Contacts: share my Personal Contacts with all users

• Idea
  • Updated 1 day ago
  • Under Consideration
  • (Edited)
We need a central company wide "Personal Contact List" which auto updates every day as new contacts are added. One way would be to allow the Admin or designated user the
option to share his/her Personal Contact List.
It would also be helpful to
allow any user to share their Personal Contact List with other users or groups.
Photo of Richard Callaway

Richard Callaway

• 2,172 Points 2k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Alicia Moore

Alicia Moore

• 184 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
There are several what I would consider basic features lacking but this one - shared contacts - is the most annoying. Come on, RIng Central, get with the times!
Photo of Marx

Marx

• 156 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Since we are utterly ignored here, and even when I asked my Rep about it only got the shortest "no it won't do that" reply I've ever seen... Maybe we take to posting internet reviews about this feature... If it let's the cat out of the bag to Potential Customers, in lieu of those of us already stuck in contracts, perhaps they'll start to listen and at least respond.
Photo of Elliot Beaudoin

Elliot Beaudoin, Alum

• 924 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hello Everyone,

I will dip my toes into this somewhat warm water here. I'm Elliot a newish Product Manager here at RingCentral. My apologies on the response delays on this topic. 

One of the things I've been researching at RingCentral is Contact Management.

I actually replied on another related Contact Management thread (maybe these threads should be combined?) saying pretty much the following. I am looking for some intel to clarify all the things we need to do that are Contact related in order to have a clear position on the benefits that are needed by our customer base.

If you'd like to participate in this research beyond this Forum, please fill out the survey here: https://goo.gl/forms/oVhtd4OmmdoYHaNk1

I can't promise any short term movement on this enhancement, but I will be transparent about where we are. We are now researching this as a part of our rolling planning for more strategic items, and this is an item that's on the table. That said, I'm moving the status of this to Under Consideration. 

I look forward to hearing from you all.

- Elliot
Photo of Guy Smith FOAB

Guy Smith FOAB

• 272 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Has anything come of this toe dip please?
Photo of Travis Tindal

Travis Tindal

• 72 Points
I would fill out the survey and be a part of the form, however, I don't believe the link is active any longer. I do see that this link was posted a year ago. If the forum is over, I hope the outcome was that this feature was not needed.
Photo of Saadet - Community Support

Saadet - Community Support, Official Rep

• 38,198 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hey Travis,

That particular survey has since expired, sorry for any confusion! I haven't been given an ETA on this feature yet. If I hear anything, I'll be sure to post here :)
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 92,044 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Photo of Blake Holliday

Blake Holliday

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Centralized company contacts list.

We are a Canadian account holder. 

We are an industry leading real estate team who use technology and manpower in ways never before seen in real estate. We have a team of about 20 people. 

We need a centralized company contact list updated in real time. 

If one of our realtors or admin staff create a new contact (with a name and some notes) in their RingCentral desktop or smartphone app this information should be immediately available to all team members. If the customer calls a different realtor in the group or one of our office's central lines the team member answering the phone should be able to see the client's name and the notes made by the previous team member. 

This way the person answering the phone will be aware of who the caller is to our company and see any comments made by team members after previous calls. 
Photo of Andy Clegg

Andy Clegg

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Yes this needs to be added we are a small office and need to share all the contacts. It's badly needed. I see that the original thread started 2 years ago :(
(Edited)
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

• 14,524 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
having a company wide directory with allowed access would be great.
Photo of DEXTER

DEXTER

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Yes, we need to be able to share contacts lists and/or have a general company contacts list that can be updated. Manual or auto update does not matter to us we just need this functionality ASAP!
Photo of W H

W H

• 214 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We have high call volume. The call log is just a bunch of numbers that don't tell us much unless the Caller ID identifies the caller...but our CRM has all that info.  What RingCentral is telling me is that I need to take the list of thousands of contacts and upload them into every user's personal address book so the central Log will work? That makes no sense.  There should be a central address book for the company we can identify customers calling in by name, regardless of the Caller ID information, since we have that information and can upload it.  As the OP asked, if we can set up an Operator user whose Contacts are visible by everyone or if an Administrator can publish/push updates visible on all users' contact lists, THAT makes sense for the way most companies work.  Our customer data is dynamic... distributing thousands of names to essentially give every employee a rolodex is such an outdated notion, generates errors & creates security issues.  How about an address book where entries are visible to All or to Group; this would allow us to batch up Executive address books that aren't for wide distribution. These might also be marked "read only" to those users or "read/write".  When the user is working with the address book, for their own truly personal entries (mother who might call at work) the entries should have a "Private" or "Personal" and be owned by that user for full access/delete.
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Sotelo

Stephen Sotelo

• 270 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I came here looking for an answer to this very problem, and I see my business is not the only one. Too bad Ringcentral Is apparently doing nothing about it.
Photo of Sarah DiGloria

Sarah DiGloria

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I don't know who we need to talk with to get this feature added. Maybe if we all call RC Support every day until we get a positive response? Wonder if we could organize something like that on here.
Photo of Arron Voce

Arron Voce

• 228 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Don't expect a reply anytime soon Sarah!
Photo of Sarah DiGloria

Sarah DiGloria

I understand! I've spoken with Support multiple times about this issue, and also interacted on this forum. It is obvious to me RC doesn't want to spend the effort to give customers this feature at this time. So all we can do is keep talking about it.

• 35,560 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hey Sarah, this Community is the appropriate place to submit and discuss feature requests - not our Support channels. The process of implementing a specific feature is quite complex, you can learn more about that here. Please know that we do send regular reports to our Product Team regarding what our customers would like to see. If I hear anything new about this, I'll be sure to post here :)
Photo of Sarah DiGloria

Sarah DiGloria

Hi Saadet,

Thanks for the reply.

Please do speak up to the Product Team until they enhance the Contacts feature so that it is actually useful to an Organization, not just to one User.

Thank you kindly,
Sarah
Photo of Arron Voce

Arron Voce

• 228 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I think the problem here is that this conversation was started 4 years ago and there has been no official communication regarding this.

• 35,560 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Arron, I completely understand the frustration. Currently we have hundreds of feature requests on the Community and our Product Team is not able to regularly comment on them since they are working on other projects :) But since this is listed as Under Consideration, that means it is definitely on their radar!
Photo of Peter Czarnecki

Peter Czarnecki, Employee

• 902 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hello all,  please vote/like this idea if you agree this would be useful.  Our product team can monitor the level of interest for this request.  We encourage all customers interested in this “product or feature” to click the “like” button so that we can determine overall demand and hopefully implement this in the future.

Note, if you are a contact center customer there are address books that can be created and shared with all users or a subset of users as needed.  If you are not a contact center customer and would like to be, reach out to your account manager for more information.
Photo of Paul King

Paul King

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Most VOIP phone systems use an XML address book, even RC have the address book but the phones cannot link into it, the original request is also a workaround to a standard feature that should be working anyway.
(Edited)
Photo of Jan Ferguson, Channel Partner

Jan Ferguson, Channel Partner, Champion

• 31,296 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Peter...The request for this is over three years old! Many RingCentral customers are not even aware of these Community Forums. I don't believe this is an accurate way to gauge the interest (although there are 100 votes) of RingCentral's stated number of 350,000 customers.
Photo of Peter Czarnecki

• 902 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
The request is quite old yes, though I saw Stephen Sotelo comment and wanted to try to help some customers who may have contact center as a workaround.  We do encourage the use of the forum as this is and has been how we gauge customer interest in features they would like implemented or changed.
Photo of Sarah DiGloria

Sarah DiGloria

• 124 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Same issues with Caller ID. I entered our employees names in the contact list online, I'm a super admin, and their names still do not show up on my phone screen when they call in. Frustrating.
Photo of Marx

Marx

• 156 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I believe what Peter just said is: We've ignored this request for years but if you pay more money to our company that has shown you horrible Customer Service for years we will give you a time consuming, impractical work-around.
Photo of Peter Czarnecki

• 892 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hello Marx, I wanted to make sure any customer who may already have either an interest in the contact center feature or who already has contact center, knows that this is available.  I am not suggesting you add this for just this feature.
Photo of Stephen Sotelo

Stephen Sotelo

Hi Peter,

If I understand correctly, Ringcentral in fact does have the capability to sync contact info across all users if they upgrade to "Contact Center"?  If so, how much would this cost?  If it is nominal, I guess it would be worth it.  We are a small, 4-person/user firm who otherwise likes RC, but we don't need a bunch of bells and whistles and would simply like to share contact info data across all our firm users.
Photo of Peter Czarnecki

• 892 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Yes and no, it uses some different software which involves using a contact center agent which connects calls to your phone.  This agent is what has the address book, not the phones themselves.  Here is an example of one of the agents:

I apologize I can not speak to the cost of it being in technical support but your account manager should be able to give you more details and pricing to help decide if this would be a good fit for your team.
Photo of Stephen Sotelo

Stephen Sotelo

Thank you for the info.  I watched the Contact Center video on your website as well.  That looks like a nice solution for a call center or large company, but way too complicated for a small business like ours.  We really just want to a way to save contact data across all users.  For example, when a client calls me, I may have their NAME and other data associated with their phone number in my user profile, but when the same caller calls someone else in our office, none of that data is available (it's as if a complete stranger is calling).  I do hope RC gets around to it -- it seems pretty basic.
Photo of Merryl Gerhardt

Merryl Gerhardt

• 138 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Well Said Stephen.. Thanks for your input.. My Company needs this feature as well. 
Photo of GEORGE MKRTCHYAN

GEORGE MKRTCHYAN

• 688 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Stephen, just to give you an idea of the cost, RC doesn't even provide a Price Sheet for their partners (which we are)...
Photo of Annette Falk

Annette Falk

• 266 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This is much needed, I have this same issue with 3 lines and we can't share contacts without using Google. We have even't thought of leaving RC for this issue.
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 26,598 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Why not just make thoes contacts Company contacts by leveraging the Virtual extensions that RC makes available to everyone.  Then everyone could see them and they could be used as speed dials and assigned to presense keys.  There is a template that RC could use to upload from a list if you have a lot if them

This is possible and I do this for my customers.

Thank you

Chuck
Certified RC consultant
Chuck@yoritguy.com
Photo of Arron Voce

Arron Voce

Chuck, how can we do this in an environment where users are using the Chrome extension and Macs?
Photo of Arron Voce

Arron Voce

... Any response?
Photo of Guy Smith FOAB

Guy Smith FOAB

• 326 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hi Akk,

On the 31st May I was promised that this feature would be available on the next update.
Today I update to RC Release: 10.1.2.31099 and am very unhappy to find no feature upgrade for contacts.
I have just finished a 50min chat with support and was told that the feature was not included.
I have upgraded my chat to a formal complaint.
May I suggest that everyone does the same. We may then get something done about it??!!

Cheers, Guy.
(Edited)

• 43,092 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hey Guy, I'm sorry you were given misinformation :( I haven't heard from our Product Team regarding an ETA on this feature. Would you please email me who gave you that information? I'd like to follow up on it: community.support@ringcentral.com
Photo of KRILO

KRILO

• 222 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Most of us who have been posting for *YEARS* on these threads about the very *BASIC* feature of shared contacts list, don't care what this one individual user was or was not told. WE WANT TO KNOW THE TIMELINE FOR RINGCENTRAL IMPLEMENTING THIS VERY BASIC FUNCTION. That would be much more beneficial to the company's customer service reputation, than asking one user to name names about who might have told them what.

Thank you Saadet, looking forward to follow up on this question that HUNDREDS of uses have had for YEARS.

Photo of Arron Voce

Arron Voce

• 330 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Surely all that is required here is the ability to add a contact to 'Company' contacts.

• 31,796 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Arron,
It's not that simple. In any type of programming it's not as simple as people might think. With RingCentral you are also looking at the Windows and Mac applications, as well as the Android and iOS mobile apps. Additionally you have the Glip desktop app, the Glip mobile app and the Glip web-based app. So you are not only writing code to change something in the web portal but in all the other related apps as well.

When it comes to coding, the way it seems to be written now is where only Company numbers (i.e., numbers used within the RingCentral environment) are able to be placed in the Company contacts. Programming/coding would have to be done to either add a "Common" directory or allow Personal Contacts to be shared or to allow "personal type numbers" to be added to the Company contacts. Then it has to be coded throughout the entire spectrum of products.

DISCLAIMER: I am not an employee of RingCentral but I am a programmer. Most people have no idea as to what is involved in changing/creating what seems to be a simple task ideologically but in reality is much more difficult.
Photo of Arron Voce

Arron Voce

Hi Jan,
What I don't understand is that the fields for a Company Contact already exist, so rater than the RingCentral account populate 'Company' contacts with active phone users in the account essentially allow a 'Dummy' contact to be populated in these fields.

I can't answer that Arron. I have no access to their code and cannot tell you what the logic in their code is (code logic vs the logical way we as customer might want to see it).

As KRILO and many others have asked for in the past, we would just like to see this done. I am a RingCentral Partner and I have had customers and prospects ask for this functionality in the past. I was just trying to explain the intricacies and often time problems of programming/coding (especially if the code logic paints you into a corner and a whole rewrite is needed).
Photo of KRILO

KRILO

• 222 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Thanks Jan - even appreciating the intricacies involved in getting such a feature programmed across the spectrum of RingCentral platforms, etc., the key is this: WE WANT THE COMPANY TO TELL US IT IS WORKING ON THIS (and if possible some ETA for when we might see it).

I definitely agree. I have had several cases closed and changed to Feature Requests that are over two years old and 17 mos old respectively. I keep hoping for some indication they are even being worked on or considered. The 17 month old one is the Call Waiting feature on the iOS mobile app. I know that other VOIP providers have this mobile functionality so I know that it's not an iOS restriction.
Photo of Stephen Sotelo

Stephen Sotelo

Has anyone here tried 8x8 virtual office?  See: https://www.8x8.com/cloud-phone-systems/virtual-office-editions.  I wonder if this seemingly basic capability is available on that platform.  I may have to reach out to them and inquire.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 92,044 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Sorry for the frustration around this particular feature request.  Although this has been under discussion and consideration for quite some time now, our Product Team does not yet have this on the planned road-map.  We realize this can be quite frustrating but our product team receives hundreds of feature request from various sources and they do not have time to respond to every topic here on the Community.  We do share regular reports with them so they are quite informed as to what requests are being asked for.  Unfortunately due to the large number of requests, there's a complex elimination/selection process that they continuously go through.  Unfortunately there are items such as this one that continue to be placed on the waiting list. 

Mike 
Photo of Travis Tindal

Travis Tindal

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Law Firm, new to RingCentral. Several employees work with cases. Ability to share personal contacts is very important not only to this process but also for future marketing and quality follow-up calls. I hope that this item could be moved up on the priority list. It appears there are many users who have the same need.

Travis
Photo of Guy Smith FOAB

Guy Smith FOAB

Mike,

I have just spoken to our new account manager and I have been told that, because we have a basic account, there is no contact sharing available and that for Zapier solutions to work we need open API access.
Therefore we would need to go from a basic account costing £9/user/month to a Premium account at £19.

Can you  confirm this would work please?

• 43,376 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Guy, I would actually ask our Developer Community about the Zapier API and if it will work for your situation.
Photo of Len Rosen

Len Rosen

• 348 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
We are new to RC and have many admin assistants that access their supervisor’s outlook contacts folder by using delegates or sharing a folder . The RC windows app allows user to sync with only the default outlook folders and does no provide a selection option for shared, delegates , or sub folders. Definitely a product programming flaw/oversight that could be easily rectified
Photo of Arron Voce

Arron Voce

4 years and still no response from RC....
Photo of Guy Smith FOAB

Guy Smith FOAB

“Later this week, the Glip app will be renamed to the RingCentral app and will have a new icon. The app icon and name change will rollout for iOS and Android mobile apps and web client on August 16th followed by the desktop app on August 17th.“

Will this include contact list syncing?
Photo of GEORGE MKRTCHYAN

GEORGE MKRTCHYAN

• 708 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Lol, that was a good one Guy! I really needed that laugh.

• 43,092 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hey Guy, please see Ted's response to you on the other thread :)
Has anyone tried exporting another users contact list that they've created and then using that to import individually to everyone else in their company? Not sure if this solution has already been brought up or not but wanted to see if anyone else experienced some success using this workaround?
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 26,668 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Explain your end goal..  you have a good contact list as Personal contacts attached to a single user and you want to have thoes contacts available to everyone?

To use as speed dials?

Let us know what you are trying to accomplish

Thanks

Chuck 
Certified RC consultant.
Chuck@yoritguy.com
I have a user who has been keeping up a good contact list personally on her RC platform so she knows all of our clients that are calling her. Since her list is thorough and RC doesn't grant the ability to Share contacts or make a global contact list, shouldn't I be able to export her user list and have each of our members import that list to their own logins?
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 26,668 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Yes that will work, just keep to an update schedule.  Depending on the number of users should not be that bad to do once a month or so.  Depending on how many edits....  have the master exported and then the others import

Chuck
Photo of Len Rosen

Len Rosen

• 298 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This is a horrible solution. How do you handle it when you add another contact? Do you expect users to constantly export /import contact folders each time there is an edit ?
Photo of Len Rosen

Len Rosen

• 298 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
In our scenario, we need our assistants to be able to access their supervisors contact folder in real time. The assistants are the ones editing the contacts folder and they are delegates. RC does not allow their app to access sub folders
Photo of CIL2012

CIL2012

• 64 Points
I also think that this feature is very basic and very much needed ! 
The problem of downloading and importing is that obviously needs to be done all the time a new contact is added, someone asks to change their contact details, etc.
Please add this feature !!!

Photo of Keith Morrow

Keith Morrow

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Contact number should be saved in such a way that saved number is automatically v....

There should be a function where you can save your contacts and that should automatically displayed on other extensions. As per right now Admin saves the contact but it only get saved in personal and due to that when that saved number is calling again in future, the saved name is only visible to admin ext. So there should be an option by admin portal that if contact is saved then it should be automatically visible to other ext. as well. It is the basic function which should be there at any how. Please support my idea. Thank You.
Photo of BerksRunner

BerksRunner

• 238 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I think the only way to do this is to manually export from the main extension and then manually import to each of the extensions that need the info.
Photo of Gareth Davies

Gareth Davies

• 70 Points
There is another way; we are programming our way around it so that when a contact gets added to a list it is pushed to chosen users' ringcentral address books. i may share the solution with those who are willing to share the cost. 
(Edited)
Photo of Guy Smith FOAB

Guy Smith FOAB

Hi All,

I have just had a serial conversation with a salesperson a Vonage. He was convinced that RingCentral offered contact sharing using G-Suite and said that it is the simplest of things to do.
I have had conversations in the past with RingCental support and they say yes it must be available but eventually they realise its not.

When oh when are RC going to get their act together?
Photo of Gareth Davies

Gareth Davies

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Ok, so see if it works then report back?
Photo of Rahul Malhotra

Rahul Malhotra

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
The problem with G-Suite is that it is not HIPAA compliant.
Photo of Guy Smith FOAB

Guy Smith FOAB

I have just spoken to our new account manager and I have been told that, because we have a basic account, there is no contact sharing available and that for Zapier solutions to work we need open API access.
Therefore we would need to go from a basic account costing £9/user/month to a Premium account at £19.

Can anyone out there confirm this would work please?
Photo of Ansgar Garcia

Ansgar Garcia

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Personal Contacts update for all extension.

If we can create a way to update all the personal contacts of each extension at the same time so we can save time in doing this and it would be really helpful for others that needs to update the contact for each extension especially if they have more than 100 extensions