Company Directory: Display on hardphone.

• Idea
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Implemented
  • (Edited)
We are deploying RingCentral right now and I would like to know why the phone doesn't display a company directory. When my team needs to dial somebody in the company they either have to keep a list of the extensions on their desk or try to memorize them. A company directory on the phone seems like it would be a building block for a phone system.
Photo of JW Lodge

JW Lodge

• 512 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,736 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi JW, why not use the presence feature? This way active users are programmed on the phones. With the VVX 500 you have 12 lines total and 10 available for assignment.

Are you aware of this feature?

Chuck
Certified Ring Central Installer
630-975-1200
Photo of JW Lodge

JW Lodge

• 512 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I have done that, however I have more than 10 users. At any given point I have to leave off 3 users. Trying to leave off the ones in which people sit within earshot of them so they will know if they are on the phone or not just from hearing them. But still a directory would be nice if wanting to use the Intercom feature. Again, I guess I'll just print out a list of the extensions and their respective numbers and tape it to the phone.
Photo of Dustin Showers

Dustin Showers, Champion

• 3,220 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
have you used the softphone?
Photo of Rocky Mehta

Rocky Mehta

• 104 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have the same issue, the system does not show company or private directories that are setup on web interface.
Photo of Ben Foster

Ben Foster, Alum

• 6,124 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi all - this is a limitation with the service as of today. Your RingCentral directory can be viewed through the web, our mobile app or our softphone, but not desk phones. You would have to manually upload your contacts to the phone, or as Chuck suggests, use Presence.
Photo of JW Lodge

JW Lodge

• 936 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Ben, can you provide your captive audience with an update yet?
Photo of Ross

Ross

• 2,176 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
PolyCom has stated that they do support this feature but it must come from your side (Directory file is stored on the boot server). PLEASE FIGURE OUT SOME WAY FOR ME TO TRANSFER MY HUNDREDS OF CONTACTS!!!!
Photo of Dustin Showers

Dustin Showers, Champion

adding the ability to see my entire company directory would be outstanding, i have over 50 users (and growing)... "taping a list to my phone" is clearly not an option.  even the ability to upload the directory to each phone from my admin panel via a spreadsheet (or something) would be appreciated?

honestly...  having complete control over WHO shows up in the directory and not just a complete company directory would be the ideal situation, but i don't want to punch each contact in manually, on EACH phone.  that's madness.
(Edited)
Photo of Dustin Showers

Dustin Showers, Champion

i have over 150 users now, and would still love this feature!
Photo of Ross

Ross

Dustin, I was going to reply to one of your comments from yesterday on a board that I won't mention here, which has been removed for "inactivity". I like your work around for creating personal contacts under company contacts, but how to you get those to show up on your desk phones? Are you entering them manually or is that what you're using "presence" for?
Photo of Dustin Showers

Dustin Showers, Champion

we just use presence for them, yep
Photo of Ross

Ross

So are you limited to a specific number of these virtual contacts that can be displayed on a given phone? Can you search these contacts (only makes sense if you can put very many as I hope to do)? Even if you can't search them, if you can put very many on a phone I expect it will identify them for incoming calls instead of just displaying their number.
Photo of Dustin Showers

Dustin Showers, Champion

not sure i know what you mean?  the vvx-410 supports up to 10 other contacts (quick-dial)...  so, you can have 10?  i use the softphone too though, so i put the most used contacts on the devices that dont require actually using presence as intended, and the rest are accessed via the softphone.
Photo of Ross

Ross

Gotcha, I was hoping I could use your method to make my contact list (hundreds) show up on desk phone. Thanks again.
Photo of Dustin Showers

Dustin Showers, Champion

hundreds, i don't know... but you could get a Polycom VVX Color Expansion Module
Photo of Erik Antoniuk

Erik Antoniuk

• 282 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
The VVX 500 does have this feature but it is disabled. Both Active Directory and the Polycom Desktop Connector are disabled
Photo of Ross

Ross

• 2,166 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
YES PLEASE FIX! also forwarding from the phone is disabled.
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

• 4,214 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
I nearly went with another company because of this, which was available on their service.  On the VVX-500, you could access the entire company directory.  Not so with RC.  I also don't like that updates made to the personal directory on the desktop, web, and smartphone, don't propagate to the desk phones.  Seems to be a gaping hole in the idea of 'unified communications.'
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 94,028 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Everyone, since this question is popping up from time to time, I've changed it to an "idea" topic so that our Product team can track the interest. Click the "Like" button above if you would like your desk phones to display Company directories. 

Mike 
Photo of Justin Smith

Justin Smith

• 400 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Mike any update on this? We use the VX410s and recently switched to Ring Central. We used this feature extensively on our previous phone system.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

No, I'm sorry I don't have any info on this yet.  I'm waiting for updates on this thread as well as many others and I'll update as soon as I hear from our Product Team.
Photo of CBS Help

CBS Help

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Make it happen
Photo of Scot Desort

Scot Desort

• 294 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
RC needs to enable LDAP on the server side. Polycom phones can pull a directory from an LDAP server. LDAP has been around for YEARS. It's not rocket science.
Photo of Blake Borowski

Blake Borowski

• 346 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Any updates on this?
Photo of Ross

Ross

I agree it would be most useful to provide some method of contact syncing between other contact lists (I also use outlook and gmail contacts), but my current biggest concern is that there is no way to import/upload/etc. my contacts other than manually entering my hundreds of contacts to each phone (would take days)!!
PLEASE FIX!!! 
Photo of Blake Borowski

Blake Borowski

I cannot believe that this Polycom VVX500 desktop does not federate with RingCentral company directory or contacts.  That's CRAZY.  This is so elementary.  When is this massive oversight going to be resolved.  RingCentral should have full integration with any RingCentral end-point.
Photo of Joe Tierney

Joe Tierney, Champion

• 414 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Have Contacts available on the phone, duh!.

People have been asking for this for over a year. RingCentral Support suggests I submit the idea. 

Ready for your mind to be blown with this great idea? 

Make RingCentral contacts available in the physical phone's directory! #Boom
Photo of Jason Pharr

Jason Pharr

• 162 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
It's funny that RC stated they are going to track customer interest in this.  I'm sure 99% of their customers would prefer to have this capability.  But only a fraction of their customers bother getting on this site to research it and even less will find this thread.  Many folks just accept the limitation, others move on other services providers.  Trust me most people would want this, even if they don't know they want it.  Everyone in my office complains about this (to me)....I bet I'm the only one who has bothered research this, , register and like this particular thread.
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

• 4,138 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
RingCentral recently added this function to our Polycom phones.  I'm not sure if it was a beta that I signed up for or if it's in production now, but it's there on my phone and I'm guessing will roll out across other user accounts in the not-too-distant future.  At this point it's similar to a dial-by-name directory where you have to give it the first few letters of the name to search against.
Photo of Jason Pharr

Jason Pharr

• 162 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks Bob & Mike.  That is a good thing to have and helps a little with part of the challenge.  I can search that directory with my phone now when I am placing a call.

I can't seem to search the "corporate directory" to forward a call to another user though, I can only search my "Contact Directory" when looking up where to forward a call.  That may be a polycom limitation?  It would solve a lot of problems if there was a way to get my RC contacts from my account or softphone onto my desk phone "Contact Directory"
(Edited)
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,998 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You're welcome Jason!

By "RC contacts" are you referring to the "Personal" contacts?  If so, you are correct, there's a limitation.

Mike 
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Official Response
The following models do support the Company Directory at this time: 

Supported Deskphones:

Polycom IP 321, 335, 550 and 650
Polycom VVX 300, 310, 400, 410 and 500
Polycom Soundstation IP 5000, 6000 and 7000

View:  Corporate Directory for Deskphones Overview
(Edited)
Photo of Blake Borowski

Blake Borowski

Hi Mike,

Does RC sync with Google (GMail Contacts) directory yet?
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Off topic. Moving to new thread.

Please reference the new conversation here: Does RC sync with Google (GMail Contacts) directory yet?
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,854 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Supported Deskphones now have the Company Directory: (see article)

Polycom IP 321, 335, 550 and 650

Polycom VVX 300, 310, 400, 410 and 500

Polycom Soundstation IP 5000, 6000 and 7000
(Edited)
Photo of Denny

Denny

• 66 Points
Our company just installed RC. All desk phones are listed as having this feature (335,310,410). however it does not seem to be implemented or enabled. Huge disappointment.
I have the Polycom VVX 500 (I'm told the best phone RC has) and it does not display the Company directory, you have to know what you are looking for and search for it it to display the contact.  Very ineffective implementation RC. (Thank you for implementing)
Photo of Josh Reynolds

Josh Reynolds

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I thought this was a basic feature of RC.  When I put the phones in place and noticed that the Company Directory was not there for the phones or phones with sidecars I was shocked.  I am extremely disappointed that this isn't resolved.  I would imagine every company would want their company directory available especially for receptionists.  
Photo of Christianson

Christianson

• 86 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
On the polycom VVX 500, there now is a corporate directory, but it is a search. I have also found that it is not a contains/starts with search. For instance, if I have Benjamin, nothing comes up if I search Ben. Our former phones/vendor, loaded the directory and it was possible to scroll through the list. As one person noted above, you have to know what you are searching for in order for it to be effective. A scroll list would be much better. 
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,814 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I just tested this on our VVX 410's and VVX 500's and it worked.  I searched "Ben" > Submit and it pulled up the Benjamin's we have. 
Photo of Alex

Alex

• 286 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Is it possible to configure company directory search against Okta Virtual directory?
Photo of Nathan Malone

Nathan Malone, U.S. Tier 3 Support

• 4,770 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Hello Alex,

Can you clarify the question for me? Are you using Okta with your Active Directory and want to display those Users on the corporate directory?

The corporate directory on the phone pulls the Users information from the RingCentral Users profiles.

Thank you,
Nate Malone
Photo of Alex

Alex

• 286 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
The main issue with the directory on the phone is it always out of sync with Active Directory or in in my case Okta virtual dircetory.
So what that said, I would like to be able to pull Okta directory from hard phones for office and mobile phone numbers. Please submit an FRE if this is presently not available. Thanks,
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Alex, If you'd like to Reply with the following, I'll move the post to create a new feature request. 

To help our Product Team understand your request and assure it gets more consideration, please include the following details in your request: 
  1. Account type  (U.S., Canada, UK,  AT&T, Telus, BT)
  2. A brief description of the business 
  3. A high level description of the product or feature being requested
  4. A typical use case scenario explaining how your business would use the feature
  5. Benefit of such feature
  6. Include any related case number if applicable
Photo of Timothy King

Timothy King

• 172 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Any reason why the directory feature isn't implemented for the Yealink T46S? I use the T46G with a 3CX system in my main office & it supports the system directory, but needed to use RC for a satellite office & I was very disappointed to hear (from RC Tech Support) that neither the directory nor presence features work on the Yealink phones. Are these features in the pipeline for these phones?
(Edited)
Photo of Saadet - Community Moderator

Saadet - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 67,528 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Timothy, I have forked your post to a feature request. One of the reasons may be that this is a newly supported device that we added to our roster but I am unsure.

Please reference the new conversation here: Add Corporate Directory for Yealink Device
Photo of Will Simon

Will Simon

• 1,244 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi Saadet!
The Yealink T46S is listed as a support phone, per RingCentral. In my opinion, if it's listed as officially supported, it should officially support all the same features as the other officially support phones. Or, at least the "main" features, like a corporate directory.