Has anyone been able to configure a Cisco SPA500DS?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: Help with Unsupported or 3rd party equipment.

Has anyone been able to configure a SPA500DS? RingCentral has been telling us for over a year that they are working on making this an "approved" device. Very frustrated.
Photo of Bill Mlynarick

Bill Mlynarick

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,716 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Bill, what happens when you connect the 500 DS? Is it not recognized in the RC system when you tell the phone that there is a add on module?

Some things are not officially approved but still work.

Could you share what is not working so we could dig a little more.

Thanks

Chuck
Certified Ring Central Installer
ckfuscone@yahoo.com
Photo of Bill Mlynarick

Bill Mlynarick

• 60 Points
It can be attached and configured but after period of time RC does some type of reboot and wipes everything from the DS so you are back at square one. Cisco releases the SP500DS approximately 12 month ago and RS has made no progress on supporting it. Our request was "escalated" to tier three support months ago and despite being told that numerous other people have the same problem/request nothing has happened.

Any help or work around d would be greatly appreciated.
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

Morning Bill,. contact me directly. I could share my experience with this phone and how I was able to trouble shoot around the issues

ckfuscone@yahoo.com

Chuck

Photo of e h

e h

• 136 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
So this is Still an open issue, and this thread has been open for 3 months now.

While I have gotten the SPA500DS to work in some situations (by doing firmware updates on my SPA525G2's, etc), I am in a situation where enabling the SPA500DS does give me the ability to see all my lines with their status, however in doing to it eliminates any ability to use the (expected to be pre-programmed) custom buttons either on the phone itself or on the 500DS (the buttons start to ring back to which phone they are attached to).

This cannot be all that complex for a premium unit that has been on the market for a year now. What is the ETA for this unit to be fully supported?

Thanks,
Ed
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

Ed, contact me directly and I could explain what you need to do

ckfuscone@yahoo.com

Chuck
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

Ed, contact me directly and I could explain what you need to do

ckfuscone@yahoo.com

Chuck
Photo of Ben Foster

Ben Foster, Alum

• 6,124 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Thanks, Chuck. To my knowledge, we have no immediate plans to support this particular model of phone. However, we do have many other Cisco and Polycom phones available pre-provisioned on our website. Sorry for any inconvenience!
Photo of e h

e h

Bill,

I have finally gotten an answer on this that is actually useful (unlike the prior "answers" on this thread which ranged from un-helpful to apparently incorrect).

=> Per my Sales Rep, I moved my SPA525G2's to the 7.5.2a firmware version, and the presence and direct dial now seem to work properly and fully with my SPA500DS (sidecar) units (cannot speak to whatever Ben means by supported, as I only care that they do this for me, so could be other uses I am not concerned with).

Were you able to get your solution working or did you give up/find an alternate?

Re: Other Responses

Chuck, don't know what your game is, but I don't care for it. Please don't post anything back to me unless you post useful info here publicly, Not a request for me to call you...I don't care to spend my time that way, nor do I appreciate you Not answering the very specific and direct question that I actually asked, instead opting for what looks like a cheesy attempt to solicit business, which is likely a violation of the T's & C's of this forum anyway.

Ben, the SPA500DS is a "sidecar", not a phone (as you seem to refer to it as above), and I have been asking for an answer for this for months now (via various phone calls to various people internally, similar to Bill's story above). You might want to do your homework and perhaps ask a few clarifing questions before telling a customer "no", especially in public, and especially when that's not even the case.

And Ben I get you want to help and applaud you making the effort, however "helping" without adequate knowledge can often be counter-productive, and perhaps even detrimental, as I was on the verge of switching vendors. Please spend a bit more time asking questions, both here and internally, as you represent as "official" here, which means your answers are expected to be fully researched and formed (and if they are not that, you really ought to mention that what you are expressing is an opinion and Not the official Ring Central position).

Best,
Ed
Photo of e h

e h

Bill,

I have finally gotten an answer on this that is actually useful (unlike the prior "answers" on this thread which ranged from un-helpful to apparently incorrect).

=> Per my Sales Rep, I moved my SPA525G2's to the 7.5.2a firmware version, and the presence and direct dial now seem to work properly and fully with my SPA500DS (sidecar) units (cannot speak to whatever Ben means by supported, as I only care that they do this for me, so could be other uses I am not concerned with).

Were you able to get your solution working or did you give up/find an alternate?

Re: Other Responses

Chuck, don't know what your game is, but I don't care for it. Please don't post anything back to me unless you post useful info here publicly, Not a request for me to call you...I don't care to spend my time that way, nor do I appreciate you Not answering the very specific and direct question that I actually asked, instead opting for what looks like a cheesy attempt to solicit business, which is likely a violation of the T's & C's of this forum anyway.

Ben, the SPA500DS is a "sidecar", not a phone (as you seem to refer to it as above), and I have been asking for an answer for this for months now (via various phone calls to various people internally, similar to Bill's story above). You might want to do your homework and perhaps ask a few clarifing questions before telling a customer "no", especially in public, and especially when that's not even the case.

And Ben I get you want to help and applaud you making the effort, however "helping" without adequate knowledge can often be counter-productive, and perhaps even detrimental, as I was on the verge of switching vendors. Please spend a bit more time asking questions, both here and internally, as you represent as "official" here, which means your answers are expected to be fully researched and formed (and if they are not that, you really ought to mention that what you are expressing is an opinion and Not the official Ring Central position).

Best,
Ed
Photo of Michael S

Michael S

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
i can confirm that downgrading my SPA525G2 phone to 7.5.2a - fixed Presence function under RC provisioning - Now all working !!

Thanks Ed
Photo of Michael S

Michael S

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks Ed,
I can confirm that downgrading my SPA525G2 phone to 7.5.2a (from latest 7.5.5) - fixed Presence function under RC provisioning - Now all working like described !!

mike
Photo of Danny Start

Danny Start

• 484 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Any updates to whether the SPA500DS is officially supported?
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,938 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Danny,  This is still not an supported device so we don't have one to test. However, there's another thread on the Community which I'll move this conversation to where others discuss 3rd party/unsupported equipment and maybe another user will have an answer for you. 

Help with Unsupported or 3rd party equipment.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.