Enable n11 Calls (311)

• Idea
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Not Planned
  • (Edited)
Allow users to make 311 calls.  In most cities and municipalities this is the only way to get in touch with the different agencies that are available to the public.  This is huge in New York City, where we are located:

http://www1.nyc.gov/311/index.page
Photo of E. Pena

E. Pena

• 928 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Rob Benn-Frenette

Rob Benn-Frenette, Champion

• 4,860 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
I am not sure VoIP could connect to that - as its an analog thing
Photo of E. Pena

E. Pena

• 928 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the reply, Rob. I cab dial 311 from my cell phone (Verizon Wireless) and I get NYC 311 without any problems.
Photo of Rob Benn-Frenette

Rob Benn-Frenette, Champion

• 4,860 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
I'm in Canada, so its a bit different here.
Photo of Stephen

Stephen

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We are an NYC architecture firm, that interfaces with many NYC agencies and departments.  Many of these city departments require you to dial into 311 to perform critical functions.  For example dialing into 311 is required to schedule a building inspection appointment.  In addition to being a great service to New Yorkers 311 is critical to our business.  RingCentral please add support for 311
Photo of Tim Vanderford

Tim Vanderford

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
The municipality I'm in (in Canada) also uses 311 and I just figured out I can't call it. So I guess the answer for now is call with my cell phone.
Photo of Ronda

Ronda

• 364 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Unable to call 311.

I am unable to call '311'. When I do, the message states " I'm sorry, you entered an incorrect extension ". I am not trying to call an extension...I am trying to call for information and access to City Services.
This is very annoying as I need to call that number numerous times a week and have been using my personal cell phone (which I don't get reimbursed for). I have contacted 'Support chat' and was told that it is not supported 'yet' and to come to the community to state the issue. When I first searched for other conversations on this, I noticed that it was mentioned over 9 months ago. This issue needs to be dealt with in a timely fashion! Customers can and will be lost due to the many inconsistencies.
(Edited)
Photo of Ronda

Ronda

WOW 6 months since I posted this and another 9 months since the issue was first mentioned on here....sure takes a lot of time for something to be figured out for this
Photo of cevans

cevans, Champion

• 504 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
VOTE and Follow this topic to increase the odds of RingCentral adding this feature (they often look to engineer the most popular "Idea" posts first).

The only N11 numbers that work on our Ring Central phones are 911 and 411. Other local (state / area code specific) features like 311 and 811 don't work.

It's best not to use 411 since it incurs a $25.00 charge on our account - the actual cost is $1 per call, but RingCentral charges this like an overage penalty or an international call in a lump sum of $20 (+ $4.95 taxes / processing fees).

I added a suggestion like this in January of 2015 and it's been merged into this one, since it was redundant.

We use 811 a lot, and we can call around, but it's annoying. Even if the account administrator had to set up which N11 area to be in, it would be an important feature.
(Edited)
Photo of cevans

cevans, Champion

• 504 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
It would also be nice if unresolved items in other categories (like Question) could be combined with Ideas as feature requests to minimize redundancy and better reflect how many users want a particular feature.

My original text doesn't show in this thread (since it was merged with a different thread which was then merged with this thread), so I've copied and pasted it below:
Please add local N11 calling capability
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Please add local N11 calling capability.

In certain areas within states services like 311, 211 and other N11 numbers are available (like the 811 call-before-you-dig service in Illinois), but we cannot call these on our RingCentral IP phones. This would be a nice feature to add.
(Edited)
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 90,536 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi cevans,  We do perform regular maintenance here on the Community, and it is indeed normal practice to merge like questions and ideas into a single topic. When we do this, it automatically increases the "like" count.  We try to consolidate as many threads as possible so our Product Team gets a better feel for the true demand. 

Thanks
Mike 
Photo of Vince Savoldi

Vince Savoldi, Champion

• 1,000 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

One way to do this would be to program an extension as 311 that then dials out to the full 10 digit number. While I do not know for sure I would bet that even the 311 service has a alternate 10 digit number. Perhaps because it is a extension the simple 3 digit dial out it might work.

Would be interesting to know!

Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 90,988 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The RingCentral system won't allow you to enter any "X11 extensions.  If you attempt to add one you'll get this message: 

Photo of Vince Savoldi

Vince Savoldi, Champion

ahhh bummer.... I was hoping that would work for the guy.
Photo of Vince Savoldi

Vince Savoldi, Champion

I wonder, you might be able to create an extension say 3333 that then dials out 311?

Photo of Ronda

Ronda

I am wondering if anyone has gotten on this. I have had to make numerous 311 calls from my cell (which I stated before-I don't get reimbursed for it) for work. This is getting extremely annoying and costly.
Photo of Greta Anderson

Greta Anderson

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Please enable 311.

Please enable 311 calls.
(Edited)
Photo of Ronda

Ronda

Hello all,
I was just told that this needs more "Likes" for the crew to get on it faster....so if you know anyone...please ask them to like this conversation. Also, I was just told that this was first asked about in 2014...2 years in the making :(
Photo of Doug Casey

Doug Casey

• 524 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
It just seems strange to me that customers that would like change and improvements need to crowd source for people with problems with the system to get changes made.
Photo of Dan Sanguinetti

Dan Sanguinetti

• 144 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Please add support for all N11 numbers.

My clients use 211, 311 and 411 for their services. Right now only 411 is supported. We really need to have 211 and 311 supported in the Ring Central phone system to allow us to service clients. If this cannot be done we need to know, and the N11 numbers should be allowed as extensions so we can forward calls directed to N11 numbers off to the full 10 digit numbers they correspond to. Thank you.
Photo of Samuel Chou

Samuel Chou

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We are a construction company spanning multiple states, and use 811 to call for locates on dig sites. I think it's very foolish to restrict usage of n11 numbers to an extension, and yet still not have them be used in their intended function.
Photo of Workforce

Workforce

• 134 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Allow configuration of n11 destinations.

Account type: US

Our clients need access to the local 211 and although a direct number is available people often dial the 211 shortcut, which leads to confusion.

Would it be possible to add a feature that would allow administrators to customize the destination of common local n11 numbers?

Thank you
Photo of Receptionist Phone

Receptionist Phone

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
In Kansas City, MO our church needs to be able to call 311 to access most city services.  Would appreciate a work-around which would enable us to do this via our Ring Central phones.  Thanks.
Photo of Saadet - Community Support

Saadet - Community Support, Official Rep

• 35,386 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Sorry, Reception Phone :( I don't know of any work-around for this....

Maybe if you Flipped the Call to your Cell Phone?
Photo of Logan Whiteway

Logan Whiteway

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Just adding to the thread that we need this function as well. It is sad that RingCentral does not support calling n11 numbers for city services. =,(
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

• 20,396 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
All, for 311 at least, it is a regional/city specific service and I imagine it would be difficult at best for RingCentral to know where to direct your call without establishing a process like 911 address registration.

That said, A quick Google search reveals alternate 10 digit numbers for 311 in various places like San Francisco and New York.  

So- you could build an extension 311 and forward it to the alternate number you desire to get this functionality if you really need it.
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

It looks like 811 is just pg&e at 1-800-227-2600 and 211 is similar to 311 so you should be able to find a local alternate number and do like I suggested for 311.
Photo of Rob LaRose

Rob LaRose, Champion

• 2,008 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Brandon, correct on all counts (though as a phone service, they really should go ahead and commit the resources to mapping municipal services like this).

Except you're not allowed to create your own 311 extension.

::Sad Trombone::

Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

• 20,222 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
True.  I guess the best workaround I can think of would be like 9311, 9211 and 9811.  It should be possible to create those extensions, I hope.
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

sorry 811 is not connected to pg&e, but I found a page where you can find an alternate number to 811 for each state: http://call811.com/map-page/california