Fax: Provide a customized automatic method to Purge Faxes.

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • (Edited)
Right now our Fax line receives about 600 Faxes a month.  After 200 faxes the line stops working.  Anyone of these solutions would work for us to fix this issue without having to manually monitor the inbox or manually deleting them after so many days.

1. Let us choose the retention date (1-30 days)
2. Automatically delete the oldest fax to allow for new faxes to continue to be received.
3. Increase the fax line limit (temporary solution until 1 or 2 are implemented)
4. Allow rule that once the fax has been read or forwarded to be deleted.

The goal is to have certain settings in place so that we don't have to manually monitor lines.
Photo of Chris Verdin

Chris Verdin, Champion

• 2,748 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
  • Frustrated

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of I_Use_RingCentral

I_Use_RingCentral

• 174 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Is this really true?  Support told me, through a ticket, that it auto-deletes at 200 emails so you never have to do anything.
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,110 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Check out the current limits here.

I_Use_RingCentral

Hi Kim, that's not really the issue here.  *WHEN* does it auto-delete?  If you get to 200 faxes, and another fax comes in ... does it reject that fax and then sometime later delete 1 fax so there is 199 faxes?  Or does it immediately delete a fax so the next one can come in?  The other comments here seem to indicate that the auto-delete does not work as well as expected.

I_Use_RingCentral

Oops, link should have been https://success.ringcentral.com/articles/en_US/RC_Knowledge_Article/2178 which shows a different set of current limits.
(Edited)
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 90,988 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The page you have referenced from the RingCentral Knowledge base is the most current. The page that Kim linked to above has been updated to reflect the change. Thanks for letting us know.

Mike 
(Edited)
Photo of Chris Verdin

Chris Verdin, Champion

From our experience the 200 faxes does delete automatically but it is on a schedule.  So when you hit 200 they are not deleted immediately.  We've had issues where faxes could not be sent to us until we deleted some faxes to bring the number below 200. 

We also made it so that we are notified via email when a fax arrives and that it marks the fax as read.  This helped a bit more with deleting faxes once we hit 200.  Although we still from time to time run into an issue where it faxes will not come in because we are near or at 200.  The only solution so far was to manually go in every 2 weeks and clear out the faxes older than a few days.  By doing this and never getting near 200 faxes in our inbox we have not had any issues.  This solution requires manually deleting faxes.  So if you expect to hit 200 faxes within 30 days you will have to clear them out manually on your own to avoid users not being to send you faxes.

This all from my experience.  we have a running log of all the times we've had issues and the only true solution was making sure never hit 200 faxes.

I_Use_RingCentral

So, based on what you are saying, once you hit 200 faxes, then the system will delete "1" fax every so often (on a schedule).  If so, that is really bad and it won't matter if you hit 200 faxes in 1 day or 1 year, since once you reach 200, you can no longer receive the next fax until that next schedule arrives, and then you can receive 1 fax, and then you can no longer receive the next fax until that next schedule arrives, and then you can receive 1. If so, that really needs to be addressed and the time frame that it takes to get to 200 faxes won't really matter.   Is that about right?  
Photo of Chris Verdin

Chris Verdin, Champion

I can't be certain that it only deletes 1 but for the most part it would appear that way since having it automatically purge still caused issues when users tried to fax us. 

Now, by having the notification email when a fax arrived and setting it to mark it as read when it sent the email did help.  It didn't fix the issue but it helped. 

If you expect to hit 200 faxes pretty regularly I would suggest manually clearing them out every so often. 

I_Use_RingCentral

That is a problem.   We are just starting with RingCentral, but we are using it as a fax-to-email.  We cannot have someone login and delete stuff.  It needs to simply work, without anyone ever logging in, EVER.  

I_Use_RingCentral

At least Support somewhat acknowledges that this is a problem:

Me: ...the auto-delete does not happen often enough and therefore causes rejected faxes while waiting for the deletion schedule to delete older faxes.

Chat: I understand that and that cant be helped since like I have said its not strictly enforced by the system and we do not have any way to correct that