Glip & Windows Server 2008 R2 TS Environment

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Answered
Hello Everyone, 

I am wondering if anyone has installed Glip on a Windows 2008 TS environment. I saw a post regarding the desktop app but, I am not sure if it would be any different. I did review the requirements page and noticed Windows 7 + is recommended. We would not be using the telephony function with Glip. I am planning to replace a less secure IM service and hope Glip will be the answer since we would be able to sign in using out RC credentials and that would make onboarding sooooooo much easier. 

I plan on checking out resource demands in a smaller scale testing environment once that gets set up. 

Our organization supports about 130 users spread across 8 terminal servers at a time. We will be upgrading to Server 2012 soon so, if it is not recommended for our OS at this time we can definitely wait a couple months. 

I apologize if any needed information is missing but, please feel free to reach out. 
Photo of Alex Navarro

Alex Navarro

• 148 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Sam - U.S. Support

Sam - U.S. Support, Employee

• 1,688 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hello Alex,

This is not something that we natively support, but in-theory it could work as long as you aren't using the telephony feature of glip as you stated.

One thing to note on resources is the memory demand of glip. It can use anywhere from 1-3gb of memory at any given time, depending on usage, which may cause an issue with 130 users on 8 terminal servers if they were all running it at the same time.

A good option may be to have these users use the web browser version of glip at www.glip.com. The web version is full-featured, and I believe it would be a much more reliable option for your use-case.

Thanks,
Sam