Cisco spa525g phones dropping registration to Ring Central.

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Curious if anyone else has had this issue, we have Cisco spa525g phones and we have been experiencing the phone losing registration from Ring Central multiple times a day. This is happening to quite a few users at multiple different locations. It doesn't seem to have any reason to it, nothing else drops other phones at the same locations don't go down. It will even happen mid call. I have worked with Ring Central support to no avail, has anyone else out there experienced anything like this?
Photo of Shane Litwiler 301

Shane Litwiler 301

• 230 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

• 18,532 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Have you been able to determine if it happens after a call has been in progress a certain length of time?  Maybe a SIP timer the SPA phones use needs to be changed to match something changed on the RC side.  I assume they worked fine for some period of time before this started happening?  Any changes on your network that could correlate?

Shane Litwiler 301

Hey Brandon thanks for your reply! I haven't been able to narrow down any length of time when it happens during calls, sometimes it will happen after dialing, but before the call is ever answered, sometimes it happens mid call and other times it happens while the phone is sitting idle.  The complaints from my people started about a year ago, and i was told RC had made some changes on their end (nothing has changed on our end). they sent me the updated config for our Sonicwall appliances that we run at each location.  Changing the config didn't do anything to cure the issue.
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

And to be clear, you only have Cisco SPA phones?  Do you have other phones that work fine?

You might want to carefully review this document that RC keeps up to date to see if there are any further adjustments you might want to make on your network.  I am not sure how locked down your Sonicwall is, but certainly if you are doing IDS/IPS you might want to find a way to exclude to voice traffic/VLAN and also consider if you are blocking any outbound traffic at all you need to make sure you allow the rehired stuff for RC in the doc.

Do you have a way to rule out the Sonicwalls?  Like bypass one or take a phone home for a few days, etc?  It might be good to first determine with some certainty if the issue is firewall side or RC/desk phone side.

Shane Litwiler 301

I do have users that work from home regularly and they have the same issues, which to me pretty much eliminates our network or anything on it. However RC didn't seem to agree.  They said the issues at home were more than likely due to either the modem or Router config. I have not gone to anyone's house to reconfigure their equipment up to RC code however. Thus I have to believe it's a setting on the phone itself, but i'm also not overly familiar with these phone setups so I'm just blindly changing settings hoping to see a change.
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 26,326 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Are you connected via a network cable or WIFI?  I have many of these 525 phones in play with no issues.

Also have the phones been upgraded to the latest OS?   This should happen automatically and last did you get the phones from RC or are they third party?

Shane Litwiler 301

they are connected via network cable. And yes we have upgraded, and downgraded firmware. And they were purchased from RC.
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

I don't think I have much more to offer, but since it has been an issue for so long maybe you would consider investing in a single Polycom purchased from RC to see how it performs.  I think at the least it would settle once and for all if the issue is with the phones specifically or not.  Did you purchase the SPA phones from RC, by the way?

Shane Litwiler 301

I think i have some old Polycom's around I'll dig one out and plug it in. And yes they were purchased from RC.

Shane Litwiler 301

Another thing I failed to mention is this started shortly after we added the Incontact platform. We are no longer using incontact and not sure if it would have had anything to do with it at all, but we did have some funky issues arise because of the incontact setup.