Creating phantom extensions

• Idea
  • Updated 3 months ago
I'd like to be able to create a user with a "phantom extension" meaning it can only be called from another extension, and does not need or have a DID # assigned.  But it would be able and allowed to make outgoing calls.  

The use for this is for smaller conference rooms and interview rooms that need to have a phone for someone to call out, but do not need to take "incoming" calls.  The extensions do not require VM either.  It's just an internal only extension, with outgoing call capabilities.
Photo of Chuck Marxen

Chuck Marxen

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 37,416 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
If the user is going to have "outgoing call capabilities" then they will need to have a digital line assigned to the extension to make calls from a desk phone, soft phone or the mobile app. No way around it.
Photo of Chuck Marxen

Chuck Marxen

Thanks for the reply.  I get that it is not that way currently, but to get RC to add that to the new features and build.  Most phone systems have that ability, why can't we do in 2019 what has been done for decades in PBX's?
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

I know of no phone system that lets you make outgoing calls without charging you for them, one way or another...even in legacy in-house PBXs.
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

On re-reading your idea,  if you are requesting an internal only extension then, by it's very definition it cannot have outgoing call capabilities. 
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 21,820 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

USA-based acct | 2287 Users | 3800 DID lines | 28 sites | all Polycom VVX500 phone handsets

I am pretty sure that is not how the RC system works, if you require Outgoing Calling capabilities, it requires an actual DID tied to it.   The DID does not have to be published - there is a thread here on how to hide extensions from the directory.

In our organization, we have about 200 phones provisioned as "courtesy phones" with no VM and we have incoming calls blocked.   We created a template to apply to all these lines. 

Your Customer Success manager or Account Rep could help you with this if you are unfamiliar with creating templates. Or you can open a Support Ticket and they would also assist.

Here are the settings we used in tour Common Area Phones without voicemail

Join our unofficial RingCentral Admins User Group
http://ringcentraladminusersgroup.org/index.html

Photo of Chuck Marxen

Chuck Marxen

Thanks Cecile.  We have limited extensions here that are similar, but they were cut over form the old system, and onto RC with #'s that were thought to be DID but are not.  So we will need to re-assign some DID's to get things back to normal for now.  
I created a new template, but the existing is probably fine since it's limited already with no VM.  The only thing I'd truly need to do is block incoming calls, and it stops that part.  I really just did not want to have a DID # when it's not needed.  Thank you!
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

• 24,750 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
It sounds like you may want a limited extension.  You can always have a rule to dump inbound calls somewhere like a greeting that does not take a message.

https://support.ringcentral.com/s/article/9232?language=en_US