Contacts: Adding Non RingCentral Users to Company Contacts

• Idea
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
  • Under Consideration
  • (Edited)
How to do I save new contacts as "Company" contacts? Currently all new contacts I create are stored as "Personal" contacts. Is there a way to pick where a new contact gets stored?
Photo of TJ Murray

TJ Murray

• 2,442 Points 2k badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of TJ Murray

TJ Murray

Let me rephrase the question: how do I create a list of shared contacts that everyone in our company can see & edit?
Photo of alex d

alex d

• 2,488 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
good question, something like shared speed dial.
one list for all users to access. update only once for everybody.
Photo of Shannon Brunston

Shannon Brunston

• 762 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This would be fantastic! Asking all users to create their own from scratch wastes a lot of time. 

As contacts change over time, if I have 10 users who each have to take 5 minuets to interrupt their work, update a contact record with a new number and then go back to what they were doing, I've now wasted 45 minuets of the company's time. 
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,748 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Shannon, we could create Non Ring central users that everyone could see.  I do this all the time.  Speed dials ETC. assign to buttons on phones.

Then once central place to edit.  

All you have to do is create users without phones.  Avoid Ext numbers 801 - 850 these are reserved for the park function.

Otherwise any other numbers will work, 200 300 etc....

Then I create a template that will turn off all the unneeded services like music on hold, greetings VM ETC.

Fill out the name of the contact and put their phone number.

Then when you dial the extension, you are golden.  This works I guarantee it.

Chuck
Certified Ring Central Installer
Chuck@yoritguy.com
Photo of Robert Stoeber

Robert Stoeber, Champion

• 1,908 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Chuck, this is not a solution to the original problem. We have hundreds of contacts that must be shared across our company. It's not possible to create/manage extensions for all of those contacts.
Photo of Christopher Thomson

Christopher Thomson

• 230 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
If you can auto generate a company contact list for all users. The request is simple. A company or Global contact list that allow me to import a Contact list of My companies important contacts, Not just internal extension. Why can it not function like my personal contacts, just global. Seems like this would take less time that you have spent proposing work around solutions.
Photo of Doug Smith

Doug Smith

• 284 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Chuck,
Your suggestion works on some of the numbers that I want to share.
But it does not seem to work on any 800 numbers.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
(Edited)
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

I checked a couple of my customers and there are 800 855 844 numbers in their speed dials.  I do remember having an issue when setting up though.  Try putting the 8XX number in () and see if that helps
Photo of Phil Denton

Phil Denton

• 186 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We need this functionality as well.  For outbound calls we just have clients use click to dial with their CRM.  They REALLY want inbound caller ID though.
Photo of Phil Denton

Phil Denton

We need this functionality as well.  For outbound calls we just have clients use click to dial with their CRM.  They REALLY want inbound caller ID though.
Photo of Stephen Bashford

Stephen Bashford

• 62 Points
I really cannot believe this system does not offer this and this thread is 6 years old now. How lame!
I don't see any feedback from RC, do they even read these posts?
Photo of Lynn Thompson

Lynn Thompson

• 430 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
It would be very helpful to also have Shared Contacts in additional to Company and Personal contacts. I have multiple employees that need to all have access to the same list of non-company contacts (our clients contact information). Currently, I have to export the main list then import it to each individual User. Very time consuming.
Lynn
Photo of George

George

• 390 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Another vote for this feature two years later.

Shannon Brunston

And three years later...
Photo of Ryan Emslie

Ryan Emslie

• 60 Points
We need this, please. Fact it's cloud-based system but missing some basic, intuitive features is frustrating at this price point.
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

This could be done today.  See my answer above

Chuck
Chuck@yoritguy.com
Photo of Brooke Harper

Brooke Harper

• 260 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I vote for this one too.
Photo of Andrew Riley

Andrew Riley

• 292 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Man i really really need this.
Photo of Jay Nichols

Jay Nichols

• 2,840 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
You realize that this request thread is 6 years old, right?  Do you really think they are going to do it?
Photo of Andrew Riley

Andrew Riley

• 292 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
no and i just talked to my rep. there is no way to accomplish this. unless we can convince 1044 external contractors to install Glip on their personal phones. And then use Glip ourselves. This was a HUGE part of our business case for going with RIng Central. NO beuno.
Photo of Jay Nichols

Jay Nichols

And it will be a HUGE reason (among all the other requests that RC has ignored) for dropping them once our contract is up.  Good system, poor management, poor support.
Photo of Jerry Ta

Jerry Ta

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Could someone tell me a better alternative? 
Photo of 4WeHelp

4WeHelp

• 756 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I agree with Lynn, even Google allows you to share contacts.
Photo of Daniel Johnson

Daniel Johnson

• 430 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I just want to add another vote for adding this service. I would think it would be a relatively simple feature to add. If more than one person in a company contacts the same people, which is most companies, it's cumbersome and time-consuming for each individual user to add each contact to their personal contacts list.
Photo of Stephen Dolenski

Stephen Dolenski

• 356 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
most importantly this needs to be available to searched and seen on the IOS App so that you can find people and make a call with out giving out your cell phone number.
Photo of Phil Denton

Phil Denton

• 154 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
For outbound calls my clients call from within their CRM then choose to have the RingCentral app handle the call, which masks Caller ID.
Photo of Jeff Gandillon

Jeff Gandillon

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I discovered a workaround for this on accident, but it certainly has flaws depending on how you are using your system. In our situation we wanted all our phones to ring so a real person had the opportunity to answer before the auto receptionist. The workaround we were told to use was to set up a new extension (without a phone) and configure it to ring all phones then use the voicemail greeting as the auto receptionist (since extensions can still be entered at any time). This also has the accidental added functionality of giving you what is essentially a shared contacts list. Adding contacts to that extension that rings all phones allows the names of those contacts to show up in the caller ID for all phones.

That being said, for most people that is not going to be a valid solution, so I still definitely support the implementation of an actual shared contacts list.
Photo of JW Lodge

JW Lodge

• 512 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hi Jeff, I too have my system configured like yours. What I don't understand is that if you add the contacts there and you're a member of the "Everyone" extension you can't use them to dial out because those are individual extension specific. And if you have inbound caller ID names turned on then it really doesn't do much for you. Am I understanding this correctly? I also agree that a shared contact list would be nice. We have many vendors and customers we have to call on a consistent basis and would help from having to search through other contact lists for them.
Photo of Kelly

Kelly

• 172 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
How do I share contacts with others in my office?.

3 of us have ring central & we are unable to share contacts. I have a bunch in my contact list on RC but I can't send them to my co-workers RC accounts to use.
Photo of alex d

alex d

• 2,498 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
I have also wanted this function,
it should have been done [created/ enabled] a long time ago.
My old PBX system could do it!
Photo of Rene Rubio

Rene Rubio

• 202 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This function is a must and its getting a little late to implement it. Can't have a working company without being able to share business contacts. 
Photo of alex d

alex d

Will Ring Central at least let us know they are working on it???
Maybe even announce a release date!
Photo of Brett Youngberg

Brett Youngberg, Champion

• 2,336 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
We would also like to see this implemented ASAP. I've been asking for years now since we joined RingCentral. Ideally this would have API access so we can sync with our CRM system.
Photo of Phil Denton

Phil Denton

Yes, this times a million!
Photo of Thomas Stout

Thomas Stout

• 200 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Completely agree that this needs to be implemented. Syncing with a CRM system would be great too.

Can this request also include being able to import contacts directly into the desktop phones? Currently they only allow you to manually enter phone numbers into the phones stored directory. The desktop phones should automatically synch their contacts with the Personal contacts directory.
Photo of Stauffacher

Stauffacher

• 162 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
2 years later, I too am looking for a solution for syncing contacts manually entered into the Ring Central online to my cisco ip deskphone.
 I entered all our contacts online and expected my phone to then show those names in the caller id on my deskphone. Instead, all my phone shows is the incoming number - no name/caller id. I'd really like to see the name of who is calling before I answer, not just the number. 
From what I can find, the only way to get contact names to show up/caller id for incoming calls is to manually re-enter those same contacts into the cisco ip deskphone itself. Which would be a painstaking, inefficient task especially given that names must be entered T9 texting style.

RingCentral, I would appreciate any feedback or help you can offer. 
(Edited)
Photo of Brett Youngberg

Brett Youngberg

• 108 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Please vote here: https://community.ringcentral.com/ringcentral/topics/creating_new_company_contacts

Or RC moderator merge this thread with the Company wide shared contacts
Photo of Richard Burks

Richard Burks

• 210 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
VOTE?!!? REALLY, THIS IS LIKE BUYING A PHONE SERVICE THAN THEN ASKING THE CUSTOMER TO EXPLAIN WHY THE WANT TO BE ABLE TO CALL OUT ON IT TOO.  AFTER ALL YOU CAN GET CALLS CANT YOU?  LOL

Shannon Brunston

This link is dead... but I"m commenting because this is a 4 year old request that hasn't seen any movement from RC moderators. 
Photo of Lab Pharm

Lab Pharm, Champion

• 556 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Yeah.  Me too.  2018 is right now.  When will this feature come?
Photo of Mike Provencher

Mike Provencher

• 116 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Yeah, dead link.  C'mon RC...get it done.  A contact list?  How frikkin BASIC a request is this??!!?
Photo of Cynthia Bruster

Cynthia Bruster

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I am nor sure if my situation is the same as most for adding contacts. In my case I am trying to add contacts of companies that I need to send out faxes to. These people are not necessarily users of Ring Central or employees. I am simply trying to create a list of contacts that I frequently needed to send faxes to. This works fine using Ring Central on my desktop because it allows you to select your recipient from our Outlook Mail Contacts, however, I had to send this fax online because for some reason from my desktop it does not allow me to attach a .pdf document. That one I am still waiting on a solution or reason why. So thanks to anyone who might have the solution for adding recipients to your contact list.
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

for the PDF attachment issue, check the name of the PDF.  I have seen with special characters in a name could cause an issue

Also, make sure you have the latest soft phone installed

Chuck
ckfuscone@yahoo.com
Photo of Jorge Rojas

Jorge Rojas, Champion

• 472 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
We just signed up and just realized that the share company contacts is not there, our old 3Com phones had it.  It will be great if this feature is added.
Photo of Thai Truong

Thai Truong

• 184 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I just signed up as well thinking that the Company contacts was a non-User contacts that can be shared with the entire company.  This would be the greatest feature for Ring Central.
Photo of Lindsay Agor

Lindsay Agor

• 226 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We just signed up as well and I never thought to ask if they ad this feature it seems rather basic and that it should be included. We had it with our shoretel account. Please add this feature ASAP.
Photo of E. M Scott

E. M Scott

• 3,502 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Agree! Shoretel offered this feature 6 years ago. Ring Central, if you are going to offer enterprise level phone system, enterprise level features are required.
Photo of Phil Denton

Phil Denton

Just as an aside, I spent most of my career installing Cisco CallManager before focusing more on SMB phone systems.  Cisco doesn't offer this feature in their enterprise solutions, either.
Photo of dave8147

dave8147

• 350 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
We have just signed up and this is the first question asked a shared company list would be very usefull
Photo of Mark McGowen

Mark McGowen

• 274 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Just joined RingCentral and can't believe this feature does not exist. Can RingCentral please explain why this basic essential feature is not available 
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 94,128 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Mark, Sorry I can't give you a specific reason. Our Product Team receives dozens of feature requests every week, which they regularly review.  There are a lot of different things they must consider when developing new features and since there are so many requests and limited resources they must eliminate certain requests. The best think you (and others) can do is click the "like" button at the top of this page to show your support. The more interest there is, the more likely it will get developed. 
Photo of Brett Youngberg

Hi Mike,

This has been the #2 most liked thread in "Ideas" behind the Windows phone idea. It has been like that for almost 2 years now. I've been asking for this long before you guys moved to Get Satisfaction

The status of many of the projects in the Ideas section haven't been updated for a LONG time. For example, the Zendesk integration idea came much later than this, but has since been implemented but is still marked as "planned". It had WAY fewer votes or likes than this thread.

If you guys really do use the feedback here to listen to your customers and their feature/improvement requests, it would be nice if you kept it up to date or at least responded if you aren't going to do something - like the windows phone (but I would agree that would probably be a waste of resources based on adoption and the ever changing roadmap from Microsoft). Otherwise it feels like this is the idea graveyard - just a place for customers to feel like they have a way to give product feedback without it requiring your tech support resources.

A shared contact list in the company (not users) seems like it would be well within RingCentral's control and expertise for development instead of spending time developing on third party platforms like Windows, Zendesk, Google etc
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Hello Brett, Thanks for your comments. I do understand your frustration.  I'm not in a position to confirm the exact reason that certain features do not get implemented, but I do know that there are a lot more things to consider in addition to the number of "likes" received on this forum.  I can assure you this site is not an idea graveyard, as I have fairly regular communications with our Product Team.  I realize there is room for improvement for updating the status on some of the posts and we are working on a system to do that.  

Mike 
Photo of TJ Murray

TJ Murray

Mike,

I respect the fact that this isn't your call to make, and I appreciate you taking the time to comment in this thread, but in all honesty I'm incredibly disappointed.  I posted this back in October 2013, and since then dozens of your customers have echoed the same sentiments.  Clearly there is a need for this functionality, and as a company that values customer feedback I would conclude that your Product Team will see the need to address this issue immediately to make up for the nearly 17 months since I first called attention to it.  I would hate to see you lose customers on account of such simple request.  RingCentral is otherwise a very good product, and it would be a real shame if I had to tell my fellow working professionals to steer clear of your services.

I look forward to hearing back from you, please let us know what the timetable will be for development ASAP.

Thank you

TJ
Photo of alex d

alex d

i will be looking for a new service provider
Photo of Jason Heidkamp

Jason Heidkamp

• 550 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This should be a basic feature.  
Photo of alex d

alex d

Exactly! 3 years later and still NO company wide, shared speed dial.
Photo of J3a Tech

J3a Tech

• 258 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Yes, Please add this feature. This is the MOST requested feature from our clients.
Photo of Mark McGowen

Mark McGowen

Wow I didn't realise it was just me that found this so annoying and I've only had it a couple of days. I feel the pain for all the other users out there that have been requesting this for 2 years. Maybe if you can tell us what the developers are currently working on so that us, the users, can help determine if the current projects that are being worked on are as important as this feature.

On a positive note I had to ring support this morning about a problem I had. The helpdesk were very good and resolved my problem. thankyou

(Edited)
Photo of alex d

alex d

Excellent idea.
RC please let us know the new enhancements that ARE being worked on,
Maybe they are better ideas, MAYBE they aren't!
Photo of alex d

alex d

5 months ago I asked what is being worked on....
Not a peep!
Last week I specifically asked if "Non User, Company Wide Contact" feature was being worked on,...
Silence again.
Why can't Management give us an answer?
Either tell us it's being worked on, or admit it's not being worked on.
Photo of Rickkee

Rickkee

• 852 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
It's not a 'bug', its a "critical" feature that is missing (due to egregious oversight IMHO).  We have to add each new account to every users "personal" address list and it is a time-wasting....d..r...a...g....How can the most feature-rich, progressive voip vendor in the industry continue to overlook this most highly requested "feature enhancement"
Photo of Richard Burks

Richard Burks

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Absolutely right!  - Or maybe this is a "Critical Bug" ha.  Ringcentral - do you even have a QA dept?  Let me guess, you have someone that you call QA but you dont even have a clue about how many critical bugs are out their or what they are and you just don't care.   It's all about the money.  Why don't you spend a little more money on developement instead of changing your mind about this after you start losing money.   Right now this probably makes you laugh since you are making so much money but it will only take one company with an interest in making a quality product that could change everything.  I watched a 10 Billion dollar company make a couple bad choices and 10 yrs later they were our of business (3Com).  The QA dept was the first thing they cut back on.   This choice didnt save them money it was the beginning of the end.   If marketing is what keeps making you money it will change in time.  A company based on marketing is just a house of cards.  A company based on customer service will outlive all of the others in good times and bad.   
(Edited)
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 37,348 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
3com never went out of business. They were acquired by Hewlett Packard for $2.7 billion in 2010. During it's lifetime they had acquired 17 companies between 1987 and 2007.
Photo of Richard Burks

Richard Burks

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I beg to differ, I worked at HQ in Santa Clara and yes they sold out to a Chinese company in Name only.  They sold their distribution chain and name.  Everything else was trashed.   Yes on the surface HP purchsed them but as you know only Chinese companies can sell in China (for the most part)  Everything that was 3Com is no more.  It used to be a Silicon valley based company that did their own manufacturing on-site.   20 Yrs ago I even started the Yahoo group "3Goners" to help keep the family alive.   It was the best company I ever worked for but the real point is what Ringcentral is doing, isn't is?   
Photo of Robert Stoeber

Robert Stoeber, Champion

It really is surprising to me that RingCentral has such a problem with Contact management. The need for external "Company Contacts" should be obvious to anyone that's ever had more than one employee. It's not just that my clients could benefit from this feature, they actually expect it because it's such an obvious problem.

Likewise, almost everyone I know uses Google to manage their email and contacts. It's hard to believe that in 2015 we still can't sync our Google contacts with RingCentral.

Managing contacts in RingCentral should be invisible during normal, day-to-day use, but instead it's a constant reminder that we should be looking into a new phone system.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 94,158 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi everyone, Sorry that I still do not have a response from our Product Team on this yet, but I'm working with them to update several threads here. However, I do have some information that might help.  First, it's important to understand (which I'm sure you are aware) that the Company contacts are the numbers within your RingCentral (your company) account.  All of the numbers are capable of being used in Call Groups, Call forwarding, SMS messaging and many other RC features. Opening this field up for users to add 3rd party company contacts would likely cause much confusion and pose possible security risks. It would be easy to make a mistake and accidentally forward calls, or messages etc if those 3rd party number were commingled, or people might try to set them up to be used with other RC functions which they simply would be not compatible with. 

So, with that in mind as an other idea,  would it make sense to all of you if there were a 3rd tab for "Business" contacts so that you then had three tabs; Personal, Business, & Company and then opened up the Business tab for you to all add contacts which you could share internally?  Your feedback on this suggestion is welcome. 
Photo of alex d

alex d

What i would like to see is;
1- Increase "Speed Dial" capacity.
2- Be able access these Speed Dials by number, i.e. enter phone speed dial function, enter 3 digit ID, Name appears on phone, press Dial.
3- This list of Speed Dials needs to be accessible by all of our system phones.
Photo of Jason Heidkamp

Jason Heidkamp

Yes, it would be extremely helpful if the admin could upload a list of commonly called numbers that is accessible by all users in the office.  So yes, a 3rd tab for "Business" Contacts which all users have access to would be great.  Please implement asap.  

Any update as to when the next release is going to happen with the ignore and send to voicemail buttons fixed for inbound, 3rd party calls?
Photo of TJ Murray

TJ Murray

Mark,

A new "Business contacts" tab sounds great to me, would definitely solve this issue as far as I'm concerned.  Would love to see it rolled out as a new feature ASAP.

Thanks & keep us posted on that.

TJ
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Thanks for the feedback.  To my knowledge, I don't think this is the works yet, so theres not ETA but I'll make sure these comments are seen by the product team. 

Also, Jason there is already a "send to voicemail" option available.  When your phone rings, you should see the options in this image. If you click "To Voicemail" the call automatically dumps into the voicemail and the phone stops ringing. 

Photo of Robert Stoeber

Robert Stoeber, Champion

Or, since you obviously know the internal phone numbers, you could simply flag them in your database automatically so that only the internal numbers are used for those specific operations that require an internal number.

However, the addition of a third tab sounds like a reasonable solution. The iOS app and desktop softphone would easily support that within their current user interface.

While the developers are considering that feature, please ask them to include some automated way to keep the list updated. We do not want to maintain this list of "Business Contacts" in RingCentral - it has to be available in RingCentral, but updated in our CRM or other databases. So RingCentral must have some way to refresh/reload these contacts automatically. Maybe they could provide something really simple and flexible, like allowing us to specify a URL where RingCentral can fetch a csv file every night.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Thanks Robert,  This another interesting idea.So perhaps having a CSV files stored in an accessible file location, and then have it sync similar to how it syncs Outlook Contacts.  This way the admins could maintain one file and it could sync to the other users. 
Photo of dave8147

dave8147

• 350 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
having the third "Business contacts" tab makes sense mike
Photo of Jason Heidkamp

Jason Heidkamp

The send to voicemail and the Ignore button do not work on the new Desktop phone when calls come in from outside the office.  
Photo of Robert Stoeber

Robert Stoeber, Champion

Yes, it's absurd to expect us to manually maintain contact lists separately in RingCentral when we already manage our contacts in Google, CRM systems, accounting systems, or wherever. Up-to-date phone phone numbers are critical to our business, regardless of size or activity, so RingCentral contact management should require no extra effort. And it's not like this is a complex, or expensive feature we want - it's just a few more records added to a database table.

My personal complaint is the lack of sync with my Google Contacts, but many of my clients use other systems depending on the size and type of business. That's why a simple, nightly fetch of a standardized CSV file would be appealing. Regardless of the original source I could easily script the updating of that CSV file and and never have to think about contacts again.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Jason, it looks like there might still be some issues with it not working for some people.  Use this link to Open a Case and let them know which application and the phone number you are having the problem with.  Is it the Desktop app, mobile app etc. If it's the mobile app then also let them know what device and OS you are using. Thanks
Photo of Brett Youngberg

Business Contacts tab would be a great solution. We would like the ability to push a list via an API from our CRM. Admins should have the ability to edit the list.

It would be critical that specific name/number combinations get priority for the Caller ID that is displayed and in the call logs. What I find with my currently uploaded list is that if someone is calling from an office in which we have many contacts from that same company, it seems to randomly choose which person it shows as the caller ID, even though it is almost always someone else from that company (or use to work at that company but we didn't know they left). If it is an office or business number on the contact record, then the business/company name for that record should come up, not the personal name of one of the users. Or a way to specify or identify a Business record versus Person record so that if there is a "Business" record included in the list and the Caller ID matched any phone number on that business record, the Business name would be displayed and override any person records. That way we can store the company phone numbers on the person records without having to worry about the order or slot they are put into. 
Photo of Daniel

Daniel

• 150 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
YES YEE and YESSSSS.
Photo of Daniel

Daniel

• 150 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
What we want and need is an open API that allows us to access phone record data on RingCentral's servers securely via JSON or XML and not just restrict access to the big companies like Constant Contact or SalesForce.

Is this in the works and when can we expect this?
Photo of bfr

bfr

• 422 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
We need this immediately. Also incoming CallerID in Canada would be a great feature to have......
Photo of Jose Pastor

Jose Pastor, Official Rep

• 690 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
For API access have you checked out https://developer.ringcentral.com/ for greater access to your call logs?  There is a lot there.
Photo of Lab Pharm

Lab Pharm, Champion

I think a Business Contacts list is a very good idea.  Some suggestions:
  • Make it searchable by company and person name
  • Make sure there is a difference between Company, Person Name and capture email, phone and mobile.  
  • Try to prevent duplicates by prompting to combine/merge with other busiiness contacts from the same business:  Example:  Contact Info for Dr. Smith, Dr. Brown, and Doctor White who all work for Metro General Hospital would be listed under the Metro General Hospital entry as well as individually.
  • API entry is great idea but I would really like a .csv import option as well that is set up to receive standard Outlook or Google contact info exports.
  • Include a way to import or identify a Caller Id name (if this person every calls our business it will show up as "abc def" on caller id)
  • I would want to upload my client list to this database (around 3000 contacts) b/c it would help our customer experience.  Hopefully it can handle that many?
  • Reporting - It would be great to be able to print or create file of all contacts that have been added over last X months.  The purpose of this is, as admin, to make sure that  staff are adding contact info in an organized / reasonable manner and to identify and fix duplicates, errors, disorganization
  • Export - would want to be able to export this list in the event that you guys start to stink and I want to go to another provider.  :-)
Photo of Daniel Elkin

Daniel Elkin

• 94 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
A customer csv upload would be ok as a start.

Shannon Brunston

This would be a great solution. 

Shannon Brunston

This would be a great solution. 
Photo of Lab Pharm

Lab Pharm, Champion

Year later, this would still be a great solution.
Photo of Jay Nichols

Jay Nichols

Actually, this whole thing started 5 years ago.  FIVE YEARS!!!!!!  You would think that a technology SERVICE company could come up with something in FIVE YEARS!!!!
Photo of Phil Denton

Phil Denton

• 188 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Come on guys.  It's time to get this done.  It can't be that difficult.
Photo of Phil Denton

Phil Denton

• 188 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Come on guys.  It's time to get this done.  It can't be that difficult.
Photo of sudoISS

sudoISS

• 86 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Yeah, that'd work great. All I want is to be able to save our non-RingCentral, but nonetheless regular business contacts, so I can search for them by name instead of having to copy and paste their phone number from a Google Sheet in order to send them a text on their actual phone.

I appreciate the concern for security, but... seriously four years? For a contact list? Little surprised...
Photo of Felton Frantz

Felton Frantz

• 516 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
As a exchange server user, I assumed my global address list (GAL) could be dynamically linked as my RC external contact list as well as my RC caller ID whitelist. I am currently in an implementation phase, but this could be a basic show stopper. CSV imports and redundant manual entry are just not acceptable. The solution should be transparent, automatic and immediate. What is current status and game plan?
(Edited)
Photo of TJ Murray

TJ Murray

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I wish I could say otherwise, but honestly I am not expecting a fix anytime soon.  I started this thread over 2 years ago, and still nothing has been done.

If you need this functionality (and haven't already committed time & resources to it like my company has) then I advise you use another vendor.
(Edited)
Photo of Felton Frantz

Felton Frantz

• 516 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
That has something to say about month to month plans. I have reviewed a number of systems and would appreciate the opportunity to collaborate in a functional matrix with folks who have evaluated or are using Ring Central as well as other IVR offerings from other ASP's. fdf@frantzsystems.com. It seems someone must have it all at an SMB price point.
Photo of Danny Start

Danny Start

• 484 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I'd also like to add that it would useful to add a globally shared address book for each  RC call group. e.g. one shared address book for Accounts, one for Sales..
Still waiting for any kind of basic feature!  I do not want to have to individually manage deskphones. This is a cloud based system, the phones are auto-provisioned so why cannot the address book? 

I'm almost imagining this is a Cisco or Polycom limitation.
Photo of William Draper

William Draper

• 72 Points
I just signed up today with equipment on the way and without the ability to:  1. Auto Dial a telephone number anywhere like Skype (even done with PC card and copper)  
  2. Customer database (contacts) universally available to in house and field sales.
I suppose I will send back the equipment.  I'm small business but I can do it myself better than sending an updated .csv file every week with exposure written all over it!  
See you Folks, it was an interesting six hours being a RingCentral customer. 
Photo of Juchuu Auctivaqa

Juchuu Auctivaqa

• 214 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
If this don't wake RingCentral up, nothing will.  "Can you hear me NOW?"  This is an important feature and not having is not acceptable.    “What’s the difference between ignorance and indifference?” Answer, “I don’t know, and I don’t care.”  This is how it seems to me when it comes to RingCentral's lack of obvious and important features like this one.
Photo of TJ Murray

TJ Murray

William - can't say I blame you one bit
Photo of William Draper

William Draper

• 72 Points
In some fairness, would rather positive than negative they do have this going..https://developer.ringcentral.com/ but T.J Murray up above says it took two years?  And it looks shiny but I don't really know how beta developer things work....shouldn't it be a grand rollout deal?  Anybody know?  My equipment tracking says it'll be here this morning and I'm gonna turn the truck around!  Ha! Truck, who am I kidding....I'm smb, I'm gonna ask William with UPS how to send my order back.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

We are constantly reviewing all the idea and feature requests received on this Community site. We actually have a fairly aggressive update schedule, and push out updates approximately every 8 weeks. We receive dozens of requests daily so our Product Team does have to go through a prioritization process when determining what features to release. Unfortunately there are cases where some things do indeed take several months or even over a year + to implement.   You are always welcome to submit ideas here: How do I submit a request for a new Idea or Feature?

Also for any new customer it's always a good idea to visit with your Account Manager or your Implementation Advisor.  

Mike 
Photo of Claudio (Customer)

Claudio (Customer)

• 14,130 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Is there any way to be inform what are the features that are "in the oven" ? As other customer said, maybe here we could bring ideas and comments to help in this prioritization... at the end of the day (as is commonly said) "the customer is always right", right ?
(Edited)
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Hi Claudio,  We try to update these Idea topics with a "Planned" status if they are planned or in the works.  However, there are occasions that your product team chooses to not announce the development of certain features for a variety of reasons. 
Photo of TJ Murray

TJ Murray

Mike

I can appreciate that you're taking the time to explain the development process.  Never as easy as just taking an idea and implementing it the next day.  I get all that.

But the fact that there's still not a solution to this issue is asinine.  I had no choice but to recommend to my boss that we switch vendors as soon as it makes financial sense to do so.  This isn't a personal knock on you Mike.  It's that there simply is no excuse for having not made any progress on this, and I highly doubt you could find any RingCentral customer that would disagree.

TJ
Photo of Peter Stevenson

Peter Stevenson

I agree with the above statements. I Posted a similar request OVER a year ago and it's crazy that nothing has been done. And as far as Claudio's comment above - I think that's a great idea. I board that allows actual RingCentral users to Up-vote development requests to increase their priority. RingCentral Devs could still work on their own projects behind the scenes, but the up-voting system would allow for the features that are truly important to your customers to rise to the top of the priorities list.
(Edited)
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Hi Peter,  Thanks for your comments.  I understand your frustration as I read nearly every post made on this forum.  This Community site is basically what you described. We encourage all users to comment and click the "like" button on all threads they have interest in.  It's is important to know that there are other channels of information gathering as well, so just because an idea has been on this Community site for a long time, it does not necessarily mean that it has the most interest and highest priority.  There are many things our Product Team must consider and I'm sorry that they don't have time to comment  and provide continuous updates on this site. However I assure you that they are aware if requests like this as I personally send regular reports and am in regular contact with that team.  We do appreciate your comments!  Thank you

Mike
Photo of alex d

alex d

Answer the questions.
1- Is making a "Company Wide Directory" currently being worked on?
2- If yes, what is the estimated date of beta testing?
3- what is the estimated date of full release?
Photo of Peter Stevenson

Peter Stevenson

Thanks Alex - I wasn't even going to address this forum again after this last response. Mike - As you've stated, this forum is NOT a direct link to the dev team where they can see and prioritize projects based on customer want/need - so sorry, but it is NOT what I described in my post. This is a forum trolled by customer service reps to "pass along info" and quell the uprising with non-answer replies filled with fluff. Every one of your answers on here has been the same. They don't address the actual issue - they just say "we're working on it". This thread has been "under consideration" for so long - nobody believes it any more. This is a really important (and from the opinions of developers I've spoken with about it) very simple change that would make my firms communications so much better and easier.
Photo of bfr

bfr

• 422 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This is especially an issue in Canada where ringcentral apparently doesn't have the deals with carriers in order to make incoming CallerID work. All these issues need to be made clear up front because switching is a very protracted experience.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Excellent point bfr,  Thanks for sharing. 

Juchuu Auctivaqa

Mike or any official rep, i have a quick question for you.  I have worked in an environment exactly like what I think ringcentral has as a QA Engineer.  How many full time devs do you have working on the ring central product?  approx what percentage goes for bug fixes, marketing based features ideas, and what % goes to addressing issues on this board?  Where i worked I found that marketing got the highest % followed by some bug fixes and almost no effort went into issues like the ones on this board.  Also, how many issues/features are completed in your 8-wk cycle on avg or do you even track this.  I find that if it is tracked it is an extremely low number and in fact where i worked out of 15 devs we got about 3 issues/wk completed and when management found out that i was tracking these numbers i almost got fired when i released a graphic internally.  My only intent was to inform managment on our ability to complete work over a given time so that we could make more realistic estimates but the fact is it revealed how poorly our management was.  bottom line is, is this info tracked and if it is what number of customer reported enhancements (not bugs) are completed in a typical 8-wk cycle.  And if this is not tracked then the next question is very obvious so I wont say it here.  I don't want to get fired again.  BTW, I dont blame the poor guy in customer support that has to be the buffer between management and the customers in fact I would quite if i had to deal with what they have to especially if you are powerless to get things done that you know need to be.  As it was where I worked.  Ultimately it is managements fault or success and it is up to the customer to vote by using our wallets.  If we continue to support a poorly managed product then we are to blame.  Everyone I ask you to vote NOW.  

Juchuu Auctivaqa

4 YRS NOW! - May I ask, do these forum requests even get reviewed or considered by anyone that has the power to approve them?  How many people have to say this is a "must have" before management will add this feature?  What exactly is the procedure to get a new feature approved?  Just so people will stop asking for  the same feature over and over again, year after year, can you just say that this feature will NEVER be added.  Or give some finality to the issue by providing the reasoning behind not doing it and then  freezing the forum feature request so customers stop wasting their time commenting on it.  

It feels a little sadistic
to just allow this feature request to remain in play for 4 years.  Does anyone agree or am I totally out of line here??? 
At least allow an open api call so that someone can develop this and other features to give to your users - either free or fee based.  Tons of devs would probably make api based addons for a fee and if you think they are making too much money you can allows make your own or offer to buy their work.  You could even create a Ring Central approved 3rd party add-on catalog so users can purchase features they want.  You would still be in control and users could get what they want and it wouldn't cost RC anything.  Consider allowing a RC 3rd party addon website where devs could post $5-$20 add-ons with an option for RC to buy them out for some fixed fee of say...100 x fee.  as an example.  They do the work and RC keeps control and can buy out whatever features they want.  What would it hurt to try?
Photo of Jay Nichols

Jay Nichols

• 702 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
It is pretty pathetic that a SIMPLE request can't be worked into the system.  Having programmed in the past, I KNOW it would be a fairly simple task to add a module to provide this service.  This is a VERY SIMPLE FIX!  But RC just doesn't want to listed to it's customer base.  Wise up RC, the mood of the country now is, if you don't like the Status Quo, CHANGE.  Meaning, we can find another company that will listen to our needs.   You really want to start losing customers who will voice their concerns publicly?