Click to Call for Desk Phones e.g. Polycom

• Question
  • Updated 11 months ago
  • Answered
I'd like a PC application (not a browser plugin) that sits in the system tray and when it detects a number on the screen, makes it clickable. If clicked, the number can be dialled with a physical deskphone. That's it! This has been around for donkeys years with other systems. Is it available with RC?

Unofficial UK RingCentral Reseller.
Photo of sd

sd

• 188 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 12 months ago

Photo of Taylor

Taylor

• 2,302 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
You're talking about a browser plugin? Or an application that would detect every phone number on the screen?
Photo of sd

sd

As per the original post "I'd like a PC application (not a browser plugin)"
Photo of Jessica - Community Moderator

Jessica - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 9,446 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi sd, 

There's not a desktop app that does that, the closest thing would be the chrome browser extension, which wouldn't do anything for numbers in other non-web applications. 
Photo of sd

sd

Hi Jessica. Please come back and look at this thread. One of your other customers has already done what I am asking for with a custom devleopment. If you did this for all RC clients we'd onboard several more businesses away from site based PBX.
(Edited)
Photo of sd

sd

Yes that's what I thought... to me this would be a killer app for cloud PBX. We support several sites that would migrate to RingCentral if we could replicate their current screen popping app (e.g. Samsung Exchange). Thanks.
(Edited)
Photo of Lee

Lee, Champion

• 3,284 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
sd, what you are talking about is a CRM application. You should check the developer's community. We had the same need and had our developers build it for us. The APIs are there to create what you are looking for. Records pop on screen when someone call in, we can click to dial and text from our app. 
Photo of sd

sd

Many thanks. Yes I did spot the RC developer area but this is a little beyond what we can acheive with skills or funds. This would be a 'killer' app and it's a shame RC can't integrate it for everyone.
Photo of Boardroom One

Boardroom One

• 248 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
You do realize that you can highlight any phone number that appears as text on any webpage (or anywhere else), and then press your F6 function key to automatically dial it with the RC Phone app? 
Photo of sd

sd

I am aware of the RC Phone software however unless I am mistaken this does not integrate in any way, shape or form with the hardware phone on a desk.
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

• 67,790 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey sd, I haven't tried it so don't take my word for it, but on the RC Phone app you can set up RingOut and the softphone can call your hardphone. Again, it's a suggestion that may not work, but thought I'd put it out there!
Photo of sd

sd

Hmm, I'm not sure what you mean and not sure if that does what we want it to, but I''ll check it out, many thanks for posting.