Glip Question: Add/Save Contact within Glip?

• Idea
  • Updated 20 hours ago
  • Planned
When receiving a SMS text in Glip from an external contact, is there then a way to then create or name a contact in Glip so it shows the person's name instead of the full phone number?  I tried creating a contact in RingCentral, which made it correctly show the name of the contact in my softphone/RingCentral for desktop; however, in Glip it continued to show as the phone number.   In the screen shot attached you can see how it's correctly showing the contact name on my softphone but the 10 digit number in Glip.
Photo of Natasha Parker

Natasha Parker

• 1,042 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Brent Baldree

Brent Baldree

• 230 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have found a work around that will only help me on people I have not already texted with.  

If I originate a text from the RingCentral APP on my google pixel xl2 to a contact within my ringcentral app then the contact shows on the PC glip app.

If you originate a text from the RC Phone app on your phone it will not work.

If you have already communicated with them without doing these steps first then it will not work.

Your welcome.
(Edited)
Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

• 1,896 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
You originate a text with people you have not already texted with?

I don't think most of us are in the business of cold texting.
(Edited)
Photo of Brent Baldree

Brent Baldree

Yes I originate text with people I have not already texted with.  It is a tool my clients prefer.

I am not in the business of cold texting either.

Your comment seems worthless.  It has added absolutely no value to the problem at hand.

If you had nothing of value to say, why say anything at all except to make yourself feel prideful by trying to tear my attempt at helping people down.
Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

Sounds like text spamming. I think out of junk emails, robo calls and text spams, text spamming is the one people hate the most. Good luck with your unwanted solicitations.

Photo of Brent Baldree

Brent Baldree

Here you are again with another crass comment.  I run a moving business.  My customers call me and we speak and then communicate via text after until the move is complete. "Hi, The men just left the office and are headed in your direction.  ETA 30 minutes", "Hi, We received your signed estimate and have reserved your date" etc.

I too hate text spamming.  I just don't understand how you would assume something so negative about me simply by my posting a solution on how to get contacts to show in the glip app.

Anything else to say jerk?
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 36,728 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Account,

Did you not see the portion of his original text where he said that these were contacts within his RingCentral app? If you are a customer of mine and I have your phone number, freely given by you to me, and I have you in my contacts, it is hardly spamming if I was to send you a text. Please be sure you read and understand before you falsely change the narrative.
Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

Nothing to say but thanks!

Thank you for giving RingCentral an excuse to further prolong completing features. Also, thank you for giving RingCentral customer service a worthless "workaround" to throw at those who continue to raise the issue of problems not being completed.

If you had kept up with the community and had been reading posts over the last year, you would know that many of us have been asking for a program fix, not a worthless "workaround". Also, if you had kept up with the community and had been reading posts over the last year, you would know that many of us have been given excuse after excuse and a bunch of non-answers as to why contact problems are not fixed. If you had kept up with the community and had been reading posts over the last year, you would know that we were told this was being fixed in Q2 when obviously it will not be.

So yes, nothing but big thanks to you my friend. Good job!

Photo of Mark Bartoszek

Mark Bartoszek

• 1,000 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Why are you blaming him for RingCentral's problems? He provided a workaround to people with similar issues. We have been waiting for this feature as well as everybody else. Until RingCentral fixes it, there is no harm in providing ways around it. That's the whole point of this community forum!

If you are really unhappy with RingCentral (and it sounds like you are), then maybe it's time you look at another solution for your business.
Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

Maybe you should find a community that enjoys expressing their woes and not having concerns fixed by the company... there's lots of communities out there like that. But for the pragmatic rest of us, we don't tend to enjoy such things.

Photo of Saadet - Community Moderator

Saadet - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 65,286 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi all,

In this collaborative community we encourage workarounds, ideas, and feedback. We are appreciative all of our community members that step up to support their peers and colleagues in sharing the ways they use our products. Professional and respectful behavior in this space is expected and appreciated. With that in mind, we ask that you not use this forum to insult other users. Continued behavior that is in opposition to the supportive atmosphere of this community will result in temporary suspension from the Community. Let’s treat each other with kindness, professionalism, and with the intention to support the experience of those that frequent this space.
(Edited)
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 36,728 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Account,

If you hadn't noticed, he has only been a member of the community forums for two weeks! He hasn't had the "opportunity" to do as you mentioned, "If you had kept up with the community and had been reading posts over the last year". Meanwhile you have been a member of the forums for only 7 months as of yesterday.

The Community Forums are NOT RingCentral support forums! They are a community resource acting as a force multiplier for users to help other users. Saadet, Mike and other RingCentral employees specifically assigned then and now to moderate and assist users in the forums are not support. They assist in getting answers to the community's questions and concerns. If you so astutely read these forums as you expect others to, you would have noticed there are legitimate feature requests that are 4 years old and even 6 years old. Brent in no way, shape or form has given "...RingCentral an excuse to further prolong completing features."

At least Brent offered a work-around...what have you contributed besides harsh rhetoric?
Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

If you so enjoy looking back through the history of others, feel free to see for yourself what I have or have not contributed.

Are you saying RC members can only read as far back as the time they have been a member?

Are you saying assisting in answers to concerns is not support?

Yes, exactly. We agree there are feature requests that are years old! I'd like to see the ones centered around the basic functionality of contact management issued fixed, and not postponed. If you are in the business of providing solutions, you might know that any sort of temporary limited 'workaround' does not save the time it takes for an actual solution but can only be used to delay and/or increase that amount of time.

(Edited)
Photo of Brent Baldree

Brent Baldree

I appreciate the support folks.  I have not long been signed up for ring central and I think me and "account" have one thing in common.  We both think the features and support are lacking in a big way.  It took explaining over 5 different times to support what I was trying to accomplish before they led me to this thread and said that it is not an option at this moment.  The same day I found a work around and wanted to share it.  Hopefully it will help someone.    
Photo of eDigitalDeals

eDigitalDeals

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How to add a contact in the latest RingCentral App? V19.05.2 (E. 2.0.14).

I just reformatted my PC and installed the latest version of the RingCentral desktop app on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Why is there no way to add and save a new contact to the contact list? Am I missing something? On the last app, I was able to save a contact from the call list.
Photo of Amy Curtis

Amy Curtis

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled add contacts in ringcentral desktop app for mac.

I recently updated the Ring Central desktop app for Mac to version 19.5.2.
This version seems to have no Contacts. It did not transfer my existing contacts, and I can't find a place to add new contacts. Below is a screenshot of the dashboard of the app on my desktop. 
This doesn't look like the pictures in the desktop user guide.

Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

• 24,594 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Amy, did you try clicking on "people" on the left?
Photo of Amy Curtis

Amy Curtis

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
People only lists people in my organization, and doesn't allow for outside contacts.

• 65,950 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hey all, I'm still waiting for a solid ETA on this. The Product Team is working hard on this item, and many others, in order to get feature parity. Right now they're thinking it might not be until next quarter since they have many items on the docket. I'll keep you posted when I hear more!
Photo of Doug Boemker

Doug Boemker

• 104 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Goodness. I'm trying to push for Glip adoption at my company and then I have to explain to my team why they have to have 2 apps open to see who they are texting and direct messaging with. That's a hard sell. 
Photo of david.duranceau

david.duranceau

• 62 Points
Totally agree, makes it very difficult when your customers text you back and all you see is a phone number.
Photo of Denis Cowley

Denis Cowley

• 502 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
We are researching Front as a possible solution and alternative to Glip. So far, so good. RC has had plenty of time to correct this problem.
Photo of Brent Baldree

Brent Baldree

I found another work around for you guys.
Step 1: Create a Team
Step 2: Add users (just type their name, it will autopopulate an email... it does not have to be a valid email....
Step 3: Organize your list as attached. (You should know how to get the number on your screen... at that point just put the number under the bogus email contact you made in step 2

And Voila.  - Feel free to mail me your millions that you will now earn.

Here is how I now have my contacts worked out.
 https://ibb.co/4204Sxt
Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

Hey thanks for incentivizing the RC programmers to work even slower on fixing the biggest problem with the new RC desktop app.

Photo of Brent Baldree

Brent Baldree

Your welcome.
Photo of Ryan Resultay

Ryan Resultay, Employee

• 202 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled RC Phone APP incoming SMS info.

Need to have a function on the RC app for the SMS to show the info of the person that reply to the text messages.
Impossible to add contacts because these are random potential clients.
Currently it only shows the number but no name 

RC Number: 6787861222
UID: 62688415007
Caller's Name: Kathleen
Email Address: kathleendurham@live.com 
Photo of Sylvia P

Sylvia P

• 154 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Add Contacts.

It is essential that we are able to add contacts to our phone system. When will this be updated. 
Photo of Bryan Hoff

Bryan Hoff

• 252 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Saving a number as a name contact is not rocket science.     If they haven't added such a basic feature by now,  it probably isn't going to happen.   The first request for this feature was 2 YEARS AGO!  

• 65,950 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hey all, 

I wanted to provide an update on the ability to save a contact within the RingCentral app.

This capability is available on the 19.3.23 version of the Mobile App (yay!) and the Product Team is working to get the same functionality added for the desktop app in either late Q1 or early Q2 of 2020. We'll share a firm date when we have one :)