Cisco SPA303 phones dropping registration after migrating from Office@Hand to Ringcentral

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Answered
Hi community, I'm hoping I can get somewhere here as I've been unable to work through this with tier 1 & 2 support. My company migrated from Office@Hand to Ringcentral a week ago, and almost immediately after the account was moved all of our Cisco SPA303 phones, purchased through Office@Hand/Ringcentral have started to drop their registration. We've made every single requested change to our Palo Alto systems in 3 locations, and looking at the IP of each phone we can't find a single denied, blocked or dropped entry from any of them to any outside IP. Yet, each affected phone will drop registration for 30-40 minutes and then come back online. It seems to randomly happen through the entire list of phones and never quits. This only began after the account was migrated to Ringcentral, it never happened before and does not happen on another companies account I manage that has yet to migrate.

On an existing phone, both offline and online we see traffic from it to 104.245.57.131 on port 5090.

On a phone deployed post migration we see traffic from it to 199.255.120.146 on port 5090 and that phone never goes offline.

Any ideas where else I can look?
Photo of Bryan G

Bryan G

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Justin

Justin, Employee

• 1,250 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hello Bryan,
We have seen this sort of behavior in this scenario for O@H accounts where the ISP has SIP ALG enabled on their modem and/or backbone network. I would verify that SIP ALG is not enabled on any network path equipment including the ISP's equipment as well as the local LAN equipment. If that does not resolve the problem, please open a support case to check the SIP protocol in use on the account (TCP or TLS). If set to TCP, we can try setting it to TLS to see if that clears it.

Hope this helps,
Justin Rampy
(Edited)
Photo of Bryan G

Bryan G

Hi Justin,

We've made sure ALG is disabled, we had that issue when we first contracted with Office@Hand. I'm running out of ideas. We enabled sys logs on a phone and sent them to support, and 1 log in particular shows an endless stream of debug messages when a call is received or transferred and then the constant registering. Alas support felt none of it was relevant and wanted to delete and provision all of the phones again. Manually. After doing all that, they still just revert to the same behavior. "Network Error" on the display, the lights can be green or orange when it happens and then the device resets once it can register again. At least this time we see traffic going to the expected IP address. I've brought up TCP vs. TLS twice now in my support case and it hasn't been acknowledge, now I'm asked to factory reset phones with a pin code I don't know just so I can start deleting and provisioning them again. They seem to provision just fine, they just don't stay connected.

Thanks,
Bryan
Photo of Saadet - Community Support

Saadet - Community Support, Official Rep

• 43,480 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hey Bryan, your case has been escalated to our Tier 3 Support Team. Hopefully they'll be able to figure out what's going on!
Photo of Jim Strain

Jim Strain

• 296 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
were all of the phones factory reset before they were setup for R C
Photo of Bryan G

Bryan G

To close this out, turns out we didn’t have SIP ALG disabled as we thought within our firewalls. SIP-TCP as provisioned by Ring Central, even after a factory reset, wont work with ALG turned on. SIP-TLS was fine with or without ALG provisioned by Ring Central or Office@Hand from another account on the same network. Within seconds of disabling it all of the TCP devices worked perfect. It’s been brought up with the transition teams that RC should address this in the network guide for customers coming over from Office@Hand in the future.
Photo of Saadet - Community Support

Saadet - Community Support, Official Rep

• 36,886 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the update, Bryan!