Why is my custom hold music so distorted?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: We have archived this topic as it has either reached a resolution, has become inactive, or information contained in this thread is no longer accurate.  If you have questions or comments related to this to thread, please create a new topic, or post to anot

It is too loud and distorted. I tried adjusting the gain of the MP3 file itself and now it isn't deafening, but it is still very distorted.

Any help so my customers can hear the music I selected clearly?
Photo of Chris Mills

Chris Mills

• 210 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • sad

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Luigi Chincochento

Luigi Chincochento

• 706 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
@Ben Foster: What settings would you use when using Audacity, as these settings are not available. I know that 16-bit is the lowest available when using this program.

Please advise and thanks!

Luigi Chincochento

@Ben Foster: What settings would you use when using Audacity, as these settings are not available. I know that 16-bit is the lowest available when using this program.

Please advise and thanks!
Photo of Chris Mills

Chris Mills

I've come to the conclusion it is something on RC's end, even the selectable music comes through too loud and distorted. This is with the call volume on my phone turned all the way down.

Good luck Luigi, but I don't think you are going to find a solution on your end.

Ben, I do appreciate you coming into the conversation...might be worth you guys looking into...or at least give the user volume control.

Luigi Chincochento

I agree. It has to be. Ridiculous and such a waste of time.
Photo of Chris Mills

Chris Mills

I've come to the conclusion it is something on RC's end, even the selectable music comes through too loud and distorted. This is with the call volume on my phone turned all the way down.

Good luck Luigi, but I don't think you are going to find a solution on your end.

Ben, I do appreciate you coming into the conversation...might be worth you guys looking into...or at least give the user volume control.
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,736 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hey Chris, I have so many customers using the hold music and have not heard of complaints like this thread is speaking of. I do know that there is one hold music recording that is not so great but I have many that are perfect and I am able to adjust the volume with Audacity if needed

What phone are you using?

Chuck
Certified Ring Central Installer
ckfuscone@yahoo.com
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,736 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hey Chris, I have so many customers using the hold music and have not heard of complaints like this thread is speaking of. I do know that there is one hold music recording that is not so great but I have many that are perfect and I am able to adjust the volume with Audacity if needed

What phone are you using?

Chuck
Certified Ring Central Installer
ckfuscone@yahoo.com
Photo of Chris Mills

Chris Mills

Samsung Note II

Music selected was the Modern Jazz option.
Photo of Chris Mills

Chris Mills

Samsung Note II

Music selected was the Modern Jazz option.

Luigi Chincochento

I selected custom music and uploaded my own. I'm using the Cisco SPA 525G phone Chuck, and an iPhone 4S when calling to be placed on hold to check the sound quality. But I don't think this has any bearing on how the music is heard. It's distorted no matter what phone I call from and place on hold.

Luigi Chincochento

I selected custom music and uploaded my own. I'm using the Cisco SPA 525G phone Chuck, and an iPhone 4S when calling to be placed on hold to check the sound quality. But I don't think this has any bearing on how the music is heard. It's distorted no matter what phone I call from and place on hold.

Luigi Chincochento

Please update this thread to being UNSOLVED. It's NOT solved.
Photo of maymoon

maymoon

• 70 Points
the reason for this happening is that the quality of the audio is too high. you should set your audio to be mono, 8 bits, at 8kz. i used audio converter to convert the mp3's i have.
Photo of Chris Mills

Chris Mills

Hey maymoon, appreciate you giving your input, but we have tried that already. I even tried using the RC provided music and it still came through too loud and distorted...and that was with the call volume on my new Note 3 turned down as low as it will go.

I ended up just turning the on-hold music off. I'd rather my customers listen to nothing than have their ear drum blown out.
Photo of maymoon

maymoon

• 70 Points
it's too bad that there is no solution to this. have you tried creating the audio file on different computers and using different programs?

Luigi Chincochento

After a lot of trial and error, I think I have finally improved upon the issue.

I am using Audacity and exporting my music files as:

WAV (Microsoft) signed 16 bit PCM, Project Rate (Hz) 16000

I tried 8000 bit PCM and noticed a significant decrease in sound quality, therefore I won't use that setting.

I have not adusted the volume and it is better than the standard volume of pre-selected music on hold available on the RingCentral menu. I'm sure if I lowered the volume and spent more time tweaking the volume level, it may sound even better. But, I'm leaving it as is and finally happy with what I hear now compared to before.

You can download Audacity at: http://www.downloadinfo.co/lp/review/...

Make sure to also download the file which allows you to export as MP3. Just follow the instructions and you should be fine.

I hope this proves helpful to others.

Luigi Chincochento

Please update this thread to being UNSOLVED. It's NOT solved.
Photo of Collin Williams

Collin Williams

• 70 Points
Somebody please figure this out.
Photo of Collin Williams

Collin Williams

• 70 Points
I can't even get my MP3's to play... Just goes back to Acoustic.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.