Feature Request - Transfer to IVR after No Answer on a Call Queue

• Idea
  • Updated 3 months ago
I have a client who requested their main line ring to a call queue with several members. No big deal, done and done...however, if no one in the queue picked up, they wanted it to ring out to an IVR menu. This is not possible with the current system, but I think it would be a great addition.

I did try the following and it didn't work:

• Created a user without a device
  • Toggle "Take Messages" off and instead flipped it to a group, which I selected as the IVR menu
  • Added this user as the last in the call queue
  • Adjusted the wait time to allow the call to ring every other number and then reach my dummy number
Thought it was a clever work around, but it appears to still dump into voicemail of the queue. I touched base with RingCentral support and they recommended creating a feature request here.

Account is in the US, the business is a metal manufacture company with a branch sales office, the description is up above, a typical use case would be anyone who has a main line dialing a call queue, but doesn't want the call to end up in 1 users mailbox or the call queue's mailbox and instead flip to an IVR on no answer.

That last part was to comply with the feature request template.

Thanks!
Photo of Joshua Shapiro

Joshua Shapiro

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Ben P

Ben P, Employee

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Hey Joshua,

Thanks for the post!  I'm an Enterprise Support engineer here at RingCentral and I hope that I can help.

Based on what you have said above, normally I would achieve the general results using advanced rules.

If you need me to clarify anything or if I have misunderstood your requirement please let me know.  I will use made up phone numbers for logic, you may need to tweak these to fit your needs.

Your number points to your ring group already, this is perfect.  You need to make sure your IVR is created ready.  The only additional step you need is to create an additional group (I prefer to use a group rather than a user for this) this is where you will set up your advanced rule to forward to IVR.

On your Group, You have your agents set up already - you need to create an overflow to a 'new' group (in my case 401 overflows to 501)

In the settings for 501 (the new group), click the small drop-down arrow near the blue circle and choose advanced.

Now create a Custom Answering Rule that is based from Date and Time

Make sure you choose 24 x 7.

Now choose Connect to Extension, then Select your Second IVR in the right hand section.

This should achieve what you are looking to do.

So the logic is:
Call Comes into system
Call goes to a group and rings the agents
Call overflows to a 'new' group
The 'new' group has an advanced rule
The Advanced rule is set to send calls to IVR
Calling party goes to IVR and chooses option.

Let me know how this goes!

Thanks
Ben
Photo of Joshua Shapiro

Joshua Shapiro

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I was working through this and found I don't have the same options as you. For instance, I don't have the Overflow tab or that little blue circle.

Regardless, I followed it through, creating a new group called Overflow to IVR and creating a Custom Answering Rule for 24x7 sending the caller to the IVR.

However, I do not have the ability to add a Call Queue as a member of another Call Queue.

So, I tried creating an additional user called Transfer to IVR and turned off all Screeing, Greeting & Hold Music settings as well as disabled messages. I then told it to Connect directly to Group which is the desired IVR, but that doesn't appear to have worked.

I did also try doing a rule on the user, but that doesn't have the option to forward to a group.

I greatly appreciate your help though! Are there region differences? I'm in the US if that helps.

Photo of Ben P

Ben P, Employee

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Hey Joshua, Thanks for the update, Im out of the office in meetings and will come back to you later.