Glip Question: Add/Save Contact within Glip?

• Idea
  • Updated 1 week ago
When receiving a SMS text in Glip from an external contact, is there then a way to then create or name a contact in Glip so it shows the person's name instead of the full phone number?  I tried creating a contact in RingCentral, which made it correctly show the name of the contact in my softphone/RingCentral for desktop; however, in Glip it continued to show as the phone number.   In the screen shot attached you can see how it's correctly showing the contact name on my softphone but the 10 digit number in Glip.
Photo of Natasha Parker

Natasha Parker

• 672 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of James A

James A, US Enterprise Engineer

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Natasha, we've flipped this to a feature request for others to vote on since this cannot be done yet
Photo of Jonathan Goldszmidt

Jonathan Goldszmidt

• 164 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled When using Glip to send and receive text messages there should be away to assign ....

There should be a way to assign a name or alias to phone numbers that you send or receive text messages to/from through Glip.
Photo of Jason Spindler

Jason Spindler

• 748 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
How do I vote on it.  I want this too.  Seems like it should be an easy feature to implement; just allow sync with Google Contacts would work for me and a lot of others.  

Photo of Saadet - Community Support

Saadet - Community Support, Official Rep

• 51,618 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Jason,

Simply click the Vote button :)

Photo of David Bidwell

David Bidwell

• 1,230 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I Have seen some of my text messages in Glip show a name. I don't know what the difference is why some will she a name and some do not. I think the ones I start in the Phone App will some reason show a name if they called me and left me a voice mail.  
Photo of Jeremy Lindquist

Jeremy Lindquist

• 162 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
How is this not a feature? Seems like an obvious need. Judging by the fact there are only 12 votes to date. Either most people are not using the SMS feature through GLIP or there is a way around this that I don't know about. 

If this is truly still not a feature I am inclined to believe that this is a very infrequently used feature for most of the community. 
Photo of Natasha Parker

Natasha Parker

• 672 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I just tested this again last week and it's still not a feature.  It seems if someone texts me from their RC number, it shows a name but otherwise it just shows their phone number still.  I think the low number of votes have more to due with a combination of how many RC customers strictly use Glip and regularly review posts in Community.  Most of our organization still uses their softphone/desktop app in combination with Glip and this isn't an issue on the desktop app.  Also, I know other companys who use RingCentral but do not use Glip at all because they continue to use Slack or Skype so they too only use the desktop app or turn off SMS.  
Photo of Dakota Meller

Dakota Meller

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Natasha,
Your post describes exactly what our company needs. 
Have you found a platform that allows for outside SMS communication? 
Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

• 904 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Being able to manage phone contacts is THE most basic feature of any phone system. No one is using Glip right now because of a complete lack of contact management.
Photo of Jeremy Lindquist

Jeremy Lindquist

• 162 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Assign name instead of phone number for SMS in RIngcentral App.

When I send an SMS in the ringcentral app on my Mac it shows up in my conversation list as the phone number. 

Is there a way to add this to contacts, or just change the display name in the conversation list? 
Photo of Sarah Amin

Sarah Amin

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have 4 clients who regularly text me - keeping their numbers straight is a nightmare. This feature needs to be added!
Photo of Bryan Hoff

Bryan Hoff

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Sarah, I and MANY OTHERS agree!! That is a commonly requested feature so I'm not sure why they haven't added the feature.   If I had to guess, it's because they want people to get invited to use "Glip" and purchase this program that don't currently use RingCentral.   Otherwise, it doesn't make any sense why this can't be done.
Photo of Andy Baumruk

Andy Baumruk

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We have been using Slack and now that we moved to RC a few months ago, we had hoped to switch to Glip. We have not migrated because of the lack of so many features (HUD, Contacts, Texts showing up as "People" with no name).  Until they get these basic features included, this app is pretty much worhless IMO.   

Photo of Megan C.

Megan C.

• 286 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
We need this desperately!! I agree with what others have posted - this seems like a very basic feature that was overlooked.
(Edited)
Photo of Mark Bartoszek

Mark Bartoszek

• 214 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Merging contacts between Phone and Glip apps.

Our customer service team has been using the Phone app pretty regularly to text our customers. They've been adding them in the contact directory to keep track. Going forward, they will also be using Glip for the team features. However, what they've noticed is that the customers they've texted before show up under the People section in Glip, but only their phone numbers, not their names. Why doesn't Glip pull the corresponding names from the Phone app? Or am I missing something?
Photo of Stephen Beavers

Stephen Beavers

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Attn: Ring Central management.  It seems to me that for Ring Central to compete in this space they must add this feature or their app will be looked over by companies searching for this type of app.

Photo of Lisa Nestor

Lisa Nestor

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Please - make contact names visible in GLIP.  
Photo of Denis Cowley

Denis Cowley

• 168 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Natasha. Did you ever find an alternate to Glip that would do this? I'm willing to pay for the features I want, but Ringcentral seems to be not much into having products a buyer wants to purchase. I wonder why I can't pay for a modification to do this? Hope you reply and can direct me to a platform that allows this as we do have a need.

Photo of Justin Jorgensen

Justin Jorgensen

• 190 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Is there somewhere to vote for this? My users are frustrated currently because they have to bounce between 2 apps to do everything related to our previous system. But the lack of importing contacts or being able to update inside Glip is just silly. 

• 51,862 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Justin, simply click the Me Too button located in the top right-hand corner
Photo of Bryan Hoff

Bryan Hoff

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Our account manager recently told us when we renewed our agreement that they are working to integrate GLIP & Ring Central Phone app into one where it would accomodate saving contacts.   I hope this happens sooner than later as we won't be renewing our agreement again without this much needed feature of saving contacts. 
Photo of Denis Cowley

Denis Cowley

• 148 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I don't mind paying for an enhancement but these guys [RC] won't even talk about "buying" a modification. Aren't they in the business of generating revenue?  I totally agree with you Bryan.

• 51,406 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Bryan, you are correct, our Product Team is working very hard in creating parity between the two apps :)

Hey Denis, I completely understand the frustration with the lack of not being able to add a contact within Glip! I deal with this issue as well. I regularly send reports to the Glip Product Team and they are quite receptive :) I'll be letting them know, again, about this request and if they have an ETA to share with me, I'll share it on this thread.
Photo of Denis Cowley

Denis Cowley

• 148 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks Saadet, I truly appreciate your reply...its like a breath of fresh air.. I'm 65 years old with a business to run. Meaning, I don't have a lot of time to waste [age wise]. I want to purchase this product and move on. We've been RC users for many years now and the lack of response has gotten worse as of late. Not sure who's in charge but they should be sent to pasture and a new person with some purpose and quickness to their step should take charge. We need RC like it was when we first became a customer. Then folks would at least answer and allow for decisions to be made and not just leave us in limbo hoping for a reply. Hold the course Saadet, we're counting on you :)
Photo of Denis Cowley

Denis Cowley

• 168 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This is a publicly traded company the symbol is RNG on the NYSE yet no human ever replies to a request for anything. Here I am looking to purchase a modification and nothing. A nothingness chosen by some programmer in a foreign land. Whatever happened to customer services and giving the customer what they are willing to pay for?  I would even settle for someone to say, "No we don't want your money. No, we don't want your business, just leave us alone so we can run our call center with 3rd world wages and not be bothered with silliness of Glip and your needs" I could understand that...but the nothingness and the rudeness of no replies from RC just make the blood boil. GGRRRRGH..... At least we got a board of directors to complain to should we choose.