Is anyone experiencing a delay when on a call using the softphone?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: We have archived this topic as it has either reached a resolution has become inactive, or information contained in this thread is no longer accurate. If you have a related question on this subject, please post a new topic.

Has anyone experienced a delay when speaking to someone using the Softphone application? I'm running the Mac version and at times, there seems to be a 3-5 second delay from when I speak to when the user hears the response. It makes it very difficult to hold a conversation.
Photo of Robert Hill

Robert Hill

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Alex Iliff

Alex Iliff

• 4,174 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
I haven't and I run the softphone at home and work...but when I previously did have issues with this, it was due to router config and not having the ports "triggered/forwarded" correctly for the softphone. Is there a chance that's an issue?
Photo of paul-e

paul-e

• 60 Points
Robert, I have had this issue (also on my mac (OSX 10.8.5) RC Softphone (6.00.050.00)) for years. I managed getting away with using another call controller (xlite) for some time, but it broke down after a few updates and I decided to give the RC Softphone another chance. I still have the delay issue. My newest finding has to do with bandwidth. I downgraded our bandwidth speeds through our ISP to see if I can get away with slower speeds (I couldn't at 3mbps) and am now back to 25mbps. During that time, I did not have the delay issue (just awful call quality). So, I am about to report this to the engineers and perhaps this will help them with this issue.

I'm in my home office so there are no simultaneous calls taking place. I've used RC's call quality tools and everything works fine, i.e. packet loss, etc. I wish I could get the same quality call as I do with Skype through the RC Softphone. My coworkers who are on PCs do not have this issue.
Photo of Ben Foster

Ben Foster, Alum

• 6,124 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi all - spoke to a product manager about this, and he suggested you change the bandwidth settings for the softphone in your online account. Go to Settings > Phone System > Phones & Devices and select the softphones with which you're having issues. By default, the bandwidth usage is set to High - change it to Low and see if that helps.

If you continue to experience audio delays, please open a new support ticket and request to be connected to our QoS support team. Thanks!
Photo of Andrew Orgel

Andrew Orgel

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thank you Ben.  Testing with these settings help me determine I was having local bandwidth limitations, which I was able to fix.
Photo of Thomas D

Thomas D

• 290 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
My situation is strange because we have a 20Mbps Fiber connection (20Mbps up and down) and some people on the network have a delay and some don't. I haven't been able to narrow it down.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 94,378 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.