Feature Request: Glip / RingCentral App - Align Outbound Caller ID to Match RC Phone & Desktop Configuration

• Idea
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
  • Planned
  • (Edited)
  1. Account Type: RingCentral USA
  2. Business: Insurance Agency
  3. High Level Description: Glip Oubtound Caller ID on Texts to Match RingCentral Outbound Caller ID on Texts
  4. Use Case: I configured RingCentral to show my main company number for outbound texts, not my direct line. I want that to also hold true in the unification with Glip app.
  5. Benefits: If the rules are valuable enough to be made available and configured in RC they should be valuable enough to be honored in Glip - otherwise our contacts become confused by unknown numbers showing up in new texts that should be direct replies to their inbound text to us.
  6. Case #: 07631228 
  7. Users/Lines: 2 Users (& growing) with Direct Lines + 1 Virtual Main #
Photo of Talanton_Insurance

Talanton_Insurance

• 626 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
  • Disappointed and frustrated

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Jason Spindler

Jason Spindler

• 838 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Outbound caller ID when texting from Glip.

Account type: US; business type: legal practice; 4 users

Seems like an easy feature that Ring Central could enable.  I want to be able to text from Glip with the outbound caller ID displaying as coming from my main office number.  In other words, I want to be able to change the settings so that all recipients of my SMS see my main office number, not some crazy number that I do not want them to have.  This can be done in RC Phone app but not in Glip.  Makes no sense.  This needs to be made available immediately.  

Talanton_Insurance

Yep - I have completely removed the Glip (now called RingCentral) app from my iphone due to this limitation. I won't be adding it back until this is fixed.
Photo of PELVICORE PT

PELVICORE PT

• 64 Points
I agree! I text clients and they won’t answer because they don’t know who is texting. There is a choice to select outbound number for callas, but not texts. ??? Why would they miss something so basic and important and why will it take until Q3 to fix this? I am VERY disappointed. I removed the Glip app from my phone because that renders it useless for me.
Photo of Lee

Lee, Champion

• 3,224 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
It should set the default number you chose in preferences to be your caller ID, for both the phone and texts. 
Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

• 2,148 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled RingCentral App - Add Outbound Caller ID.

Just like the RingCentral Phone has Outbound caller ID options to select the outbound caller ID for Calls, Texts and Faxes:

The RingCentral app desperately needs these exact same options as well:

The lack of uniformity between RingCentral App, Phone, Chrome Extension, Android App, iOS app etc is causing a lot of users severe frustration as many of them are running multiple of these just to be able to use all of the needed features.
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

• 4,094 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Nice mockup!  This is definitely a feature that needs to be added and glad it is now listed as "planned."  I wonder if there is a list of the feature ideas here that are now planned?
Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

Thanks.

Not as far as I'm aware of. And there doesn't seem to be a way to search for only planned posts.
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

• 4,094 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Actually there is!  Go to https://community.ringcentral.com/ringcentral/categories/ringcentral_glip then under Conversations, choose Ideas and then under that click on All Ideas then Planned.
Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

Good call. But it looks like the mods aren't maintaining their 'Planned' marks. Or at least I assume they've forgotten about some of these 'Planned' posts from years ago.
Photo of Jason Spindler

Jason Spindler

• 838 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
When is this going to be fixed?  I need it yesterday.  
Photo of Christian Colon

Christian Colon

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Any answer to this? It doesn’t make sense that the older “Ringcentral phone” app allows text messages from main phone number but the newer “Ringcentral” app sends it only from weird direct phone number.
(Edited)

Talanton_Insurance

As far as I know, it's not fixed. I've completely stopped using Glip and the browser-based RingCentral App because when I respond to text messages they went out from my direct # rather than the number I set up in RingCentral (on purpose via setting) or the number the person actually text me at and knows me by. In my opinion, this feature made the system worse and eliminated the cross-device functionality and uniformity promised by RingCentral's value proposition.

(Edited)
Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

• 2,116 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
The whole purpose of having a company number is to have one number that communicates with your customers, via phone, text or whatever. This should have been fixed a long time ago.
Photo of Mike Rike

Mike Rike

• 242 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hello,

I'm an IT manager for a private company with over 500 RC users. This issue was brought to my attention and I have to say, this lacking feature parity between RC Phone and RC App/Glip is quite a shock to be honest. I thought I was dealing with 'user error' until I called RC for help and was brought here.

Ring Central Folks -- Any feedback as to if we will see this feature scheduled into a future release?

Thanks!
- Mike
Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

• 2,116 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
I highly suggest you ask "when" not "if".

Talanton_Insurance

Sad situation - wish we had some kind of progress or even an acknowledgement from RingCentral that this was being addressed. 
Photo of Mike Rike

Mike Rike

I'm hoping it's a "when" but right now this feature request only has 6 votes.
Hopefully it gets more or RC just realizes "Why didn't we think of this already?"
Photo of Saadet - Community Moderator

Saadet - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 67,700 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Everyone! I just followed up with our Product Team and this IS planned for Q2 :) So stay tuned!
Photo of Mike Rike

Mike Rike

WooHoo! Great News Saadet! 

Appreciate the future feature update and communication back to us!

Take care,
- Mike

You're welcome! :)

Talanton_Insurance

Great thanks!

Talanton_Insurance

This was planned for Q2-19 in Q1-19. Then Q3-19 and we're in Q4-19. Update, please?
Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

@Talanton_Insurance The function of this feature has been available this entire time in the abandoned RingCentral Phone software and the RingCentral SMS API. One can only speculate as to why it was never fully written into the RingCentral app that they're trying to push everyone to use. :(

Photo of Mario Cea

Mario Cea

• 104 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Glip text outbound caller ID to show main number.

US Account,   I wish to have the ability to text out from Glip desktop application to phone numbers and show my main number on the recipient caller ID.

At the moment only ability is showing on caller ID the number from the digital line assigned to that particular extension.

this will help very much to our team. 
Photo of Weilun Fu

Weilun Fu

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Glip is not compatible with Ringcentral phone app?.

I spend the whole morning with tech rep, ended up with answer that there is a limitation now with Glip be fully compatible with Ringcentral phone app. Issue here is when you send a text msg from Glip it will show as coming from you soft phone # even your designated company phone # is selected. Can we fix this issue so clients can see that my text msgs will be coming from the same place which is the company main #?
Photo of Laura Nobile

Laura Nobile

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How to change Caller ID for SMS on IOS for the Glip app.
Photo of James Reyes

James Reyes

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We also need the ability for all CS reps to send text messages and call from the company number.  It's not just a "nice to have" for us, but it's integral to how we communicate with customers.

We have multiple CS reps that answer text messages. All CS reps use the main company number to call and text. It would be a complete nightmare for our customers if text messages were suddenly coming from different numbers. Not to mention, we would not be able to have multiple reps managing he messaging queue.

I beg of you guys to add this feature.  Otherwise, we would be forced to port our number to another provider which would be a nightmare.  Not mention we're very happy with RingCentral so moving is not something we want to do.

That being said, the nature of how we communicate with customers would be too greatly impacted if all CS reps cannot send texts and call from the main company number.  Otherwise, there would be no point of having one main company number in the first place.

Official Response
Hi all, I wanted to provide an update on this request. It is still planned and the Product Team is working on it. The timeline for the release got changed to Q3. 
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

• 4,150 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
For both mobile and desktop?
Photo of James Huegli

James Huegli

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Just want to add that this has also been an issue for me since I switched over - crazy that this isn't an option in the new app.

Talanton_Insurance

We are now in Q4. This was promised in Q2, for Q3. What is the status?
Photo of James Huegli

James Huegli

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I believe this has been resolved? On the RingCentral App on my phone I can now set the outgoing caller ID to be the main business phone number.
Photo of Paul Pecullan

Paul Pecullan

• 518 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
On Glip desktop, yes each user can select the outbound CallerID number for phone calls but not Text, this is still forced to the users DID.  
What I find troubling with this is that we have roles setup that do not allow the user to configure the callerID themselves.  We want to set the phone number that users will dial out from and not allow the users to change it.  This role is not obeyed.

Hi all, I wanted to provide an update. We are experiencing a slight snag with the ability for the Company Fax/SMS Recipient to change their outbound SMS ID to the main number and for this change to be obeyed. Our Product Team is aware that this is not working properly and looking into it. You can open a case and include JIRA GLIP-25850 in your notes. You'll receive an update when the issue has been fixed.