Glip Question: Add/Save Contact within Glip?

• Idea
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • Planned
When receiving a SMS text in Glip from an external contact, is there then a way to then create or name a contact in Glip so it shows the person's name instead of the full phone number?  I tried creating a contact in RingCentral, which made it correctly show the name of the contact in my softphone/RingCentral for desktop; however, in Glip it continued to show as the phone number.   In the screen shot attached you can see how it's correctly showing the contact name on my softphone but the 10 digit number in Glip.
Photo of Natasha Parker

Natasha Parker

• 1,062 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of James A

James A, US Enterprise Engineer

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Natasha, we've flipped this to a feature request for others to vote on since this cannot be done yet
Photo of Elyse

Elyse

• 238 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I've reverted to the "Phone" app as the "RingCentral" app on phone and desktop does not let me label contacts, and in addition does not sync my call log or contacts between apps. During testing when evaluating VOIP vendors, the ease of adding contacts and syncing between phones was a key differentiator between top competitors. So was the active support and engineering effort. I expected the unified app to be a step forward, not a step back.
Photo of Jonathan Goldszmidt

Jonathan Goldszmidt

• 194 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled When using Glip to send and receive text messages there should be away to assign ....

There should be a way to assign a name or alias to phone numbers that you send or receive text messages to/from through Glip.
Photo of Jason Spindler

Jason Spindler

• 868 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
How do I vote on it.  I want this too.  Seems like it should be an easy feature to implement; just allow sync with Google Contacts would work for me and a lot of others.  

Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

• 67,810 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Jason,

Simply click the Vote button :)

Photo of David Bidwell

David Bidwell

• 1,230 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I Have seen some of my text messages in Glip show a name. I don't know what the difference is why some will she a name and some do not. I think the ones I start in the Phone App will some reason show a name if they called me and left me a voice mail.  
Photo of Jeremy Lindquist

Jeremy Lindquist

• 202 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
How is this not a feature? Seems like an obvious need. Judging by the fact there are only 12 votes to date. Either most people are not using the SMS feature through GLIP or there is a way around this that I don't know about. 

If this is truly still not a feature I am inclined to believe that this is a very infrequently used feature for most of the community. 
Photo of Natasha Parker

Natasha Parker

I just tested this again last week and it's still not a feature.  It seems if someone texts me from their RC number, it shows a name but otherwise it just shows their phone number still.  I think the low number of votes have more to due with a combination of how many RC customers strictly use Glip and regularly review posts in Community.  Most of our organization still uses their softphone/desktop app in combination with Glip and this isn't an issue on the desktop app.  Also, I know other companys who use RingCentral but do not use Glip at all because they continue to use Slack or Skype so they too only use the desktop app or turn off SMS.  
Photo of Dakota Meller

Dakota Meller

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Natasha,
Your post describes exactly what our company needs. 
Have you found a platform that allows for outside SMS communication? 
Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

• 2,182 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Being able to manage phone contacts is THE most basic feature of any phone system. No one is using Glip right now because of a complete lack of contact management.
Photo of Jeremy Lindquist

Jeremy Lindquist

• 202 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Assign name instead of phone number for SMS in RIngcentral App.

When I send an SMS in the ringcentral app on my Mac it shows up in my conversation list as the phone number. 

Is there a way to add this to contacts, or just change the display name in the conversation list? 
Photo of Sarah Amin

Sarah Amin

• 182 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have 4 clients who regularly text me - keeping their numbers straight is a nightmare. This feature needs to be added!
Photo of Bryan Hoff

Bryan Hoff

• 252 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Sarah, I and MANY OTHERS agree!! That is a commonly requested feature so I'm not sure why they haven't added the feature.   If I had to guess, it's because they want people to get invited to use "Glip" and purchase this program that don't currently use RingCentral.   Otherwise, it doesn't make any sense why this can't be done.
Photo of Andy Baumruk

Andy Baumruk

• 290 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
We have been using Slack and now that we moved to RC a few months ago, we had hoped to switch to Glip. We have not migrated because of the lack of so many features (HUD, Contacts, Texts showing up as "People" with no name).  Until they get these basic features included, this app is pretty much worhless IMO.   

Photo of Megan C.

Megan C.

• 372 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
We need this desperately!! I agree with what others have posted - this seems like a very basic feature that was overlooked.
(Edited)
Photo of Mark Bartoszek

Mark Bartoszek

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Merging contacts between Phone and Glip apps.

Our customer service team has been using the Phone app pretty regularly to text our customers. They've been adding them in the contact directory to keep track. Going forward, they will also be using Glip for the team features. However, what they've noticed is that the customers they've texted before show up under the People section in Glip, but only their phone numbers, not their names. Why doesn't Glip pull the corresponding names from the Phone app? Or am I missing something?
Photo of Stephen Beavers

Stephen Beavers

• 134 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Attn: Ring Central management.  It seems to me that for Ring Central to compete in this space they must add this feature or their app will be looked over by companies searching for this type of app.

Photo of Lisa Nestor

Lisa Nestor

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Please - make contact names visible in GLIP.  
Photo of Denis Cowley

Denis Cowley

• 502 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Natasha. Did you ever find an alternate to Glip that would do this? I'm willing to pay for the features I want, but Ringcentral seems to be not much into having products a buyer wants to purchase. I wonder why I can't pay for a modification to do this? Hope you reply and can direct me to a platform that allows this as we do have a need.

Photo of Justin Jorgensen

Justin Jorgensen

• 246 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Is there somewhere to vote for this? My users are frustrated currently because they have to bounce between 2 apps to do everything related to our previous system. But the lack of importing contacts or being able to update inside Glip is just silly. 
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

• 67,790 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Justin, simply click the Me Too button located in the top right-hand corner
Photo of Bryan Hoff

Bryan Hoff

Our account manager recently told us when we renewed our agreement that they are working to integrate GLIP & Ring Central Phone app into one where it would accomodate saving contacts.   I hope this happens sooner than later as we won't be renewing our agreement again without this much needed feature of saving contacts. 
Photo of Denis Cowley

Denis Cowley

I don't mind paying for an enhancement but these guys [RC] won't even talk about "buying" a modification. Aren't they in the business of generating revenue?  I totally agree with you Bryan.
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

• 67,790 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Bryan, you are correct, our Product Team is working very hard in creating parity between the two apps :)

Hey Denis, I completely understand the frustration with the lack of not being able to add a contact within Glip! I deal with this issue as well. I regularly send reports to the Glip Product Team and they are quite receptive :) I'll be letting them know, again, about this request and if they have an ETA to share with me, I'll share it on this thread.
Photo of Denis Cowley

Denis Cowley

Thanks Saadet, I truly appreciate your reply...its like a breath of fresh air.. I'm 65 years old with a business to run. Meaning, I don't have a lot of time to waste [age wise]. I want to purchase this product and move on. We've been RC users for many years now and the lack of response has gotten worse as of late. Not sure who's in charge but they should be sent to pasture and a new person with some purpose and quickness to their step should take charge. We need RC like it was when we first became a customer. Then folks would at least answer and allow for decisions to be made and not just leave us in limbo hoping for a reply. Hold the course Saadet, we're counting on you :)
Photo of Denis Cowley

Denis Cowley

This is a publicly traded company the symbol is RNG on the NYSE yet no human ever replies to a request for anything. Here I am looking to purchase a modification and nothing. A nothingness chosen by some programmer in a foreign land. Whatever happened to customer services and giving the customer what they are willing to pay for?  I would even settle for someone to say, "No we don't want your money. No, we don't want your business, just leave us alone so we can run our call center with 3rd world wages and not be bothered with silliness of Glip and your needs" I could understand that...but the nothingness and the rudeness of no replies from RC just make the blood boil. GGRRRRGH..... At least we got a board of directors to complain to should we choose.
Photo of Denis Cowley

Denis Cowley

Anything happening with this??...chop, chop..I'm 65 years old not sure how many more years got left. Seems like many folks want/need this. 
Photo of Jonathan Martin

Jonathan Martin

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Just for the RC record, I agree. It's ridiculous that you can't edit a contact to include the name. Looks like this has been a feature request for over a year. This is something that our company needs to communicate and work efficiently. If community requests for no brainer features are not taken seriously, we're looking elsewhere.
Photo of Denis Cowley

Denis Cowley

Jonathan -No one ever replies from RC... its a sea of nothingness from them. How can they be too busy to make money when they are in the business of making money off their product?...Its almost kid or teenage like in their approach to business. Hopefully upper management will take a peek in here and wake foks up. I'm ready to spend $$$$ but they won't even reply.  
Photo of Denis Cowley

Denis Cowley

Get this. We are trying out Slack also. We had a question for their IT staff and they answered the question within hours. [SHOCKING] When there's a question for Glip its like throwing open the window and yelling at the world. Does anyone full time work here? Still trying to spend some money with RC since we already have the phone system would rather stay and use Glip platform than Slack or Flock. If one of the part timers would just reply when they got home from their regular job would be a step up. No one is this busy to refuse money for service. Has to be a rogue employee or RC would not generate the money it does. WHO'S IN CHARGE????? 
Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

• 2,054 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Slack is for children who like to dress like hipsters and play .com startup.

You got your answer, man. They said they're working on it. They're not going to give you a timeframe and if you want to keep using RC, you'll just have to use workarounds like everyone else. They know their business is suffering because of the time it takes for them to implement user requested functionality, but they will survive because the next best thing to RC honestly... is Hangouts.

Photo of Denis Cowley

Denis Cowley

"Slack is for children who like to dress like hipsters and play .com startup."  :)

We are finding that out about Slack but they do respond quickly and with firm yes or no's. Rumor has it that a $5,000 work around with Zapier was out there for Glip. If so, that could get us by until RC makes movement. I'll keep everyone posted if the Zapier work around is indeed viable. Sad that Glip doesn't just do it and then say here's the $$$ amount for your upgrade.
Photo of Justin Jorgensen

Justin Jorgensen

• 246 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I don't see how Zapier can do this inside Glip, since there is no mechanic to do so. I have gone through all the offerings with Zapier, and all they can do in Glip is post comments. 
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

• 67,970 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hey there! I followed up with the Product Team on this and it is planned :) I'll learn more about a solid ETA probably late Q2 or sometime in Q3. This is very important and part of the effort in creating app parity. 
Photo of Denis Cowley

Denis Cowley

Sadeet,
This is very good news. Some folks here been waiting a long time.  Let's hope sooner than later. Appreciate the effort. Stay vigilant, please :)
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

Thanks, Denis! Really appreciate it :)
Photo of Bryan Hoff

Bryan Hoff

HI Saadet, any update on progress to save contacts to Glip app?
Photo of Denis Cowley

Denis Cowley

Yes, 2 months have flown by..Interested in a progress report myself. Trying to be patient but I've got problems internally that this can help with.
Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

• 2,182 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Shut up, heathens. You got your answer already. They're going to think it over in Q3. Now go back to your caves.
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

Now, now, it's ok to check in every once in a while ;) 

So far I haven't been given that solid ETA. But I'll follow up and see if that has changed :)
Photo of Jessica Fynboh

Jessica Fynboh

• 62 Points
Hoping this happens soon!!! 
Photo of Mark Edwards

Mark Edwards

• 66 Points
Hoping for this quarter since it's Q3 now!
Photo of Evan Faller

Evan Faller

• 74 Points
Any update on this?  Was it Q3 of 2019 or is it Q3 of 2020 on being able to add a contact name to incoming text numbers?  I want to switch to the new app for IOS, but without the names and so many similar conversations, it is not something I can do yet.   
Photo of Evan Faller

Evan Faller

• 74 Points
Any update on this?  Was it Q3 of 2019 or is it Q3 of 2020 on being able to add a contact name to incoming text numbers?  I want to switch to the new app for IOS, but without the names and so many similar conversations, it is not something I can do yet.   
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

Hey Evan, I was hoping to learn more about an ETA by Q3 of this year. However, I just followed up today and there is still no ETA but they are aware of the ask and know it needs to be addressed
Photo of Denis Cowley

Denis Cowley

Saadet - Why don't your guys level with us [the consuming bill payer]. There has to be a reason RC is not doing this other than their programmers lack the ability to get it done. If its a money thing I'm willing to pony up for sure. The real reason would help and not make it appear you guys are inept or just don't care. I could understand them even saying, "It's just not important to us right now."... with that said, it would allow many of us to move on from Glip and RC and seek a solution via another avenue. 
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

Hey Denis, I know it's frustrating to hear that this feature isn't coming out soon. Right now, there are many features on the docket. The main thing that's being worked on right now is creating app parity between the RC Phone and RingCentral mobile apps. The Product Team should finish with that project by end of this year.
Photo of Stephen Beavers

Stephen Beavers

It WOULD be quite satisfying to have real answers as to why this can't be done sooner.  Is there a list of most requested feature changes?  I would think this is high on that list, but I don't know without answers.
Photo of Denis Cowley

Denis Cowley

Thanks Saadet. My whole company uses RC phones and then at night the RC mobile app if they are out and 'on call'. We've been 100% RC for several years and maintain virtual offices in many states...with all that said those work fantastic even when in foreign countries. Could you elaborate as to what problem they are trying to solve because all of our things work fantastic.
Photo of Sylvia P

Sylvia P

• 154 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
It is important we can add contacts. Meaning when our clients call in we can see who is calling us. With Dial pad I was able to put first last name and their customer ID so when they called in I was able to great my preferred client and had his account pulled up. As you can see that is a priority. 
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

Hey Denis, we're working on creating a unified application (both for desktop and mobile) :) Instead of having the RingCentral Meetings app, the RingCentral Phone app, and the Glip (team messaging) app - we've combined all of it to a singular app which is the RingCentral app (the R logo). 

So the Product Team is working on getting all functionality from the 3 apps, into one!
Photo of Denis Cowley

Denis Cowley

Quien sabe [who knew]. I took the the Phone app off a year ago and installed the Glip app on my phone. It seems to work the same and I get phone calls and such like before. I thought they were unified..duh. You can take the boy out of the country but can't take the country out of the boy. Just too dazed to not know they weren't. If someone wants to call or video me, the phone Glip app was doing it all. Can't wait to see how the unified one performs. Thanks for this update. 
Photo of MEDINA

MEDINA

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled RingCentral Desktop App - Add ability to rename profile under Messages to display....

Opened case 08855199 asking about RingCentral Desktop App not displaying my contact names under Messages.

Instead, it is showing their phone numbers. I tried renaming each profile but I don't have ability to rename. 

I attached below screenshot to help with visual representation of my ask. We have a huge list of contacts being displayed as phone numbers. It would be very helpful to know who these messages are coming from by name instead of phone number. 

We us messaging to dispatch our drivers so we are constantly receiving messages from same people.

Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

• 1,968 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
It doesn't display names because it doesn't know their names. It doesn't access your database from RC Phone, nor does it allow you to build one of your own for the RC App.

What is needed is a modifiable database for RC App as well as an import ability from RC Phone, Outlook Contacts and Google Contacts.

Sorry, mate. Minimum 4 months before anything resembling a fix appears.

Photo of Denis Cowley

Denis Cowley

There's a big need for this. Been screaming about it for months. Offered to pay for custom programming or a monthly charge for this...nothing, nada, zilch. We are told maybe or sometime in the future, meanwhile Glip, which has huge potential, lays unused in a pinned Chrome tab, while Slack and MS Teams are lapping up the revenues. 
Photo of Greg Stevens

Greg Stevens

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Actual names in the Dashboard, instead of phone numbers...?.

When I have a call set up with someone, I text them 10 minutes before I call them to let them know I'm calling from a number they may not recognize.  This number gets added into Dashboard as a number, not as a name.  I cannot edit the profile to change that to a name, so I'm stuck with having a huge list of numbers and have no idea who is who.  I often end up texting a lot with some of the appointments and it's a pain not having their name...just their number...in the Dashboard.  How can these numbers be changed to names?  Sure hope there is a way...thanks!

Photo of Denis Cowley

Denis Cowley

Exactly Greg. I've offered to pay for custom programming for this and I get nothing except a canned reply. Someone said it may take months but they've known about it for years. There is no way right now as I and others have pleaded with them for a need. We can only hope a board member or CEO reads this so they can light the fire that's needed.