Desktop App: Deauthorize Softphone on Exit (logout)

• Idea
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
  • (Edited)
Many people have a desktop at work and use a laptop while traveling or working from home, myself included.  If the softphone would deauthorize when exited I could use the softphone on my desktop at work and my laptop on the road or at home without needing to go through the tedious process of manually deauthorizing it each time.
Photo of Scott

Scott

• 1,384 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Marisa Kagan

Marisa Kagan

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This would be great especially for those who telecommute part of the week.
So tedious to deauthorize over and over again.
Photo of Alan Moran

Alan Moran

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
The de-authorisation and then re-authorisation of the softphone app is so so tedious. It is great to see so many other users feel the same way
Photo of Ian Summers

Ian Summers

• 74 Points
This is definitely something that needs to be implemented soon. We are just adopting this platform and this is a major hurdle for users especially on a VDI environment.    Please make this a priority.
Photo of Taylor

Taylor

• 2,232 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
I use multiple desktops and laptops on a weekly basis (3-5 usually). Having to de-authorize my app on the portal each time is a complete pain to do, so I end up having a colleague use their account if needed. This should be something that is at least available as an option, especially since it's not uncommon for people to have a desktop and laptop.
Photo of Jeff Salisbury

Jeff Salisbury, Champion

• 2,022 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
This is painful for me as well. There must be a reason that it isn't allowed - it would be super helpful if someone on the product team could comment and say "we can't do it because...." or "we heard you loud can clear and have this on our roadmap". It doesn't seem to be tied to revenue since there isn't an "additional softphone add-on license" (thankfully!).
Photo of Scott Cave

Scott Cave

• 60 Points
This continues to be a serious problem for me also.   I constantly shift between a desktop and laptop and need to seamlessly switch between using these devices within the RingCentral desktop app.  I can't believe this thread started two years ago with plenty of support and there has been no feedback from RingCentral to their customers on this issue.
Photo of Saadet - Community Moderator

Saadet - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 62,790 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey everyone, I understand your frustrations. Right now there is no ETA on this feature. However, I am personally working with the Product Team regarding our top most voted requests. If I learn more about this request, I'll update you all. We truly appreciate your feedback and use case scenarios. They're helpful!
Photo of Mike Gustavson

Mike Gustavson

• 1,260 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Saadet, any traction on this issue?

It doesn't have any recent RC team updates but clearly is a major frustration for a lot of people.

• 62,790 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Mike, not at this time. If that changes, I'll let you guys know!
Photo of RUMAGE

RUMAGE

• 72 Points
Hi Saadet, 
Mike is correct this is a MAJOR frustration.   I have been a customer for years and with the exception of this issue, I love the system.  

I am waiting out the remainder of my contract year to see if this issue is fixed.  Sadly, considering it's age,  I have no confidence that it will be. 

new year = new contract = new vendor

Photo of RUMAGE

RUMAGE

• 72 Points
Could we add a switch on the USER account,  That allows the SOFT PHONE to automatically deauthorize another device when/if needed.   The scenario would be.

Set the new switch at the user level "Automatic Soft Phone Deauthorization"  to TRUE

I use the soft phone at home on Computer A,  it is authorized as the first device
I use the soft phone at work from Desk computer,  it is authorized as a new device because the switch is set to TRUE, and first(previous) device is deauthorized. 

Whether I logout of Computer A or not,  it is deauthorized.  If that isn't sufficient security for Ring Central,  The soft phone app could be modified so that when it makes a routine poll (from the deauthorized computer) of the RC server,  it could be alerted whether it IS or IS NOT the authorized computer and log itself out as needed.

When the switch is set to FALSE (which would be the logical default setting) then the system would function exactly as it does today.

I am not sure why this is a hard concept or feature to implement.  It has been requested over and again. 
Photo of Alison G

Alison G

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled hot desking soft phones.

US Ring central account. we would like to have hot desking for soft phones so when you log in to the ring central soft phone app on a new computer it automatically logs you out of the old computer. then you do not have to log on to ring central account and disable device each time. 
Photo of mamerica

mamerica

• 488 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Just make it an option. A checkbox that say "Deauthorize when logging out"
That's my vote.
Photo of Dustin Arnett

Dustin Arnett

• 124 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
You have my vote on this as we do softphone hot desking in our callcenter. We cannot expect our call center agents to deauthorize as that is not their job when they switch computers. This feature was a no-brainer from day one. New login -> Question, softphone authorized on other computer, do you want to deauthorize and authorize this computer. (Yes/No) Bam, done.

Is there a better place to vote on this then in just this thread?

• 62,266 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Dustin, this is the place to vote for this feature :) I regularly send reports to our Product Team regarding the feedback you all submit!
Photo of Adrian Martin, MS

Adrian Martin, MS

• 116 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Then why doesn't your product team do something about this?  It seems to be a simple fix to such a basic but irksome problem, and the complaints about this have been going on for years.

• 62,266 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Adrian, I understand the frustration. I know it may seem like a "simple fix" but that's not always the case. If this feature does make it to the roadmap, I will be sure to let you all know :)
Photo of Mark Andrew

Mark Andrew

• 144 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
It is surprising to me that this feature hasn't been in place since the beginning, and even more incredible that it has been a point of discussion for years.

Frankly, I'm not even sure that it needs to be a question that the user is required to answer. Take a look at Zoom - when I'm logged in on one PC, then log in on second PC, it automatically logs the first one out when i sign in on the second. Why not just do the same thing? 
Photo of Adrian Martin, MS

Adrian Martin, MS

• 116 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Here’s another thought... one would imagine it would be possible to have more than one softphone logged in at once given that you can be logged in on the windows desktop softphone and the iOS app at the same time & they both ring with incoming calls and make outgoing calls too. The lack of attention on RC’s part to fixing all of this is unacceptable. I’m exploring other options.
Photo of Mark Andrew

Mark Andrew

• 144 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'm brand new to the RingCentral platform, but I do know that RingCentral "sees" the mobile clients (iOS/Android applications) differently than it does the soft phone and desk phones. This is evidenced in the fact that you cannot make a mobile client ring as part of virtual extension, as you can with a soft phone or desk phone. It is also evidenced by the fact that you can be logged into the mobile client on multiple mobile devices simultaneously. So, if it is possible on the mobile client, one would hope they can and will bring the same feature to the soft phone.
Photo of Dustin Arnett

Dustin Arnett

• 124 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Might want to also vote on this topic. It is mostly the same as this one, but has more votes.
https://community.ringcentral.com/ringcentral/topics/using-softphone-on-multiple-pcs
I don't know why they aren't merged. This one is 5th from the top of ideas, that high on the list you would think it is on some roadmap somewhere. Even though I doubt that will change Ringcentral's schedule by any means, we can at least get that one voted to the top.

Photo of john

john

• 312 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Or at the very least, have an ‘authorize button’ inside the app, to deauthorize any other pc and authorize this pc so you can direct dial-out. Many people have multiple computers at work and at home. For example, at home: 1 desktop in home-office (main floor) and 1 laptop in study-room (upstairs); at work: 1 laptop in office and 1 desktop in work-area. The person never logout or exit program...