Desk Phone Ring First

• Idea
  • Updated 7 months ago
Default setting for users with desk phones should be for the desk phone to ring first, I have found that no one is pleased when the app rings first, and then they have to wait 3 to 4 more rings (even on simultaneous) for the desk phone to ring.
Support told me this is not currently available.  Is this option in the pipeline?
Photo of ADIM Matt

ADIM Matt

• 260 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of Jeff Salisbury

Jeff Salisbury, Champion

• 2,082 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
This has been requested for years - anyone with a desk phone has the same complaint. My personal theory is that within RingCentral desk phones are not allowed, and consequently nobody on the development team sees this as a priority since they don't share the pain of having your mobile phone and desk phone both ringing at the same time, and having to wrestle with both when you get a call that you can't answer during a meeting.... :)
Photo of Shenay Hardeman

Shenay Hardeman

• 376 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
As much as it pains me to defend, I think you can reduce the amount of rings and disable that first app option

Photo of Jeff Salisbury

Jeff Salisbury, Champion

In my experience you can have the mobile and desk phones ring at the same time by setting the first ring option (Desktop & Mobile Apps) to 0 rings/0 seconds. You can also disable that first option so only the desk phone rings, but then your mobile app does not get the call like you would want away from the desk. The Holy Grail is to have the desk phone ring 4 or 5 times, and then if you don't answer to have it start ringing the Desktop & Mobile Apps. I would gladly buy a beverage to whoever figures out how to do that as built today.
Photo of ADIM Matt

ADIM Matt

• 260 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Both of those suggestions are correct, however that strategy requires the user to log in to the portal and change the call handling options multiple times each day (disable the app when they arrive to the office, re-enable the app when they leave/lunch/etc).  If we can just set the desk phone to ring first, the user never has to log in at all.
Ill pitch in for the beverage.
Photo of Matt Shank

Matt Shank

• 104 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have my desk and mobile set to ring at the same time. I never have to change it. If I’m at my desk, I pick it up at my desk. If I’m not at my desk, I pick it up on mobile. What would be the reason for changing the setting multiple times per day?
Photo of Jeff Salisbury

Jeff Salisbury, Champion

Matt - if you always answer your phone immediately that's probably okay, just annoying to have two devices ringing. If you didn't want to answer the call then it becomes cumbersome to silence both devices. I get a ton of cold sales calls everyday that I don't want to answer, or sometimes I am in a meeting in my office and can't answer.