Feature taken away when Adding New Contact in latest update

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Good morning! I work for a busy dental office in the US, and we use our Ring Central desktop app to confirm appointments and information with patients as well as reach out to patients to see if they'd like to get in for their unscheduled appointments. We recently updated our Ring Central desktop apps to version 10.1.2.31099, and according to Jennylyn with Customer Support a feature we often use was taken away with this update. When texting someone new, it just displays a phone number until we add them as a contact. We used to be able to click the "i" on their message which opens "Message Details." Then we would select the "Add Contact" icon and it would give us two options: Create New Contact and Add to Existing User. Now it only shows Add to Existing User. So we're now having to copy the number, select the Contact tab, then select the Add Contact tab. I wish this was just a bug with the current release, but the representative said that it is just a feature of the new app version. This is really inconvenient because it takes that much extra time to create the contact. I'd like to get it back to how it was! Would love for a developer or engineer to bring this up to be reinstated for future updates.
Photo of Katelyn

Katelyn

• 124 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Saadet - Community Support

Saadet - Community Support, Official Rep

• 53,966 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Katelyn,

I'm on the same version of the desktop app (for Windows) and I'm seeing the option as still being present

Could you share with me a screen shot of what you're seeing?
Photo of Jay Nichols

Jay Nichols

• 2,670 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
I've got the same version, and can't create a new contact.  Maybe we actually have different releases of the same "version"

Hey Jay, what happens when you log in with your direct number? As opposed to the main company number + extension? 
Photo of Katelyn

Katelyn

• 124 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Saadet, here's a screenshot. I saw your response above to Jay. We don't login with our direct number, just the main number with our extensions. The representative I spoke with just said that it's not an option anymore.

Hmmmm....let me do some research on this and I'll get back to you when I learn more! 

Official Response
Ok! So this is a known issue and our Engineers are working on getting it fixed. There's no ETA at this time but if you open a Case and include JIRA RC-57474 in your notes, your case will get escalated & you will get notified when it is fixed.
Photo of Network Doctors

Network Doctors

• 312 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Windows Desktop app (version 10.1.2.31099).

When reviewing messages in the Windows Desktop app (version 10.1.2.31099) I no longer have the option of adding a text message to my Contacts. When you click on the the i to the right of a message, then hover over the silhouette with the + symbol, it states "Add Contact". However, the next option does not allow you to add a NEW contact. You can only "Add to Existing Contact"

Official Response
Hey Everyone! I wanted to let you all know that this will be fixed in the 10.2 release, which should finish rolling out by the end of September (pending any set backs).
Photo of Nicole

Nicole

• 316 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Adding a contact from a text message.

Does anyone know if the ability to add a contact to your contacts from a text message exists? Seems a little strange to me that I can't just select that I want to add someone to my contacts right from the text message.

Thanks!
Photo of Jacob Rodriguez

Jacob Rodriguez

• 44 Points
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Add "Add contact" option with Text Message Desktop app.

Add "Add contact" option within the desktop app when in the middle of a text message. It makes us manually input all information in instead of auto-populating the number. 

Hey Jacob! Please see my Official Responses above.
Photo of Jacob Rodriguez

Jacob Rodriguez

• 44 Points
So Im assuming there has been set backs since its past the end of September? Thank you for the quick response.
(Edited)

Hey Jacob, the 10.2 release is still being pushed out. We are at the end of August right now. All accounts should be finished with the upgrade by the end of September.
Photo of Bill Geddes

Bill Geddes

• 76 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Same issue here- really looking forward to restoration of the "create new contact" funtionality in 10.2...
How can I know when we'll be elgible for that version?

Hi Bill! You can contact your Account Manager who will be able to look up when your account is scheduled for the update :)
Photo of Shelly Roth

Shelly Roth, Champion

• 1,382 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
has this bee fixed yet? Is there a 10.2 version available yet?  I still have the 10.1.2.31099 version.  I do NOT want to have to use the combined version yet.  Too many main issues for us to start using it that way and it's my understanding that we are not forced into it.  Does that also mean we can't update our RC to any newer versions if we want to keep the dual window option?

Hey Shelly, it has been fixed in the 10.2 version of the RingCentral Phone Desktop app. You can download the new version here

Are you referring to the RingCentral app when you mentioned "combined version"?

Which dual window option are you referring to?