Forward to an External Number

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
We have a sister company that is a RingCentral customer.  Currently when someone dials their number, they have three options 0, 1, 2.  Option 0 gets them to someone to handle reservation calls.  They would like to route these calls to an external TF number that would come into oru Shoretel phone system call center. This should be no problem to set up on the Shoretel side.  I just want to verify that routing to an external number is possible from RingCentral.
Photo of RC-Supp

RC-Supp

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Danno

Danno, Champion

• 27,842 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Forwarding to an external number is not an issue.
Photo of Brian Sherman

Brian Sherman

• 1,950 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
This is possible with a workaround.  Create a user without a phone (free) and in the call handling and forwarding route all calls to the external number.  Just set the seconds to ring high so you can be sure the call is picked up on the other end.
Photo of Danno

Danno, Champion

• 27,842 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
It can also be done via the IVR by selecting "external transfer" from drop down menu.
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 20,380 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
We do this routinely to forward to non-RC cell phones for our mobile workers.  In the ADMIN portal, go to CALL HANDLING and FORWARDING,  and enter the complete 10 digit phone# to forward the calls to.   Press Save.
Photo of RC-Supp

RC-Supp

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
My first post to this group and the timeliness, frequency and appropriateness of responses have exceeded my expectations.  Thanks everyone.
Photo of Jason Wells

Jason Wells

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have setup an IVR key press in my IVR tree.  All of my other IVR functions work great...when I try to press the IVR key for my external transfer, it says "extension not recognized."  Thoughts?
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 34,682 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Jason...I have two questions:
1. Are you using single-level or multi-level IVR?
2. If multi-level are you entering a full telephone number in the Transfer To field?

Mine (multi-level IVR) works fine. If you're using single-level IVR I believe the IVR key has to be the extension (I can't remember as it's been a few years since I used single-level IVR).
Photo of Jason Wells

Jason Wells

Jan,

Thanks for the response.  I have it set to Single-Level IVR....in the key area, it gives me the option for an external number transfer, so do you know why it doesn't work on Single-Level?
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

Hmmm....that's interesting. Like I said I've been using the multi-level since it came out. I can't remember much about the single-level. But looking at your screen capture, does the external transfer on key 8 work?
Photo of Jason Wells

Jason Wells

Both don't which implies that you are correct....if so, then their system is not user-friendly...it shouldn't show that option if it doesn't work with single level.
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

Yeah sorry. I could be wrong but if I remember correctly the key press either needs to be the extension or go to an extension, which is why you are most likely getting the "extension not recognized" error message you are seeing. 

But when I look at your screen shot again...it sure looks like a multi-level screen. Are you sure you have it set up as a single-level?