Contacts: Adding Non RingCentral Users to Company Contacts

• Idea
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • Under Consideration
  • (Edited)
How to do I save new contacts as "Company" contacts? Currently all new contacts I create are stored as "Personal" contacts. Is there a way to pick where a new contact gets stored?
Photo of TJ Murray

TJ Murray

• 2,382 Points 2k badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Ted Jaffe

Ted Jaffe, Official Rep

• 2,896 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Hi folks,

I am conducting some customer research on RingCentral contacts, and this ask is a part of it.  If you're interested in answering a few questions and telling me more about your specific use cases for shared company contacts in more detail I would love to hear from you.

Please email theodore.jaffe@ringcentral.com to get in touch..

Looking forward,
Ted
Photo of Doug Smith

Doug Smith

• 274 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
One more for Shared Contacts.
When we signed up for RingCentral we didn't even look if this feature was available.
We assumed is was.
We have about 100 shared names (vendors, etc.) that we would like to administer centrally.
Thanks 
Photo of Jay Nichols

Jay Nichols

• 2,820 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
I believe most of us thought this would be a standard feature, but apparently RingCentral doesn't see it that way.  As you can see by going back and looking at the first posting, this has been going on for a long time.  I doubt if they are even considering it, but we do get lip-service once in a while.  I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this to happen, or even a favorable response. 
Photo of Christopher Thomson

Christopher Thomson

• 230 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
They say they implement popular requests. This one has been requested for 5 years so far
Photo of Christopher Thomson

Christopher Thomson

• 230 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I MA WORKING on a work around. I am thinking about creating a google account. Populating that then, having my users access it. Let you know if works out. I am getting pretty good a coming up with work around solutions, since support isn't in RC vocabulary. 
Photo of Jay Nichols

Jay Nichols

As a project manager, I didn't like workarounds.  If the process they used didn't work, I had them change the process.  Obviously, RC doesn't know what a process is.
Photo of Michael Lupo

Michael Lupo

• 62 Points
If the work around does work. Please share .... this has been extremely frustrating and honesty a mystery why RC doesn’t address.
(Edited)
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,696 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Guys, like I stated above, you have to leverage the Virtual extensions in order to get the speed dials setup and then you could assign to presense keys.  I use a template and RC has a format to upload and enable lots at once.

If you need assistance, contact me

Chuck
Certified RC Consultant
Chuck@yoritguy.com
Photo of Jay Nichols

Jay Nichols

I shouldn't have to "leverage" anything, I'm not looking for speed dials, I just want every extension to have the same directory of incoming calls.  I want to see the patient's name pop up when they call, not a ten digit number.  Right now, the ONLY extension/softphone that does that is my old cell phone with RC "Phone" on it.  I don't know why this is so hard, my Panasonic 4 extension wireless phone in my house can do it.  And I'm SURE it didn't take them FIVE YEARS to figure it out.
Photo of Jay Nichols

Jay Nichols

By the way, I know how to leverage a rock in my garden, I know how to leverage company assets for profit, but I don't know how to leverage a Virtual Extension.  Could you explain that?
Photo of Kevin Hart

Kevin Hart

• 872 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Manually add entries to company directory.

1. Account type: US
  2. A brief description of the business: Logistics/Agriculture
  3. A high level description of the product or feature being requested: Add non-ringcentral names and numbers to shared directory accessible from ringcentral apps and hard phones. Bonus points if this data can be pulled in or synced with Google or Salesforce
  4. A typical use case scenario explaining how your business would use the feature: Our users would benefit from a directory where they could look up customers, vendors or other common numbers from the directory integrated into the app or deskphone instead of having to reference a 3rd party database
  5. Benefit of such feature: save time for users and centralize data updates
  6. Number of Users and/or Digital Lines: 17

Photo of sudoISS

sudoISS

• 86 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Yeah, this one's huge for me, too.

I get that they're trying to get everyone on Glip, but that's just ANOTHER app that we have to get our non-RingCentral people to install and configure and remember the password to... and it's just not necessary when the BEST part of having a RingCentral softphone app on my desktop is just being able to text them!

It'd just be nice to be able to pick from a list of contacts, shared company-wide, that their personal numbers are saved in, because everyone in the company has to contact them from time to time and it's a pretty common activity and every time I have to hit up one of these people that I haven't texted in a minute, I have to go and open up a Google Spreadsheet with their phone numbers on it, copy it, go to RingCentral, and re-paste it to find the conversation... instead of just being able to search a human name.

Honestly, pretty surprised that this was asked for FOUR YEARS AGO and there's been no progress made since - this isn't a hard ask, guys.
Photo of Phil Denton

Phil Denton

• 154 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have a proposal out for 17 phones right now and so far the customer loves the idea of RingCentral.  Unfortunately contact consolidation is one of their top careabouts:

"Another issue for me seems to be the cross up between Google Contacts, Outlook Contacts, and our CRM.  Currently all customers live in the CRM on my phone and I don’t get any caller ID info at all.  In my car I get Google and Outlook but not CRM which I am sure is a related kind of thing but as we stack up things to make this go smooth this will have to be part of it."

I have a sneaking suspicion that I am going to fall on my face when I give the proposal presenation later today.  I ASSumed this feature was available since you have an "open" API but apparently the API is mostly read-only.

What's the hold up?  How hard can it be to create a global contact list?
Photo of Phil Bartlett

Phil Bartlett

• 64 Points
It's really stupid that somethig as simple as a shared global contact list can be so hard to create!  I bought into the whole cloud phone system for a number of reasons, one of which was that it had a shared contact list, however once up and running, it was nowhere to be seen!
Very disapointed that this has been on going for such a long time... 
Photo of Rickkee

Rickkee

• 560 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
You would think they could dream up a kludge, like a "Shared Contacts" drop down.
The give the users the ability to "Copy to Shared Contacts".  We tried some import / export to get everyone on the same page, but the import routine has no ability to check for duplicates.  So.... once a week or so, we export all users contacts into one master spreadsheet, deduplicate, then delete and re-import for each user.  Have it down to a 1/2 hour manual process, but none-the-less, it is sheer drudgery for something that could be handled and automated server side.  Heck, a 15 year old could code it.
Photo of Jay Nichols

Jay Nichols

Plain and simple.  They don't WANT to do it.  No excuses, no appeasement, just plain no.
Photo of sudoISS

sudoISS

• 86 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I don't think they don't want to, but... I mean damn. Four years for this feature? Like, whoa dude, not everybody that a business calls is going to be rolled up into THEIR RingCentral account...

Does make you wonder about management of their development resources, though. Are they short-staffed? My bet is on the classic tech story: they made a pretty cool product, and then got actual users, and then those users started making feature requests, which they dutifully incorporated perhaps too eagerly without taking a step back to look at the big picture, and have since accrued a LOT of technical debt that makes this feature (and probably many others) very difficult to deal with. :P
Photo of Rickkee

Rickkee

• 560 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
What you are missing is the public offering in 2013.  7,500,000 shares at & $13 = $97,000,000.  All that I can see they have done with it is purchase Glip and ramp up sales.  Paid so much for a bad product they HAVE to use it to fulfill a high-up visionary's dream.  Time and money better spent on things people want, like a shared contact list.  Stock is at a 5 year high and as long as the churn rate is lower than the new sales rate, nothing will change.  Like Microsoft and the other tech giants, NOTHING matters but making the stock price go up.  NOTHING.   PS.  I think the CEO may know something about where the stock is going.....  " Ringcentral Inc (RNG) CFO Mitesh Dhruv Sold $706,210 shares 18 hours ago....