DESKPHONE Do Not Disturb (DND) FEATURE

• Idea
  • Updated 4 months ago
Ability to see who's available or on DND status.  As calls come in to the Operator.  The Operator or individual transferring the call should know if the person is available.  The feature is available on the Polycom phones so this seems to be a software issue not currently being supported.
Photo of CARLOS HUERTA

CARLOS HUERTA

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Tim Smith

Tim Smith

• 272 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I 2nd this. My operator is currently nagging me about this feature. She is not happy that we switched from the crappy Mitel system we used to have because the Mitel system gave her far more features.
Photo of Gary Manske

Gary Manske

• 876 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
The Bridge Operator Console will give you the ability to see who is DND, Invisible, Busy, etc. Your operators can try is for 30 days at no cost. Just launch it from the link the app gallery: https://www.ringcentral.com/apps/bridge-operator-console
Photo of Telephone Bill

Telephone Bill

• 392 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

This functionality is easily handled at the endpoint if the DND button sends the call to the person's voice mail. That makes it easy for the console operator. I would advise against giving users a true "Don't bother me. . . I will not take your call!" option..
(Edited)
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 36,526 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I don't think that is the point the original poster (Carlos) is making. It's not a matter of whether the DND button is pushed "at the endpoint" (on the phone) but the ability for others to see their DND status...even when it is only activated on the user's device.
Photo of Tim Smith

Tim Smith

• 272 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
You may advise against it, but a true DND feature is desirable by many of us who would like to use it. The current DND button is really a "Silent" button that prevents my phone from ringing and sends the call directly to my voicemail. This is subtly different from Do Not Disturb. I am not disturbed in either case, but the caller is inconvenienced. If I had a true DND button, the operator could see that I'm not available and ask the caller if they would like my voicemail or if they would like to talk to someone else. If this difference is meaningless to you, why even bother with presence indication at all? That is if you're willing to blindly shunt a caller to voicemail when the desired person is on DND, why should it bother you to throw the caller into voicemail when someone is on the phone? 

BTW, I did the demo of the Bridge Operator Console. It is slick. If we were transitioning to RingCentral today, I would recommend to my boss that we ditch desk phones and use BOC instead.