phone. 

Also, since this is a chronic issue, it could be Network Related so I would suggest making sure the network your phones are on is set up properly.