Fix the RC softphone MSI (10.3.5) for silent/remote installations

• Idea
  • Updated 5 months ago
We're new to using RC so if someone else has run into this scenario, please let me know if you have any solutions.

I started remote deployment of the RC softphone (10.3.5) using the MSI. The MSI installs correctly if a user downloads it and completes the installation. However this is going to require quite a bit of manual work to either create the instructions for the average user or having someone go to each workstation to install. This could be several hundred workstations.

If I were to silently deploy the softphone via our RMM tool (LabTech/CW Automate), the installer attempts to install files to incorrect folders. This should be easy to fix the MSI properties on the RC dev side and shouldn't take more than a few hours. The installation logs show the silent install attempt to install to non-existent folders such as:

C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\RingCentral\SoftPhoneApp\Qt\labs\

C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\RingCentral\SoftPhoneApp\driver\

I know it's not the RMM tool causing the error. The other MSI files for Outlook and Meetings plug-ins install correctly.

The answer I received from support is beyond ridiculous:

"We also do not have any ways to modify our existing application installers so we can make it to work with Server Deployment. We can only recommend you to have the users to download and install the applications directly into their computers. "
Photo of Adam Thomas

Adam Thomas

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of MileHighWelch

MileHighWelch

• 602 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
You could create a trasnform file to apply modifications to the msi once you find out the property names.  msiexec.exe /i \\path_to_mis.mis TRANSFORM=\\path_to_transfile.mst /q  You could also try and edit the msi yourself with your deployment tool or something like ORCA.  This is on my list too but we only have 90 machines under one roof so I haven't hit my pain point just yet I guess.  Good luck!