Glip App not Ready to Replace RC Phone App

• Question
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
  • Answered
I have had three customers using the Flip App instead of the phone app and missed calls. 
Once i switched them to the Phone Mobile App, calls were not missed. 
Now I read that the phone app is going away at the first of the month. 
This is not good. Has anyone else experienced this issue?
Photo of Larry Davis

Larry Davis, Champion

• 446 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

• 16,778 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I mentioned a couple hiccups with the call handling on apps last week and was informed " it's part of the transition" and that "they've made it known during the process as to when it'll be complete." Soooo be prepared for the keyboard warriors to set you straight. (eye roll)
Photo of Andrew

Andrew, Champion

• 2,696 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
I'm in agreement.  Not just from functionality and stability but from UI it just isn't ready or efficient.  Especially for our clients that don't use Glip at all.  Many use different tools like Teams/Slack, etc and I find it difficult to explain to them why the are being made to use their phone amidst all of the other noise in this app.  

RingCentral, please hear us.  We are in favor of the unification process and the direction of it all, but don't take tools away from clients unless the replacements are fully ready and vetted by your core community members.  
Photo of Chris Criner

Chris Criner

• 266 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Wait...what? The Phone App is going away???
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

• 68,062 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey all, you can read more about this transition here. We're working on the Mobile apps right now and will tackle the desktop apps next year.
Photo of Larry Davis

Larry Davis, Champion

i have a customer that was using the phone app because the R app was missing calls. 
on the 1st, they were forced off the Phone app and back to the R app. Now they are missing calls again.  I have contacted support in the past on this matter and mentioned it in this thread or another one prior to the move. 
We may end up loosing this customer. i know i wouldn't stick around if i couldn't answer my calls.
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

• 16,778 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I just remember getting an email like 6 months ago that the apps were swapping and there was a date and I recall it being rather close so I had to have my account manager call my customer to make sure they were as informed as possible on the switch. I don't remember anything being said about these apps taking time into 2020 to be done. It's become too hard to try and keep up with these timelines and what feel like moving goal posts. I can't keep reading every single newsletter I get from ringcentral about updates and whats new, when more often than not it's telling me how much more money I can make if I sell contact center. It's become too frustrating and tiresome at this point to try and keep up.
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 37,358 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I agree that a lot is going on regarding the updates to the apps but I respectfully disagree with the latter portion of your message.

To give the best service to any client it’s a RingCentral reseller’s responsibility (actually ANY provider reseller’s responsibility) to keep current on any and all product updates, new product offerings, service info, etc.. That’s why any provider, RingCentral included, have Channel Managers for partners in order to keep them up to date. These changes about the desktop app being incorporated in 2020 has been common knowledge for many months.

Doctors, attorneys, accountants, and other professionals need to keep up with massive continuing changes in their individual professions. A VoIP/UCaaS partner should, in my humble opinion, be no less professional in keeping up to date with any and all changes involved with the providers they represent.

Just my opinion...Your mileage may vary.
(Edited)
Photo of Larry Davis

Larry Davis, Champion

The last email i received said it is Nov 1. 1919 !!!!!
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

• 16,758 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I can't remember it exactly and I dont feel like sifting through my emails but I want to say it originally told me September/October was supposed to be the move. Now I bring it up again since I thought this was supposed to have happened already and the staunch defenders of ringcentral cape up for them without fail.
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

• 68,062 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Chris, I know it can be frustrating to keep tabs on these new changes, but we're here to help! :)

Our customers received emails about the migration to the new mobile app at different times throughout the year - to give people ample time to prepare. So the date you received for one client may have been different for another client. Just like our releases, we communicated the change in sections.

I think some people did get confused about this affecting the desktop app, too. But, again, that's not the case. We're going to finish retiring the RC Phone Mobile app by the end of this year. Next step is to for the Product Team to work on the desktop app next year. 
Photo of Chris Criner

Chris Criner

Sorry for the confusion, so once the RC Phone App is gone, will the Ring Central app still support the mobile phone function the Phone App provided? We use the phone app for service support of our clients, and it allows me to use it on my personal phone for work, to separate my business side from my real world side, instead of having to carry two phones around.
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

• 68,042 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Chris! The Product Team is working on getting the features that are on the RingCentral Phone app added to the RingCentral app :) 
Photo of Chris Criner

Chris Criner

Hopefully before the Phone app is retired??
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

Yeah, that's the plan ;) 
Photo of Andrew

Andrew, Champion

• 2,696 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
RingCental.  Please hear your users and don't retire the RC Phone App tomorrow!  The Glip/RingCentral app isn't ready. I don't want to sound negative as I'm all for unification but it simply isn't ready and we are going to have some very frustrated end users/clients tomorrow if you go throw with this as I imagine will be the case with many others.  
Photo of Chris Criner

Chris Criner

Agree with Andrew, please do NOT phase out the phone app until you have integrated it into RC app.I'm stunned that this should even need to be mentioned here. You will virtually shut down our service business if you pull the plug.
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

Hi Chris, 

Right now we are only retiring the mobile app, which the Product Team has made ready and fully integrated with all phone capabilities. 

Regarding the desktop, we know the RC Phone desktop still has many advance features you need that aren't in the unified app. So until that is ready, we won't take away your desktop app. You will be able to continue to use it for the foreseeable future. 
Photo of Chris Criner

Chris Criner

Hello Saadet, I'm a bit confused by your wording. Currently I have the RC Phone App, which is what we are using for our service client contact. So RC is going to retire the Mobile App, but all functions of said stand alone Mobile App  are now residing in the Ring Central app? Is that correct?
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

Correct. In this thread we announced more details about the plan for the RC Phone mobile app. Essentially, we are combining all of the apps (RC Phone, Glip, and RC Meetings) into a unified app. 

The Product Team is tackling the Mobile App first. With plans to tackle unifying the desktop apps next year. Until the Product Team has fully integrated the features within the RC Phone desktop app into the RingCentral app - everyone will still be able to use the RC Phone Desktop app.

Again, only the RC Phone mobile app will be retired this year.
Photo of Chris Criner

Chris Criner

I read the link you put up and it appears that we are losing the function for cel phones on RC completely, so we will no longer be able to have both our desk phones, and our mobile phones linked together thru RC to take and make calls and texting over RC using cel phones when away from our desks. Is this correct?
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

Hey Chris, what statement gave you that impression? I want to make sure things are worded correctly.
Photo of Chris Criner

Chris Criner

"We’re beginning the process of retiring our Phone and Meetings apps and bringing those capabilities into the RingCentral app. The first step in this process is to retire the mobile apps by April 2020." I take this to mean that mobile app functions are also going away.
From this point on in yr linked thread, there is no further mention of a mobile phone app that can be used to make/take calls and texts. Only the Desktop app is discussed. Where it says Ring Central Phone app, this seems to refer to desktop application. There is no mention of cel phone functions. Please clarify simply...will we still be able to use the RC mobile phone function to tie cel and desktop phone together?
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

Hey Chris, on the contrary. Like I mentioned, we are combining the 3 apps into a single app, which is the RingCentral mobile app. The RingCentral mobile app is currently available in the app stores (Android and iPhone) and has been for months now :) 

You will still have a mobile app that can make/take calls, SMS, and team message. 
Photo of Chris Criner

Chris Criner

excellent, thank you. So if I, right now, remove the RC Phone app from my cel, and install the Ring Central app only, all my current mobile phone functions will remain in place?
Photo of Chris Criner

Chris Criner

hah...this is hilarious. So I uninstalled the RC Phone app, installed just the Ring Central app, and then tried to sign into my account. So of course I get "sorry we can't recognize the device. Please use other device,.." I had the security code sent **to my address on the account**, and received it both times. Gotta love Ring Central....now what?
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

Hey Chris, honestly, that's really weird. The credentials should work. You'll want to talk with Tech Support to see what's going on
Photo of Chris Criner

Chris Criner

Even stranger, so I reinstalled the Phone app back on my phone, and was able to sign in (after adding security code) with no issue.(to the phone app not the Ring Central app) Even our IT guy could not figure out why the hassle. I have had enough excitement for one day, am leaving it as is...
Photo of Chris Criner

Chris Criner

ah, it finally seems to have synched my mobile app login to the RC login, so I am signed in to both now.
Photo of Larry Davis

Larry Davis, Champion

I had an issue in the past where the RC app did not receive all calls. This happened before the switch so i put them on the mobile phone app and it worked as expected. 
Now that customer is forced to use the "R" mobile app, she is missing calls again. 
User is not happy
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

• 16,758 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Currently you have to use the RC Phone mobile app to get some calls and to fill in the gaps have the RingCentral / Glip app as well for the rest of your call handling issues.
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

Hi Larry, there was a known issue with calls not going through but that issue has since been fixed. I would suggest having that user talk to tech support so that they can look into why she's still not getting calls.
Photo of Larry Davis

Larry Davis, Champion

That is great to know. Do you think an uninstall / reinstall will help?
Never hurts. :-) 
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

Never hurts, but shouldn't be necessary :)