Softphone crash after Windows update (Resolved)

• Problem
  • Updated 9 months ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Issue Resolved

A recent Microsoft update to the 32-bit Microsoft Office 2016 created a condition which can crash the RingCentral desktop application during the login. If you have experienced such a crash, please uninstall the desktop app and install the version 9.1.6.

Please note, version 
9.1.6 is a stable solution.

If you'd like to receive Community updates on this matter, please click the "Follow" button at the top of this page and we'll post updates as information becomes available.

Thank you!

Mike
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 90,778 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

I have 64 bit Microsoft Windows 10 computer, and was getting an alert prompting me that the program was going to close because a problem had occurred. I have installed the fix and it has resolved the issue, but I don't understand why the fix specifies 32-bit, when I have a 64 bit computer and encountered the same issue? -Allison 
Photo of Jessy Dorland

Jessy Dorland

• 84 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Microsoft offers their Office software in 32bit and 64bit versions. Even though you may have a 64bit operating system, it appears you have the 32bit version of Office.  This is common because Microsoft recommends the 32bit version of Office as it is more compatible with most other applications.
(Edited)
Photo of HD Drennan

HD Drennan

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Hi. So Im running windows 10 64bit (both sides) and the "fix" did not work. I tried both installing straight to 9.1.6 and installing 1.9.4 first then "updating" to 9.1.6. It will not open. gets stuck at opening the app and says "program not responding." 
Photo of HD Drennan

HD Drennan

and yes I uninstalled and restarted at each point...
Photo of Nick

Nick

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Jessy is correct. Your OS is 64 bit but your Office is 32bit being thats what microsoft recommends for compatibility reasons.
Photo of Nick

Nick

HD, is windows updated on the machine in question?
Photo of HD Drennan

HD Drennan

updated as of last week when this problem started
Photo of Nick

Nick

Try one more time.

Do a full uninstall of the ring central application. Then, open a browser and copy and paste the following into your URL bar.
http://downloads.ringcentral.com/sp/RingCentralForWindows-9.1.6.msi?_ga=2.222947038.414746928.149970...
Photo of Nick

Nick

Try one more time.

Do a full uninstall of the ring central application. Then, open a browser and copy and paste the following into your URL bar.
http://downloads.ringcentral.com/sp/RingCentralForWindows-9.1.6.msi?_ga=2.222947038.414746928.149970...
Photo of Deanne Monson

Deanne Monson

• 70 Points
I can't uninstall the program.  It won't let me.
Photo of Deanne Monson

Deanne Monson

• 70 Points
When I try to repair I get a Fatal Error Message.
Photo of Chris Lovett

Chris Lovett

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Deanne, are you getting a specific error message when you attempt an uninstall?
Photo of Cesar Pineda

Cesar Pineda

• 60 Points
My co-worker had the same issue today in the morning and it solved the issue. I just uninstalled and reinstalled RC but I haven't done any Microsoft updates. The issue happened spontaneously. The soft phone was ringing and after it finished it happened and I'm also using 64 bit. I don't think is a Microsoft issue. 
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 90,444 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Cesar,  Is your OS 64 bit, or your version of Office 64 bit?  There's some confusion occurring on this matter.  This affects users with 32 bit Office, which can run on both 32 & 64 bit machines.

Mike
Photo of Lachance

Lachance

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Ringcentral for windows stopped working.

Ringcentral for windows stopped working - how to we fix this?

Issue started to manifest on July 4th and I was running the latest version 9.1.2.27093 on Windows 10
Photo of Chris Lovett

Chris Lovett

This solution (9.1.4) has worked for me thus far. But I ran into an access denied error when the msi installer was trying to write to the RingCentral folder in AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. I used an application called Give Me Power (runs application as system) in order to get through it, but reviewing that folder just now, I was unable to see the RingCentral folder there. I have all variety of view options enabled (hidden/system) so I don't think it is my folder search or view settings that are keeping it out of sight. So long as it works, and I can get back to work, I think that's the most important part. Thank you for posting this!
Photo of Chris Lovett

Chris Lovett

(Offtopic: There is a time limit to edit posts?)
Wanted to clarify for the sake of anyone reading this to come after me.
My workaround for the access denied error (running the msi installer as system), while it IS working, is one I don't recommend. Took me a minute to realize why I couldn't see the RingCentral folder installed where I anticipated it would be, and, of course, it's not there because it was being run by a different 'user' account, because of my workaround. I don't know if it is going to end up causing me any issues down the road to have the AppData/Roaming... etc information stored in the SystemProfile user folder, but because of that uncertainty I don't want anyone to get the impression that I suggest they follow my lead. :) I just know I needed to be able to answer phones today and using my cell for these work calls isn't acceptable.
Photo of Emily Henson

Emily Henson

• 60 Points
This solution has worked for me, thank you! Is there a way to turn off automatic updates moving forward? I always have issues for a few days after each update.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Emily,  There's a way, but we won't post instructions here on the Community as it his highly recommended to NOT turn off the update notifications this will cause problems in the future.  Also, this fix that was just released is temporary and we hope to have the final fix available in a few days. 

Mike
Photo of Marc Napoleon

Marc Napoleon

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled App won't open.

my ringcentral app doesnt want to open 
when i try to open it. it says;: a problem caused the program to stop working correctly. windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is avaible. what i should i do in that case?

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Desktop App: not refreshing.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Marc,  see instructions at the top of this thread.  Let us know if you still have problems after installing the new version.

Mike
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Official Response
Update - 7/7/17:  For more clarity we want to let you know that the recent crash issue is not isolated to the 9.1.2 RingCentral release. It may include other recent versions as well. The crash issue began after a Windows update affecting various versions of the RingCentral Desktop App.
Photo of Brad

Brad

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled The cabinet file 'softphone.cab' required for this installation is corrupt ..

I have windows 10 and after I tried launching the RingCentral desktop app, I get a force close. So, I uninstalled and tried reinstalling. Then I get this error: The cabinet file 'softphone.cab' required for this installation is corrupt. 

Help! 
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 90,586 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Brad,  try the download link in the main topic above.  Let us know if you still have problems.

Mike
Photo of Brad

Brad

Still having problems and same error even after uninstall and reinstall with current version. Help!
Photo of Saadet - Community Support

Saadet - Community Support, Official Rep

• 35,398 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hello Brad, I would suggest contacting support and providing them with a screen shot of this error message.
Photo of Lachance

Lachance

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
So far the 9.1.4 workaround seems to work. I wished we had it 3 days ago :)
Photo of Melanie Miraflor

Melanie Miraflor

• 60 Points
I am trying to install version 9.1.6. But after it open to a new tab, it says the page cannot be displayed. Why? What to do?
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Official Response
7/10/2017 Update:  For those following this thread, the stable release/fix is now available.  If you've installed v 9.1.4, you can now upgrade to version 9.1.6.

Thanks!

Mike

See Related Article:  RingCentral Windows Desktop app crashing after updating to 9.1.2 
(Edited)
Photo of Kolby Davis

Kolby Davis

• 320 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
After Updating to 9.1.6.27106  The Command window opens on start of RC and if you close it it will quite the RC app. 
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Hi Kolby,

Are you still having problems with this?  Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall again?

Mike
Photo of Kolby Davis

Kolby Davis

Yes, I did uninstall and reinstall and checked for any lingering folders and reg entries after uninstall. 
Photo of Kolby Davis

Kolby Davis

Fixed there where some config files hiding the %user%App data/Ring Central 
Photo of Brad

Brad

How did you access that? Mine still won't install and same error. 
Photo of Jmatt

Jmatt

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I was wondering what was going on.  I had to reload a system with a new hard drive and encountered this.  I figured I would put it away until today, and then I saw this.

However - why isn't this notification blasted in the Admin portal?  I don't look at my extension, which is where one of my end users found it and notified me.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Hello Jmatt, 

We did announce the original update for 9.1.4 in the portal.  So anyone who would have updated to 9.1.4 manually, will automatically get the new 9.1.6 update notification in the desktop app when logging in. So anybody that needs it will get it that way.

Mike
Photo of Jmatt

Jmatt

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I never saw the 9.1.4 announcement - although I've only been on this platform since May 1.

However, critical issues such as an app crash fix should really be announced in the Admin Portal as well.  Just my humble opinion.

** Note: If the tone of my message is a bit blunt, I apologize.  I am sincerely giving an suggestion to help all administrators.  Nothing more.
Photo of Shafeeq Sadiq

Shafeeq Sadiq

Mike, I updated using your link and the new application still doesn't allow me to access sent and received faxes. 
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Please reference the new conversation here: Deskktop App doesn't allow me to access sent and received faxes
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 14,712 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Changelog notes on the new RingCentral Desktop for Windows update 9.1.6.27106 fr....

07-10-2017 US Based account presently at 2060 users. We received a push notification to update the RingCentral Desktop for Windows again today from version  9.1.2.27093  to version 9.1.6.27106  this morning.  Is there a changelog available on this update so we know what was addressed with it for our users?
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Hi Cecile,   We don't have a specific change log for this. Just to provide some clarity.....9.1.4 and 9.1.6 were not planned releases.  9.1.4 was pushed out to compensate for a problem which came up when Microsoft pushed out their Office update.  Office users with 32 bit versions started getting softphone crashes when logging into their softphones.  Our engineers quickly pushed out 9.1.4 to fix this issue so that users could get up and running.  This release was temporary as we knew it would break the Outlook integration, which is why we are now releasing 9.1.6 as the new/stable version.  

Our next scheduled release will be 9.2 which users will start getting notifications on starting in just a few days and occurring over the next few weeks as we always do a controlled roll-out.

Mike
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 14,712 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Thanks Mike - that was the clarification I was looking for, I was being queried on why we have another RC for Windows update so quickly on the heels of the recent 9.1.2 and whether or not they "had" to install the new update. Of course, I just said "yes!"   Will we have any advance users-notice on the 9.2 release when they are making  a user's account part of the controlled rollout?
Photo of Jeanine Thomas

Jeanine Thomas

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Simple fix and it worked. Thanks!
Photo of John Gojuk

John Gojuk

• 188 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Brand new customer. I only ever used the 9.1.6 release. When Ringcentral is running, outlook is so slow and choppy it's unusable at times. If i kill the Ringcentral app, Outlook is just fine again. In the process of determining if it's just the Outlook contact sync that's doing it. (I think it is) 

Update - It was the "Join Now" functionality. My outlook is configured to not automatically mark messages as read. When manually marking a message read there is a 2-3 second freeze now. So as I go along marking 4 or 5 messages as read, outlook becomes totally unresponsive. I click through lots of things very quickly all the time, so pausing, freezing and being unresponsive is an issue. Things seem much better with "Join Now" disabled. 
(Edited)
Photo of Troy Nguyen

Troy Nguyen

• 70 Points
it said it needs phonedata.xml file in appdata, try to install 9.1.6 but the problem is the same, crash everytime I try to open it. 

Hello Troy,

Try manually and completely deleting the old version of the app and then the path to the app data folder before installing 9.1.6. Let us know if that works!
Photo of Troy Nguyen

Troy Nguyen

• 70 Points

we uninstall and delete that folder, after that we reinstall it, but it still has the same issue. As you can see,  "phonedata.xml" is there, but ringcentral cannot find it. 

Hmmm....I'm going to do some research and see what that may be. Have you opened up a case yet regarding this?

Could you check which value in register has key INSTALLFOLDER for the path below?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\RingCentral\RingCentral for Windows\Install
 -or-
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\RingCentral\RingCentral for Windows\Install

It should contain the correct path to RC SP installation directory and has the softphone.exe file in it.

For Instance - C:\Program Files (x86)\RingCentral\SoftPhoneApp

or

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\RingCentral\SoftPhoneApp

Let me know if that helps/makes sense! :)
Photo of Ken Tran

Ken Tran

• 66 Points

We checked the registry. It has a key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\RingCentral\RingCentral for Windows\Install\INSTALLFOLDER

with the correct value C:\Users\trung.tran\AppData\Local\RingCentral\SoftPhoneApp\

(pointing to the installed directory)

However, the softphone still crashes during start up.

Another question: what does it do when we click on the auto submit crash report button? Would that open a case for us?

Thanks

Hi Ken,

Regarding your question: the auto submit crash report doesn't create a case for you but if you submit feedback via the softphone, that will create a case on your behalf.

I would suggest you both open up a case so we can get samples, etc. and see if we can get to the bottom of this.
(Edited)
Photo of Judy Blumhorst

Judy Blumhorst

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I downloaded  version 9.1.6.  and  the Softphone is working properly again. 
Photo of Anna Anastasov

Anna Anastasov

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Desktop app crashing.

I uninstalled the 9.1.2 version and installed 9.1.6.27106 and the app is still crashing. I am running Windows 7 professional OS and it was updated on 7/12.  Any suggestions?

Hello Anna,

I would suggest opening up a case with us and including the information that is within the crash report box. That will help us a lot with troubleshooting :)

Photo of Brian H.

Brian H.

• 554 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Version 9.1.6 is stable, but we're running into issues on multiple desktops when it comes to using print to fax. The drivers are missing and/or Windows isn't recognizing RingCentral as a print source. This has been an ongoing issue for us with all of the 9.x updates. I'm currently using 8.4.5.25218 and everything is working as expected. When previously attempting to resolve this manually assigning the drivers didn't work.
Photo of Benito

Benito

• 514 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Brian, in the 9.x versions, the option to install the RingCentral Fax Printer is in the Desktop App's settings, located in the Messaging section.
Photo of Ben Ostrowsky

Ben Ostrowsky

• 312 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
We've been using 8.4.5 on PCs that have 10–20 different users, so we don't have to install it once per user. What would you recommend to solve the problem for us? Thanks!
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Hi Ben,  Can you clarify the problem you are having?  Are you having an issue installing the latest softphone?  You don't have to install it once per use, but you will have to install it once per machine.

Mike
Photo of Tommy Figgs

Tommy Figgs

• 60 Points
Problem not resolved. still crashing (not starting) on windows 7 pro 64bit

Problem: !hIcon.pixmap( 16, 16 ).isNull()

Hello Tommy,

Please contact support and provide the crash report and debug logs so that we can assist you. Thanks!
Photo of Kris Wolton

Kris Wolton, Champion

• 488 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I am still having the app crash several times a day on 9.1.6. Sometimes it will simply crash when i answer a call. I don't have a desk phone, this is my only phone. It's very frustrating and embarrassing when i have to call customers back on my mobile. I have had a support case open for a month and still no news. Please resolve these issues. I have rolled back to 9.1.4 to see if that is any better.

Hello Kris,

What is your case number so we can follow up?
Photo of Kris Wolton

Kris Wolton, Champion

Hi,

The case number is 05997864. It is very annoying as i don't have a desk phone and often work from home. I have chased it several times and the call has been open for 6 weeks with no updates.

The App will randomly crash, either when im on the phone or when i open the app. I have downgraded to an earlier version, re-installed the app several times and in desperation reloaded my PC.

Kris

Hello Kris,

The 9.2 version of the softphone is now available. Have you upgraded to that one yet?
Photo of Kris Wolton

Kris Wolton, Champion

Hi,

I'm on 9.1.6. When i go on to check for updates it tells me i'm on the latest version?

This has been 2 months now and my app still crashes constantly. It's hopeless.

Kris

Hey Kris,

Please go to our website and download the newest version. 
Photo of Kris Wolton

Kris Wolton, Champion

Hi,

I installed the latest version, all was well for about an hour, then it crashed.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Hi Kris,  I took a look at your case and reviewed the notes from our Tier 3 engineers. It looks like you are using a Mac w/Bootcamp and Win10, which they've commented isn't supported.  Although they've escalated the case to our engineering team we don't have an ETA for your case.  

I'm not sure if it will help, but you might want to try rolling back to an even older version (not usually recommended), but you have a unique circumstance where it might be worth a try.

Download the 8.0.6 version from the links below:
MAC: http://downloads.ringcentral.com/sp/RingCentralForMac-8.0.6.dmg 
WIN: http://downloads.ringcentral.com/sp/RingCentralForWindows-8.0.6.msi 

Also if you are using a Mac.. is there any reason you don't run the Mac version of RingCentral for Desktlop?
Photo of Kris Wolton

Kris Wolton, Champion

Hi,

Thanks for the update. the reason i use BootCamp is because i work in IT and have to use both Windows and OSX. The problem is you only allow us to install one instance of RC at a time and it's simply too much hassle to deactivate the license and re license it (please fix this, most other VOIP providers allow you to have more then one)!

I have always used boot camp and to be honest all was well for a couple of years until the last few updates. I think you will find that a lot of people use BootCamp, certainly i deal with several clients that do so it may be worth looking at supporting it. In essence it's just a normal install of Windows with the Mac drivers added (which are just standard Intel drivers mostly).

I hate stepping backwards, but will give it a go. i gave my desk phone away so this is my only phone now, so it's really, really annoying that it will just randomly crash (sometimes mid call)! I find it hard to recommend RC to my customers anymore as i cannot endorse a product that i cannot use!

Kris
Photo of Kris Wolton

Kris Wolton, Champion

PS - I have not heard anything back from support on this. They will not reply to my emails, your the first person to tell me a fix is not being worked on and i should revert back to an old version.
Photo of Kris Wolton

Kris Wolton, Champion

I have installed 8.4.5 as it says 8.0.6 has a security flaw and will not let me run it. I will run this and let you know how it goes.

Please keep me updated if the Dev team come up with anything.
Photo of Kris Wolton

Kris Wolton, Champion

I'm afraid it still crashes. This morning it crashed the second i turned my plantronics headset on. But it can happen randomly as well.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

You'll probably want to updated to the latest version then to assure you have the latest features. Since your case has been escalated you'll be notified when a fix is released. 

Mike 
Photo of Blackmore

Blackmore

• 60 Points
Desktop APP 9.1.6 will not run, it crashes immediately after sign in.
Windows 10 V: 1703
I have uninstalled/re installed many times and no change in behavior.

Is there a Support phone number to call to get assistance?

Hello Blackmore,

You can contact support by either calling in or opening up a case. Our main support line number is 888-898-4591 
Photo of Brian Mintz

Brian Mintz

• 60 Points
considering the latest version is 9.2 something, I don't know if it is appropriate to say this issue is resolved. Seems more like a band-aid until your latest version supports the latest version of Windows. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.