SMS: ability to text multiple numbers

• Idea
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Implemented
  • (Edited)
We would like to see an enhancement where you can create a group for use in blast text messages.  Today, you can send a text by selecting individual numbers or typing individual numbers.  However, we would like to see a Group selection be made available.  Where you can group multiple contacts in the group, select the group when creating a text and send.
Photo of Christine

Christine

• 570 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Steven Lewis

Steven Lewis

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Group Contacts - It would be good to able to text a group of people with one clic....

Group Contacts - It would be good to able to text a group of people with one click. Add multiple people into a specific group.
(Edited)
Photo of Allison Gaddy

Allison Gaddy

• 196 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Really need this for the real estate industry! Usually are dealing with a couple that needs to be notified. Would make my life so much easier! I hope you put this into place very soon! 
Photo of Garrett

Garrett

• 152 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Desperately need this feature (which is pretty common now a days with texting apps). SendHub has this feature
Photo of Kristi

Kristi

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Text threads to multiple numbers.

Ring Central needs to enable users to send text messages to multiple users as a group thread and have the responses come back as a group conversation thread without removing the other person(s) from the thread just as you do on your cell phone. If this cannot  be implemented we will have to look for a provider that can. It is very important to our clients and our growing business.
(Edited)
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,934 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
LIKE in the upper right corner if you would like to see this feature added! :-) 
Photo of Claudio (Customer)

Claudio (Customer)

• 14,130 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Thanks Kim!
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,934 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
This feature was added to Softphone & Mobile App's

Photo of DJ Service

DJ Service

• 144 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This feature is not on the version I have on either my phone or desktop. I still have to pick one person at a time which is very cumbersome. 
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 94,178 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
DJ Service,   It's normal to have to add the recipients one at a time. Unless maybe you are sending to the same set of people each time.  If they are all users in your account you can crate a group and send the SMS to the group name. 

Mike 
Photo of DJ Service

DJ Service

Thanks for your reply. I can send the same message up to 10 different contacts using my cell phone's default text program. I also can do it with a free texting app. I am surprised that the service I pay for does not have this feature. I respectfully disagree that it's normal having to add one recipient at a time. That has not been my experience with other options.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 94,178 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Is your issue with not being able to do this?  or just with the method of adding recipients?  Can you explain in more detail exactly what you are wanting?  Are you perhaps wanting to add large quantities of numbers for mass/bulk SMS'ing for marketing or other purposes? 

Mike 
Photo of DJ Service

DJ Service

I run a referral service for mobile DJs and receive last minute requests from clients all the time. I already have groups in my email allowing me to send a bcc email blast to DJs with one simple click. However email is not as responsive as texts. I am looking to do the same thing with texts. Choose a group and send the same message to everyone in that group without them seeing each others phone numbers or responses. The faster I can respond to a client the more events I book.
Photo of Garrett Luttman

Garrett Luttman

• 70 Points
Kim, thanks for the update but when you send out to individuals in your contact list (lets say your clients) you add them all to 1 message but it sends an individual text to each. Then if you have to do it again you have to reenter all the contacts again. We need to be able to send to a group repeatedly with ease.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 94,148 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Garrett,  If you haven't done so, you might want to consider creating groups. 
Groups Overview

Groups are generally used for creating departments within a business, or a call queue for call center environments etc, but, you can also create groups and send SMS messages to those individuals as well.  This way if you frequently message the same group of people, you just click the "+" sign and select the group name instead of the individual contacts. 

Mike 
(Edited)
Photo of Garrett Luttman

Garrett Luttman

• 70 Points
How do i go about doing this? I have ~10 groups already that are for the depts but in which category of groups (call queue, message only, park location, etc) would i place all my clients info? I'm using Ringcentral for my church and all the directors/pastors have an extension/group. So i would like to text all the church members at one time (about 100 numbers) and i have to do this 1-3 times a week.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 94,148 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Garrett,  Sorry, but it sounds like this won't work the way you need it to.  All of the church members would have to be Users in the account and in the Company directory, otherwise it won't maintain the "group" sms conversation.   We started a new "idea" topic for this. Please visit the following page and click the "like" button at the top of the page: SMS: Add ability to maintain group SMS messages when texting personal contacts.
(Edited)
Photo of BOWLEN

BOWLEN

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Mike, on the desk top RingCentral app under Contacts, it has a filter button, if each person or business could be added to a filter and we had the ability to create oour own filters we could set this function up as needed, ie; Filter #1 Family #2 Sales Customers 3# Church Members, 4# Employees ...  you get where i'm going? by setting this up in the decktop app filter we could select any filter group and send Texts as well as Emails to the selected filter group. The filter selection is already on the app.
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,914 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Bowlen -  I see you already created another feature request for that (Thank you!). Also see this one for Group SMS. 
Photo of Tracy

Tracy

• 252 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
It would also be helpful to text a group and have the function where the reply only comes back to us (the sender). I am a broker and send our clients trades ideas by text.  If someone wants to place a trade, I need a reply to only come back to me.  Right now I have to add each person every time.  This is very time consuming.  

It says the idea was "implemented" but I just confirmed this is still not possible today. Any updates?
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

• 16,778 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
This seems like its a good idea...lets make it happen
Photo of Mark A Caffey

Mark A Caffey

• 400 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I have been asking about such a feature for months and get no reply.   This is a feature all over the internet for sending sms txts.
Photo of Jeremiah Dalton

Jeremiah Dalton

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Text blast.

It would be great if we could put people into groups and then do blasts based on that group or send a text to everyone in your contacts for that matter
Photo of Katie Walton

Katie Walton

• 72 Points
Hopefully this feature will be added soon. We like RC other than not having this feature. We pay a lot for another system to do group messaging and would love to have it all in one. 
Photo of Mark A Caffey

Mark A Caffey

• 400 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Have you heard of a time frame for this feature?
Photo of Katie Walton

Katie Walton

• 72 Points
No. I was told a few months ago that it was "soon". But I continually follow up and no one has a date unfortunately. 
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

• 68,092 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hello Everyone, 

You can text multiple numbers (users) within the Company Directory. Now, if you are looking for more of a marketing type feature where you can upload outside numbers and send a SMS group "blast" please comment and vote on this request - SMS: Group Message

Now, this thread was created 3 years ago. Since that time we have made some enhancements to our product and many customers are finding that Glip is sufficing many of their needs since you can SMS with it and create groups, etc.  
Photo of Massage LuXe

Massage LuXe

• 138 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Textbox. I could no longer wait and moved on along time ago to using Textbox. Works very well and it is only $50 a month. It has paid for itself many times over for my business. Ring Central is very foolish for not adding this feature long, long ago. 
Photo of Jasmine M

Jasmine M, Employee

• 1,822 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
  1. Account type  : Office Premium 2-19 line [T1_RCO_2_P] [4513
  2. A brief description of the business : not discussed
  3. A high level description of the product or feature being requested: increase to receive notification via sms: customer can only add up to 5 numbers for sms to be sent to. Customer needs to add more numbers. 
  4. A typical use case scenario explaining how your business would use the feature: customer would receive voicemail and sms notification can be sent to more than 5 people. 
  5. Benefit of such feature: ease of use
  6. Include any related case number if applicable : 07074118 
  7. Number of Users and/or Digital Lines: 27 users / 17 digital lines